SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Seat heater install with pictures....

Yesterday I installed a seat heater in my 2001 SL1 MT drivers seat. I had previously upgraded my seats to leather from a donor SL2.

Once I was well into the job I figured that I should be taking some pictures of the process since I haven't come across this mod on Saturnfans.com. Here is a document with pictures of the process.

I didn't include the seat removal, seat installation or the in car wiring as it has been covered before.

Seat Heater Installation

Once the driverís seat has been removed from the car you can begin the process of disassembling the seat to access the seat cushions under the seat cover. For this application the seat was from a 2001 SL2 model with leather seat covers. The SL1 model will be different; I recall reading that the seat covers are adhered to the cushions with adhesive. Previous generation of SL2 seats may vary as well.

Remove the side trim by removing the height adjustment knob, seat back adjustment lever handle and unscrewing the 2 screw holding the trim piece to the seat frame.

Unclip the seat cover from the frame by accessing the clips from the bottom side of the seat. There are 3 j-clips on the front, one at the back and one on each side. I made a tool to hook the j-clip and pull it away from the metal frame mount position. This was especially helpful for the larger clips at the front and back.

**Photo credit to alordofchaos @ saturnfans.com

Once the seat cover is unclipped, you can fold up the edges of the seat cover to expose the metal stays which are attached with 2 hog rings to the seat frame. You can cut the hog rings off if you intend to replace them or use some needle nose pliers to bend and open them. You only need to remove them from one side to expose the area where the seat heater is going to be installed.

Youíll note that the seat cushion is also attached across the leg bolster seam with Velcro which complicates the installation a bit. The following pictures will show how I addressed this so as not to compromise the carbon fiber elements or the design of the seat.

Mark the position of the Velcro in relation to the desired position of the heating pad.

To be continued on next post.......

2001 SL1 MT (423,500 km @ 10/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (267,940 km @ 10/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (116,506 km @ 10/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: Seat heater install with pictures....

Continued from previous post....

Hold the carbon fiber heating pad to the light and mark off the element grid pattern. This will make it easier to cut out when laid out on a flat cutting surface.

Carefully cut out the material between the carbon fiber elements.

Once the cut-outs have been completed you can adhere the seat heater to the foam cushion making sure that the Velcro will make contact with the seat cover by pressing the seat heater into the channel where the Velcro is housed.

Replace the seat cover using the reverse steps. Replace or reuse the hog rings to attach the stays and pull the seat over the sides and clip it back to the frame. Make sure you run the power wires out to the console side of the seat.

Next you can move to installing the seat heater to the seat back. At the base of the seat back youíll find some plastic j-clips that are the width of the seat. They interlock each other and you push them together to separate them. Youíll find working from one end using a flat tool to push will work well.

Once the j-clips are separated you can pull the seat cover up about 3 inches until you expose 2 vertical stays that are attached with hog rings about 3 inches up from the bottom. Cut or open the hog rings to release the stays and you can pull them out. Continue pulling the seat cover up until youíve exposed enough cushion to apply the seat heater. Youíll note that there is a horizontal strip of Velcro in the seat back as well that you will need to handle in similar fashion as the seat base.

***note in the picture above that there is a wooden dowel in the upper part of the seat cushion that the stays need to hook under when you reassemble***

Pull the seat cover down and insert the metal stays into their sleeves and route under the wooden dowels noted in the picture. Reattach or replace the hog rings on the metal stays and continue to pull the seat cover down. Route the power wires out the bottom side closest to the console and reattach the j-clips.

Route you wiring through the console and install the switch in the location you desire. I installed the switch in the console just above the gear shift as pictured.

There are recommendations for connecting the wiring harness to the cars power within other Saturnfans.com posts. Generally it is advised to route a new power source from the battery and use a relay that is connected to the accessories power to ensure that they are only powered when the car is running. The existing accessories power is not sufficient.

Once the wiring is in place then you can reinstall the seat and connect the seat heaters plugs into the wiring harness in the console.

<End>

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
tunedbysaturnsl
tunedbysaturnsl is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Great write-up! I intend on doing this to my SL1 in the near future. Thanks!

1995 Saturn SL1 "Abby"-Powertrain Swap Completed. Running As Of 07/27/2013
1997 Mitusbishi GST "Phoebe"

Looking For:
Saturn Blimp plush
Homecoming Saturn Logo "Lost Form Cast" piece

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tunedbysaturnsl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tunedbysaturnsl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tunedbysaturnsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
Ramics
Advanced Member
Ramics is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

Factory look installation! Great Job!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ramics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ramics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ramics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Awesome job, and I was about to chime in here with "use a relay"... lol

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

In relation to wiring power I should add a link to the f-5 thread to save others from searching for it.

Here it is >> http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=173890&page=2

....and adventureoflink's video >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjP2yyrlNQw

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
EHuntress
EHuntress is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1992 SC

Fantastic!

I was going to do this when I took my driver's seat apart to firm up and support the seat. I just didn't have the time to wait for the part. And after re-assembly, I'm not apt to take it apart again. After adding so much stuffing to the seat it was a tough cover to put back on.

My car heats up so fast, I'm not worrying about the heated seat now.

http://thatsaturnchic.wordpress.com
Owner of a 1999 SL2 Saturn (manual trans)
Original 1997 SL2 Saturn owner RIP
Owner of a 1992 SC Saturn Coupe, AACA 1st Junior winner!!!
Owner of a 1993 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EHuntress's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EHuntress reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EHuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #8
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
In relation to wiring power I should add a link to the f-5 thread to save others from searching for it.

Here it is >> http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=173890&page=2

....and adventureoflink's video >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjP2yyrlNQw
Like my 2001 SL1 from the original post I've installed seat heaters in my 99 SL2 this past month and thought to put together some photos of the wiring from the Under Hood Junction Box (UHJB) to the seat heaters using a relay so they are on a switched circuit. The wiring is contained within the center console and behind the Interior Panel Junction Box (IPJB).

This puts everything into the one post for anyone tackling this modification. I've also shown a different location for switches for a GEN2 as they will not fit in the same location as the GEN3 shown earlier in the thread.

The wiring photographed is for a GEN2 but it is the same for GEN1 and GEN3 except the switched brown wire terminates at C6 and C12 respectively rather than F12 within the terminal block.

This wiring configuration can be used for any accessory requiring switched power and/or re-configuring your lighter onto a new circuit to avoid the F5 issue. The relay harness wire for pin 87 is your power wire and you can use any existing ground point within the car.

Here's a list of parts required...
  • 1/4" ring terminal (x2)
  • in-line weather resistant fuse holder
  • 20 or 30 Amp fuse
  • 14 gauge wire (red)
  • 30 Amp automotive relay with diode
  • Relay harness
  • 14 gauge wire (black, optional for extending ground wires)
  • Weather resistant shrink tubing
  • Self stripping tap connector (1)
  • Zip ties or Velcro cable ties
  • Seat heater kit (heat pads(4), harness(2), switch(2)

Tips...
  • Start the installation by disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery.
  • Route the fused power wire under the dash ensuring it will not chaff on any sharp metal under the dash en-route to the rear of the IPJB where the relay will be installed.
  • I've specified "Relay with diode" but you can use one without; you just have to add a diode across pins 85 and 86 to prevent possible PCM (BCM) issues which may potentially disable you car.
  • I've chosen to solder and shrink wrap my connections but you can use crimp connectors and shrink tubing if you want. That said, be prepared to trace down some bad connections sometime in the middle of the depths of winter. Ask me how I know .... solder and shrink tubing is preferred.

Here are the descriptive photos...

Here are the switch locations I think work the best for a GEN2. There is just enough room between the cup holder and shifter for the switches to poke through without interfering. For a GEN2 I prefer the top as per the photos earlier on in the tread.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seat Heater Install 1.1.jpg (151.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Seat Heater Install 1.2.jpg (161.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Seat Heater Install 1.3.jpg (168.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Seat Heater Install 1.4.jpg (152.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Seat Heater Install 1.5.jpg (171.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Seat Heater Install 1.6.jpg (135.2 KB, 40 views)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

Last edited by trottida; 11-07-2018 at 01:33 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2018, 10:42 PM   #9
Keblar
Keblar is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Awesome write ups!

I'm sure I must have missed it somewhere (maybe on another post), but where did you source the elements from? Was it a Saturn option that you're adapting, or are the elements basically the same design on all heated seats?

2002 SL2 ~300k Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Keblar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Keblar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Keblar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:05 AM   #10
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keblar View Post
Awesome write ups!

I'm sure I must have missed it somewhere (maybe on another post), but where did you source the elements from? Was it a Saturn option that you're adapting, or are the elements basically the same design on all heated seats?
They are generic aftermarket carbon fiber seat heater kits.

The first ones I purchased for the SL1 were eBay specials and I had to replace the the carbon fiber pads after a couple seasons. The wire harness was decent though and they only cost about $60 if I recall.

The new ones I installed in the 99 SL2 as well as my 2011 Suburban came from Canada Seat Skins. I bought the 4 seat kit and used it to do 2 cars for a bit of savings. They are much thicker and I expect them to last longer. They also come with a limited lifetime warranty.

While Canada Seat Skins sells direct to consumers it bases its main business on supplying to aftermarket installers. They were really quick and easy to deal with; I had him modify the contents of the order to remove the extension harness and add some extra switches. No additional cost and not even any hesitation. I just sent them an email right after ordering on-line.

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

Last edited by trottida; 11-08-2018 at 12:12 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!