SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2018, 03:14 PM   #1
Bearded1mx3
Bearded1mx3 will become famous soon enough

Default Aem fi/c 6

So I'm curious if anyone on these boards have tried this instead of megasquirt. My buddy gave me one for free. I'm curious if itll even work. I emailed AEM and the rep responded saying that it is a universal piggyback system and will work with the 97 sl1 I gots.

Also if anyone can point me in the direction of where to start with installing these piggybacks. A general write up even on megasquirt will work because it should be about the same. I've searched...maybe I've missed it but all I got was a bunch of tuning specific questions or will it work questions. I was going to do megasquirt but looking on the DIY website I couldn't figure out what I needed to order.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bearded1mx3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bearded1mx3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bearded1mx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Aem fi/c 6

I peeked at the blurbs for that system. It seems to me that it will only retard spark and reduce injection PW from what the OEM is trying for. That is far from the versatility that a MegaSquirt would offer. However, if it is free...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:00 PM   #3
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Quite an expensive system, and our cars already squeeze the fuel for 40+ mpg.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:30 PM   #4
Bearded1mx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
I peeked at the blurbs for that system. It seems to me that it will only retard spark and reduce injection PW from what the OEM is trying for. That is far from the versatility that a MegaSquirt would offer. However, if it is free...
I guess I'm missing the important tho gs to look for with a ECU piggyback. MORE RESEARCH IT IS!!!!
But will this suffice for a low boost supercharger setup... any thoughts. I can move on to the megasquirt eventually but I have almost everything together for the headswap with a supercharger. Still trying to decide if I want to Fab a custom tuned intake or do that later.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bearded1mx3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2018, 01:00 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

There's another, possibly cheaper option (well, not if the AEM was free...lol) that I can't remember the name of if you just want a useless piggyback system...

OH! Apexi SAFC 2. Install guide with broken pictures: http://www.scottjsousa.com/tsn/articles/SAFCInstall.htm
Looks like $150-$250 to purchase one on eBay, didn't check far enough to see if those are 'new' prices or 'used'.

If going for FI or NOS in the future, a piggyback system really isn't enough so if you're going to purchase anything right now for tuning go for the Megasquirt and save time/money down the road.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:38 AM   #6
Bearded1mx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
There's another, possibly cheaper option (well, not if the AEM was free...lol) that I can't remember the name of if you just want a useless piggyback system...

OH! Apexi SAFC 2. Install guide with broken pictures: http://www.scottjsousa.com/tsn/articles/SAFCInstall.htm
Looks like $150-$250 to purchase one on eBay, didn't check far enough to see if those are 'new' prices or 'used'.
If going for FI or NOS in the future, a piggyback system really isn't enough so if you're going to purchase anything right now for tuning go for the Megasquirt and save time/money down the road.
Well that's a kick in the nutz but it's the one I needed AEM will be shelved for a future project. Is there a write up I'm missing on what to order with mega....I dont mind assembling just dont know what to order.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Probably little to nothing on it here on SaturnFans, but sixthsphere.com has TONS of info.
example: https://sixthsphere.com/showthread.p...iagram-How-tos

The cost of MegaSquirt really depends on what you want it to control...fuel only is pretty cheap, fuel & spark is really all that's required and medium priced...full on PCM replacement is rather pricey (though, I believe it's still under $700 fully assembled).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #8
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Is the SL1 a manual trans or auto (TAAT)?

I always recommend the MS3 "kit", you get all the available features, or easy upgrade path to them, at only slight increase in cost.

Oops... I just realized you have also been posting on the MS forum. A lot of this has already been "asked and answered". Sorry for the redundancy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2018, 02:45 PM   #9
billr
Master Member

I will add, however, that you are going to have to control both fuel and spark, "fuel only" isn't an option. Also note that you may well have to do a lot of re-tuning if you start with one system and then migrate to another (as opposed to upgrading from one MS to another). You can get the AEM for free, but what about the turbo? Does that all come for free, including the new exhaust and intake plumbing? Tuning an install is probably not free either, even if you do it on the street and only have to pay for gas. My point is that the initial cost of the MS is probably not the most significant in the overall project. And, the help you can get from the MS community is "priceless". Ask AEM for schematics of their boards or source-code for the ECU program, see what they offer...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2018, 04:03 AM   #10
Bearded1mx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
I will add, however, that you are going to have to control both fuel and spark, "fuel only" isn't an option. Also note that you may well have to do a lot of re-tuning if you start with one system and then migrate to another (as opposed to upgrading from one MS to another). You can get the AEM for free, but what about the turbo? Does that all come for free, including the new exhaust and intake plumbing? Tuning an install is probably not free either, even if you do it on the street and only have to pay for gas. My point is that the initial cost of the MS is probably not the most significant in the overall project. And, the help you can get from the MS community is "priceless". Ask AEM for schematics of their boards or source-code for the ECU program, see what they offer...
Yeah the AEM is out too much work for not the result I want. MS is it for sure. I'll wait it out and do other mods in the mean time. And it not going to be turbo I'm using the IHI screw type charge from the mazda millenia s

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #11
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

I microsquirted my GLH, cost more around $1500.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=232453

Quote:
A general write up even on megasquirt will work because it should be about the same.

This picture should help.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #12
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Itís interesting they sell this. Is it legal to sell in some states? Here itís certainly not here since any aftermarket parts that could effect emissions must be approved by the state.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #13
billr
Master Member

OK, my mistake in assuming the "forced induction" would be a turbo. But is the IHI blower free? I think my point about costs is still relevant.

Post more questions on the MS forum, you will get endless help there. We only responded to your initial post as well as possible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #14
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

"IHI screw type charge from the mazda millenia s" is probably a roots type belt driven supercharger. Forced induction can be either turbo or super charger.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:20 AM   #15
Bearded1mx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
"IHI screw type charge from the mazda millenia s" is probably a roots type belt driven supercharger. Forced induction can be either turbo or super charger.
Its 100% screw which is the only reason I chose it ove turbo. Incase anyone else wanted a different boost ides on the millenia stock 2.3 the SC setup puts out 17psi. Granted it's on a Miller cycle engine but it's still capable of that. And it's a nice size for us.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!