SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 06-30-2020, 12:50 AM   #1
captsam
captsam is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
1996 SL2
Default Anyone actually used 0W20 Synthetic in their S-Series?

Still have my old '97 SW2 and '92 SL1. Don't drive them much these days... both around the 200K mark +/- a few thousand. I've used 10W30 for the life of both cars. I've skimmed through some of the threads. Many have "talked" about using 0W20, but haven't come across any threads where folks have actually used it. I was curious if anyone has done it, and what the results were? I'm guessing it's probably not good for an older car, especially ones that have only run the same weight oil their entire lives. Thanks in advance for any input.
captsam is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2020, 07:06 AM   #2
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Anyone actually used 0W20 Synthetic in their S-Series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captsam View Post
Still have my old '97 SW2 and '92 SL1. Don't drive them much these days... both around the 200K mark +/- a few thousand. I've used 10W30 for the life of both cars. I've skimmed through some of the threads. Many have "talked" about using 0W20, but haven't come across any threads where folks have actually used it. I was curious if anyone has done it, and what the results were? I'm guessing it's probably not good for an older car, especially ones that have only run the same weight oil their entire lives. Thanks in advance for any input.
When I got my car from my brother in law, I found he had been running some lighter oil in Xw20....0? 5? I don't recall. I switched back to the recommended 5w30. Maybe I could squeeze some out of the trunk carpet and get it tested, as that's where much dirty oil ended up
2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:22 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The S-Series motor isn't built with tolerances close enough to need the super lightweight oil so all that will happen is more oil burning, more contamination of the oil control rings and even more oil burning.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:45 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Switching oil viscosity in theory doesn't present problems in good engines. One reason for 0w20 oil is up in the frozen north areas where summer temps may never go above 75F/23C and winter temps go below 0F/-17C. The 0 in 0w20 designates low temperature use for easier starting. While there are many never having trouble starting in winter with 10w30, subzero temps presents slower engine turnover. Those using electric heaters for startup know which oil viscosity is best.

If you're not living in the cold north of Canada, Alaska or Midwest states accustomed to below freezing temps in winter, 0w20 may not be a good oil for temperate climates.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:43 PM   #5
PrestonIII
PrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the roughPrestonIII is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1994 SL2

low viscosity oil presents less friction to the bearings, thus providing improved fuel economy.

It's light and pumps easier too.

But it requires that an engine have much tighter tolerances in the bearings and piston to cylinder wall.

S series Saturns weren't designed nor built with those close tolerances. PLUS as an engine gets some miles on it, the clearances open up. So that 0W20 and 5W20 oil isn't even good for a newer car with lots of miles on it.

Those low viscosity oils are the ones sold at oil change business as the standard oil because those places are looking to capture business from new/newer car owners. The thought about older cars is that their owners might just change their own oil, and wouldn't necessarily spend $60 for an oil change on a $750 car. BUT, if you want that heavier oil, they'll sell it to you for a $20+ premium over the standard oil, and they'll call it "high mileage oil".

Preston
PrestonIII is offline   Reply With Quote