SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2019, 06:09 PM   #1
mark38090
mark38090 has a spectacular aura aboutmark38090 has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default 2003 Vue AWD V6 Timing belt

I think my timing belt broke when I went to start my Vue today. How do I know for sure without damaging any internals?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mark38090's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mark38090 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mark38090 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2019, 10:32 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2003 Vue AWD V6 Timing belt

Presuming a 3.0L V6 engine and no easy way to see the timing belt except removing serpentine belt, belt tensioner, power steering and water pump pulley, and the passenger side engine mount before the timing cover can be removed for timing belt inspection, There may be one alternative to checking for a broken belt; manually rotating the crankshaft pulley by hand.

Manually rotating the crankshaft by hand will provide 100% feedback. Under most conditions, mechanical timing usually leaves spark plugs off to prevent compression pressures against hand turning an engine. Zero resistance as the engine is rotated. With our 3.0L V6 engine and several upper engine parts to remove before spark plugs can be removed, careful attention to compression resistance should be the only resistance to engine rotation. If the timing belt is damaged, mechanical timing will be incorrect and at least one piston will meet one valve resulting in the engine jammed without any further rotation possible. When manually rotating the engine thru the crankshaft pulley, if spark plugs are removed to allow easier rotation without compression in the way, either the engine will rotate 720 degrees freely or not. Intact timing belt will allow unlimited crankshaft rotations. A damaged or broken timing belt will stop as soons as one piston meets a valve in untimed mode.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:41 PM   #3
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

Belt is broke? Or it slipped? You can take off oil fill tube and see cams. Turn over crank (not easy) and see if cams move.
I would ask why you think belt is broke? Does motor crank oddly? Cranking motor with broke belt means damage is already done.
I bought a vue with mistimed belt. I could not rotate crank 360 by hand. So I redid timing and motor was able to turn 360. But it had no compression. So I pulled heads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:05 PM   #4
mark38090

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavell View Post
Belt is broke? Or it slipped? You can take off oil fill tube and see cams. Turn over crank (not easy) and see if cams move.
I would ask why you think belt is broke? Does motor crank oddly? Cranking motor with broke belt means damage is already done.
I bought a vue with mistimed belt. I could not rotate crank 360 by hand. So I redid timing and motor was able to turn 360. But it had no compression. So I pulled heads.
Cranks oddly. I went to leave for work and it didn't start but sounded odd when turning over.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mark38090 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

at least is it home. no towing. i talked to one seller who had leaky waterpump he said it will not start now. so, not good. coolant on belt usually means slip. and seller 2 had same issue but his was still running. though it is 60miles away. i had a coolant leak on another car and spun the belt but motor was non interference so i had no damage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2019, 06:58 AM   #6
mark38090

2003 VUE 3.0L

I found a complete engine with 65k miles for $800. I'm thinking I'll buy it and fix this thing. It didn't have any real value but it's a good vehicle. Since it's a third vehicle in a household of 2 people I've got the luxury to take my time and not be rushed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-03-2019, 05:14 PM   #7
Cavell
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

well, you could take off intake and pull heads as it would make removing the shortblock a bit easier. and than replace the bent valves. if you can pull the motor you can do the heads. valves are cheap. i think i got all the intakes for 60? unbolting the cats from manifolds is not fun. than you find out you need to remove 2 of the cams to unbolt the heads from block. and reverse process to install heads. the 3.0 is a picky motor

Last edited by Cavell; 12-03-2019 at 05:20 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!