SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 01-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
Vagabondjpm
Vagabondjpm is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
Dizzy Stereo Swap - What am I looking at?

Well, I picked up me new Astra on Monday (great to drive) but I bough the base line and it has the 30 (?) HU in it and not the upgraded one. I'd like to switch to the upgraded HU (I want to use my IPod) but what am I looking at?

- Is it a direct connect in the wiring?
- I read somewhere about "divorcing" the unit if I buy it used. What is that about?
- Will there be a problem with not having the 7th speaker?
- Would it be worth it to buy if via the dealer or should I search for used?

If I've missed anything, please let me know.

A big THANK YOU for the newbie and THANKS for such a great forum.
Vagabondjpm is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Stereo Swap - What am I looking at?

Congrats on the new Astra!

Bad news though... Getting the '40' HU will not give you the ability to use an iPod. I have the 40 in mine and there is no iPod connection. The Astra's in the US have OnStar instead.
2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
TonyBaloney
TonyBaloney is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

when i set my onstar up the salesguy wanted me to sign up for the phone service. and i told him i have a cell phone. his pitch, well what if you forget your cell phone, you'll have on in the car. sorry, i just don't forget my cell phone. onstar seems to be a waste to me.
TonyBaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
kae
kae is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBaloney View Post
when i set my onstar up the salesguy wanted me to sign up for the phone service. and i told him i have a cell phone. his pitch, well what if you forget your cell phone, you'll have on in the car. sorry, i just don't forget my cell phone. onstar seems to be a waste to me.
Did you get the free 30 mins? I think that was something you can get to use within the 1st 60 days....and they offer you 100 mins for $14.99 for a year. I did that even though I have a cell also...because it really wasn't that much and the phone feature is actually pretty decent. I can't see buying the mins at regular price afterwards though so after my year is up I doubt I will use their phone feature, but for now it's not bad. Also, OnStar is more than just the phone feature so you may or may not decide that OnStar as a whole is a waste. At least you have/had it "free" for a year to ultimately decide.
kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Yeah, I don't 'use' OnStar either but I don't think it's totally useless because it does give vehicle diagnostics and such. Also nice if you're ever in a crash and disabled. I just wish they didn't put the controls on the rear view mirror - it makes it huge!
2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
kae

2008 VUE 2.4L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

Luckily on the 08 Vue it's not on the mirror. I did test drive the Saturns with it on the mirror and I didn't like it either.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
TonyBaloney
TonyBaloney is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I have gps so that feature is a waste. I don't need a vehicle diagnostic when I have mechanic friends. I have a cell phone so that feature isn't needed either. If I'm in a crash, there are enough people in this world that would see the accident and call 911. Call me young and dumb, but I'd rather save my money and get an ipod hookup.
TonyBaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #8
hrb5711
hrb5711 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Well I agree OnStar shouldn't take up the AUX input, but my friend was in a crash with no one around and OnStar helped out a lot. He wasn't badly injured just got pinned in his car and couldn't get out or find his cell phone. So OnStar helped out there, don't trash it yet.

As for the Ipod input your only two options are going through the radio (w/ a modulator or in-line set-up) or to replace the H/U.

I guess it makes more sense when you don't have the 6 disc changer in the Astra. I don't miss my MP3 player at all w/ 6 disc full of MP3s.

Hope this helps.
2008 Saturn Astra XR
2003 Saturn Vue (dead...miss that car.)
1999 Saturn SL-2 (It went against a F-150....and lost.)
hrb5711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:26 AM   #9
kae

2008 VUE 2.4L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBaloney View Post
I have gps so that feature is a waste. I don't need a vehicle diagnostic when I have mechanic friends. I have a cell phone so that feature isn't needed either. If I'm in a crash, there are enough people in this world that would see the accident and call 911. Call me young and dumb, but I'd rather save my money and get an ipod hookup.
I wouldn't call you dumb but I would say you're a bit naive to assume that there are enough people in the world that you are guaranteed that someone would see the accident and call 911. An iPod hookup is nice but the only thing it can save is your music choice boredom. And if your system plays MP3 dics then you can work around that issue too.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #10
Vagabondjpm
Vagabondjpm is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Well, I do not think OnStar is a complete waste. Yes, the navigation is (IMHO) useless. This diagnostic is nice but not necessary, that is what the idiot is for and you cannot do anything on the side of the road anyway. The emergency is good if there is a wreck as Iíve been in situations where the road I was on didnít have another car for miles. The phone, as worthless as it sounds, Iím reserving my opinion on. Yes, I never leave home without my cell phone BUT Iíve been in more than a few places where my phone didnít have signal. This is when having the OnStar phone will be nice. Will I continue the service after the year, not likely, but for now Iíll enjoy it.
Vagabondjpm is offline   Reply With Quote