saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 01-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Center armrest

Does anyone have the optional center armrest on their Astra? Is it as durable as it looks? I can get one for about $100.
marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
czechers
czechers is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Center armrest

I did get the boomerang armrest from the dealer. My unbiased opinion:

It matches the vinyl on the dash perfectly.

It is nice on long trips.

The slide - out cupholder is the best reason to get it, as well as the storage inside.

The foam is thin... not bad on a short trip, but in driving to NY I ended up with about three elbow dents. They came back after a few days.

I drive a stick. I can shift around it, but in city driving or heavy stop and go I put it up. Also, it's in the way when you set the parking brake.

All in all I am glad I got it, because I think it looks nice, offers additional storage, and the cupholder is way more convenient than the original one. And if it gets in the way, you just push it up!
2008 Astra XR 3 Door
5 speed
Black Sapphire
Leather, 18's
Holding out for one of those cool Astra Aftermarket Stereos!
czechers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
TonyBaloney
TonyBaloney is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I second. My only concern is that and side to side motion could break it. If I remember right when I installed it the screws holding the front sides aren't that big or strong. But other than being a total pain in the ass to install, I'd recommend it.
TonyBaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
dubstyl86
dubstyl86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBaloney View Post
I second. My only concern is that and side to side motion could break it. If I remember right when I installed it the screws holding the front sides aren't that big or strong. But other than being a total pain in the ass to install, I'd recommend it.
I recommend it also and it makes high speed turns much easier to brace for, and feels stable as any part of the car.
dubstyl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I also agree with the 2 posts above. I have it, its durable, and the finish is a very good match. You get used to it being there, but its hinged so if its in the way you can always tilt it up a bit, or all the way. Install is a little annoying because its a snug fit and will seem like it doesnt fit. You either need to be pretty strong, or have a set of extra hands to hold open the back while you push it in. 100 is a good price for one.
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
00PowderSpecial
00PowderSpecial is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I got mine installed before I picked up the car. It feels stable, but with a drink in the cup holder I find it akward to shift. And the black whatever material doesn't match the charcoal leather seats 100% but I still like it.
2008 Saturn Astra XR 3 Door Twilight Blue - Tinted 18" Wheels to come in the spring
1999 Ford Ranger 4x4 SuperCab 4.0L
2008 Suzuki DRZ-400 SuperMoto
00PowderSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
Adam Opel
Adam Opel is on a distinguished road

I had ordered it with the car for CAD 175, but I returned it because I thought it didn't match the original quality of the car. It looks like a slap-on just like the rear-view mirror. It rattles a lot and the top cover is actually very cheap PVC vinyl. I worked in awnings for a while and for example I had very similar material that was used to make cooler curtains for beer stores throughout Ontario (yep, I made those). If I go to Europe this summer I may pick up an original armrest, but it doesnt come with a cupholder.
Adam Opel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:57 AM   #8
bitz_dv
bitz_dv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
Does anyone have the optional center armrest on their Astra? Is it as durable as it looks? I can get one for about $100.
If you don't mind me asking, where can you get one for $100, last I checked, dealer wanted $200+, Boomerang rep would go $190, but shipping from Colorado killed it, and I have seen it as low as $150 on Ebay, and although the Ebay one I saw claimed it was a genuine GM part, they never actually state that it was a "Boomerang" brand armrest, so I was weary.
I used to beat up cars, then I got a Saturn.
-Bitz
bitz_dv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
Webology
Webology is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitz_dv View Post
If you don't mind me asking, where can you get one for $100, last I checked, dealer wanted $200+, Boomerang rep would go $190, but shipping from Colorado killed it, and I have seen it as low as $150 on Ebay, and although the Ebay one I saw claimed it was a genuine GM part, they never actually state that it was a "Boomerang" brand armrest, so I was weary.
Get the GM part number for the product, and order it from a non-saturn dealer. Then you can get it at wholesale. which for me was $150 including install
Webology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #10
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitz_dv View Post

Employee discount. Yes, it is a boomerang.
marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #11
88ls1blazer
88ls1blazer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
Employee discount. Yes, it is a boomerang.
Thats funny... I set up an account with boomerang since the company I work for does ALOT of work for the local dealers and 100 is WAY cheaper then the dealers buy it for... You have to buy 25 at a time just to get cost down below 130 and every dealership is treated as a different account...
88ls1blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #12
czechers
czechers is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Opel View Post
I had ordered it with the car for CAD 175, but I returned it because I thought it didn't match the original quality of the car. It looks like a slap-on just like the rear-view mirror. It rattles a lot and the top cover is actually very cheap PVC vinyl. I worked in awnings for a while and for example I had very similar material that was used to make cooler curtains for beer stores throughout Ontario (yep, I made those). If I go to Europe this summer I may pick up an original armrest, but it doesnt come with a cupholder.
It may not be the same "quality" of material, but the texture is an exact match to the dash as well as the door panels (not the leather, but the vinyl). And hey, if it breaks in any way, it is covered by the manufacturer's 3yr/36000 or my extended 5/60000 that I bought with the car, since I had it installed at delivery.
2008 Astra XR 3 Door
5 speed
Black Sapphire
Leather, 18's
Holding out for one of those cool Astra Aftermarket Stereos!
czechers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #13
hoody123
hoody123 is on a distinguished road

I had mine installed at the Saturn dealer a couple of months after I bought my car, so I can't speak to the ease/difficulty in installing.

I almost didn't buy the Astra specifically because it didn't have an armrest but decided I could live without it. When I bought the car (in July 08) it either wasn't available, or the salesperson I was dealing with wasn't knowledgable enough to know about it. Now that I"ve got it, I can't imagine being without it again (I put it up every now and again just to remember how crappy it was to be without it).

I didn't even know about the cupholder for the first month or so that I had it . I've got the manual, so I'm thinking that the cupholder would be useful while on the highway when you're not shifting too frequently, but anything bigger (or more specifically TALLER) than a coffee cup would really get in the way when you tried to shift IMO.

I don't honestly recall how much I paid for it, I probably woulda paid more cause I lovessssss the armrests
hoody123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #14
gsrboi80
gsrboi80 is on a distinguished road

Group Buy???????
03 TB EVO VIII (PT61mm BB) 450awhp Pump Gas (Weekend Warrior)
08 Blue Saturn Astra, 18's, and Leather (Daily Grind)
gsrboi80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:55 PM   #15
bitz_dv

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrboi80 View Post
Group Buy???????
If it can be knocked down to $100 USD, hell yea, count me in!
-Bitz
Old 01-20-2009, 11:58 PM   #16
bitz_dv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webology View Post
Get the GM part number for the product, and order it from a non-saturn dealer. Then you can get it at wholesale. which for me was $150 including install
I contacted the company that produces it, even have a friend who is within miles who could pick it up from them, but they were unwilling to budge on price, it was the essentially the same cost as from the dealer. So who do they sell it to that I can get it wholesale from, barring a group buy?
-Bitz
Old 01-21-2009, 12:18 AM   #17
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Im pretty sure I paid 180 for mine at my local dealership taxes in (13%). I'll dig up my receipt and check though. Thats 180 canadian. so that would be about 150 total (at 13% tax) in US dollars
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:58 AM   #18
bitz_dv

Looks like I will have to make a trip to the parts counter at my dealership to see if there price has changed. I am willing to pay $100 for this, maybe $150, but for something that should kind of come with the car, I will not pay $200. The car excels in a lot of other areas, and I know they only had a short time to adapt the Astra for out market, but as far as Americans go (I'm not going to include our friends from up north on this one) for the most part we don't know what to do without an arm rest. Sure I got used to it in my SC1 when I removed it because it was so badly broken everywhere, but I still would like it for the storage if anything, so I don't have to lean over to the glove box to grab my phone charger or something while driving.
-Bitz
Old 01-21-2009, 03:35 AM   #19
2drsmansnrf
2drsmansnrf is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Here's one of our original threads when we first started installing the Boomerang armrest in our Astras. Photos and instructions are posted in it.
2drsmansnrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:20 AM   #20
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I have 2 questions on the arm rest...

1) Will a 1 liter soda/water bottle fit in it?

2) If so, is it remotely possible to shift the car with a 1 liter bottle inserted?

I looked at a floor model 5 door automatic with the arm rest already inserted and from what I remember it looked like a 1 liter would fit but I couldn't imagine shifting around one inserted.
2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote