SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2019, 10:04 PM   #1
Core-Lokt
Core-Lokt is on a distinguished road

Default Door Lock Questions

I recently bought an '05 Vue Base and I have some issues with the door locks. I got one key with the vehicle. I needed to have the windshield replaced, so a mobile service was to do it. However, when they came by, they said the doors were locked (I *thought* I left them unlocked). Since the only key was left inside in the event the windshield tech needed it, I had to get a locksmith out. While he was there, I had another key made.

The locksmith tries to stick the key in the door lock, and it won't go. He thinks he made an error and makes another key. He tries it in the ignition, and it works. Puzzled, he tries my original key and says it won't go into the door lock, either. He then asks me if I have the fob, and I tell him there is none. He felt strongly there ought to be one, and suggested I get one online, as they're inexpensive and easy to program. He also said it's possible the ignition switch was replaced, and the key won't work on the doors.

Meanwhile, there is a lock/unlock rocker switch near the power window switches. Pressing it does nothing, either way. The clutch was replaced before I bought it, and it's possible that switch is either broken or disconnected when the shifter was presumably removed. I'll look into that, this weekend. I know the power window switch was disconnected, as it was inoperable, and the cubbyhole by the shifter was not put back. That plug was visible, though.

Lastly, there is a circular space where a key lock seems like it ought to be on the liftgate, but no slot. Perhaps there is no provision for manually unlocking the liftgate with a key?

In short, what I'd like to know is:

1) Did base-model Vues come with a keyless fob standard or in an optional package? I got a pair, as they weren't costly.

2) If so, does anyone definitively know how to program one? Searching online, I see A: It must be done at a dealer or locksmith B: Use a jumper wire on two ports method C: Press door unlock switch and initiate programming sequence described online.

3) If that (I guess) master lock switch by the power window switches is disconnected or defective, could it prevent inserting a key in the exterior door lock? Or is the locksmith's guess on the ignition might've been replaced more likely? Perhaps something to do with the interior electric lock switch on the doors?

4) Is there no external lock for the liftback? If not, I guess where the keyhole should be was deliberately blocked off in the liftgate latch handle. Or is that switch by the shifter close to the power window switches for the liftgate?

Thanks in advance for any help. There's no owner's manual (of course), and online information is short.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Core-Lokt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Core-Lokt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Core-Lokt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2019, 10:57 PM   #2
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
Default Re: Door Lock Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core-Lokt View Post
...There's no owner's manual (of course), and online information is short.
You will find an owner's manual at this website.

https://justgivemethedamnmanual.com/...owners-manual/

Scroll down the page and you will find the pdf download (3MB) link. You can also look at the manual online to see if it is what you want.

Saturn 1998 - SL2
Singer 1952 - 301A

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:32 AM   #3
Core-Lokt
Core-Lokt is on a distinguished road

With the help of the manual, I now know the partial answer to question 3; that switch has nothing to do with the door locks. That is a rear door window lock-out switch.

It seems that Vues should have keyless fobs, also. Apparently, that is how to unlock the liftgate if the doors aren't locked. So questions 1 and 4 are solved.

All I'm left with is to figure out is about why I can't insert a key into the external door locks. IDK if it's to do with programmable locking, the Theft Deterrent System , or the possibility that the ignition lock was changed. I've seen plenty of times where a key wouldn't work, but never where a key wouldn't at least partially enter a lock cylinder.

Only thing left to definitively solve is the fob programming procedure. I'll look again on YouTube, but if anyone knows if it's either the jumper wire method or pressing the door lock switch to initiate the process, please post here. Again, thanks for any help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Core-Lokt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Core-Lokt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Core-Lokt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

please read this thread - Re: Programming Keyless Entry 2005 VUE?

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=197411

online information

https://blog.keylessentryremotefob.c...ob-remote.html

"...There is no onboard programming procedure for this vehicle. This vehicle requires special equipment be connected to the vehicle to program the keyless remote. Try a locksmith before the dealership, they are usually 50% the cost...."

Saturn 1998 - SL2
Singer 1952 - 301A

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:31 PM   #5
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

for what it's worth, I got an acdelco for mine, and it works flawlessly. but that being said, you can get generic replacements on ebay for a lot less.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2 Ride's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote