SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 11-23-2023, 12:36 PM   #1
Bessarion
Bessarion is a jewel in the roughBessarion is a jewel in the roughBessarion is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default 2003 Ion 5spd Clutch problems.

My son told me that when driving in 4th gear, he was unable to shift into neutral. So he floated it into neutral using speed/RPMs, and when trying to shift into third, he heard a pop and then clutch pedal went to the floor. Now he is able to shift, but has no feedback from the clutch pedal as to when the clutch "bites," and he still has problems sometimes shifting from/to third and fourth. Anybody has any ideas? My feeling is a torsion spring in the clutch disc likely went. Other possibility is one of the splines in the pressure plate snapped, and finally, he may need a new master/slave cylinder.

Anybody has any other ideas?
Bessarion is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2023, 10:00 PM   #2
Anduu
Anduu is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: 2003 Ion 5spd Clutch problems.

Any problems getting into first from a stop?

The easiest thing to rule out is the master cylinder. They are easy as pie to change out.

I'm not totally convinced that is the problem though. As long as there is no load on the transmission it should be easy to pop it out of gear.

The hole the clutch hydraulic line goes through to the slave is big enough to insert a boresope. You could observe the slave cylinder and springs to see if they are ok.

Other than that you would be looking at a transmission out scenario to dig any deeper.
Anduu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 10:57 PM   #3
Bessarion
Bessarion is a jewel in the roughBessarion is a jewel in the roughBessarion is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 2003 Ion 5spd Clutch problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduu View Post
Any problems getting into first from a stop?

The easiest thing to rule out is the master cylinder. They are easy as pie to change out.

I'm not totally convinced that is the problem though. As long as there is no load on the transmission it should be easy to pop it out of gear.

The hole the clutch hydraulic line goes through to the slave is big enough to insert a boresope. You could observe the slave cylinder and springs to see if they are ok.

Other than that you would be looking at a transmission out scenario to dig any deeper.
Thanks!
Bessarion is offline   Reply With Quote