SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 07:50 PM   #1
wmacblue
wmacblue is on a distinguished road

Dizzy "Real life" Vue Bumper Crash results (and insurance question)

You'll have to take my word on this, but it is a BAD idea to rerun rehearsal notes in your head while driving the New Jersey turnpike on a hot, congested Saturday...

Fortunately, I was doing well under 15 mph, and I'm happy to say that the VUE suffered no more damage than a slightly bent front licence-plate and the black, plastic "bug guard" pushed in a little bit (I pulled it back w/pliers and snapped it back into place).

The Lexus in front of me (the only car around me which did NOT pull forward when the traffic moved -- GRRRR!!) only seemed to have a couple of very small scratches; to be honest, the damange is SO minor that many people would have just walked away grumbling, but this bunch were really nasty along with it (they tried to persuade me to give them "$500 cash - then all this could just... go away.... I mean, isn't your deductible $500 <wink> <wink> Give us the cash instead...".)

So, bottom line - whatever the test results say, the VUE held up very nicely, thank you!

Now, can somebody tell me whether I HAVE to tell my insurance company about this? I'm not 100% sure the other side are going to phone it in, and I really, REALLY don't want to push my insurance rate up if I don't have to! But I also don't want to risk any repercussions if the other side DO phone it in, and I haven't done it first... (if you see what I mean) What's the correct way to do this?

The annoying thing is that my last accident was just about to "run out" (meaning that next March was 3 years since it happened) and now I'll be stuck with another one on the insurance books!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wmacblue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wmacblue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2002, 08:39 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

You should likely inform your company of the accident and what happened. Since you're not making a claim they don't have to worry about your car. But if the other people make a claim then if nothing else your company has a heads up on what is happening. It could save hassle in the long run.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2002, 10:46 PM   #3
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

Yes, report it and be very precise about the damage to the other car. Also state that they failed to move forward with the rest of traffic - it probably won't help you much, but it can't hurt.

If somebody did that to me - that is to get so bent out of shape then attempt to call it it a deal for $500, I'd call the police on the spot - if for no other reason than to get a fair and honest accident report. With a report, they can't stiff you three days later for neck injuries or a larger amount of damage that didn't occur. Without a report, it's your word versus theirs. And a picture in this case, could literally be worth a thousand $.

Hard to tell if the guy you hit was a major-league jerk or a con trying to steal from you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-09-2002, 01:07 AM   #4
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Yes, by all means call it in to your insurance company. The old "gimmie 500 bucks and I'll let it slide" thing is a scam. You give them 500 bucks... then 3 days later.. owww their neck hurts.. and you have no record of the payment. In the long run, it is a pain, but it is also covering your *****.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-09-2002, 11:29 AM   #5
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Roll Eyes

Whenever you exhanged insurance and license info with someone, always best to have a Police in place to authenticate.

It sounds like pain in the butt, but it's the sure way to protect your butt.....

And always report to your Insurance agent too (esp once you gave out Policy number to another party!). As long as there're no claims in between, your rate shouldn't go up.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread