SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2007, 10:50 AM   #1
tjd83
tjd83 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Question Rebuilding a DOHC????

On the advice of an expereinced Saturn mechanic, I decided not to rebuild my engine. I'm swapping for another with lower milage, and I may tackle the rebuild over an extended period.

Here's the question, though. He claims that our engines have a balance shaft which makes it difficult to rebalance an engine after rebuilding. He says you need special tools, and it's a pain to get right.

Is that true? I don't recall seeing anything about balance shafts anywhere. What about those of you who have rebuilt a DOHC? Any balance or assembly problems?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tjd83's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tjd83 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tjd83 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
Greg1
Greg1 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Rebuilding a DOHC????

The 1.9s do not have balance shafts. I didn't think my engine was hard to assemble. In fact I thought the timing chain installation method is well designed. There is ALOT of info in the forum on engine rebuilding.

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:22 PM   #3
justin_zink
justin_zink is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

Itís surprising how smooth the engine runs with no balancing help. I also agree that it is really easy and you should try it. Its good experience, and you have got everyone here to answer questions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to justin_zink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help justin_zink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
justin_zink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:51 PM   #4
tjd83
tjd83 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

Thanks for the comments. I've already ordered a new engine, but that leaves my old engine ready for a full rebuild. A friend had kindly offered a (free!) engine stand, so I'll probably have a 99 DOHC on display in the garage for the forseable future.

We thought about just rebuilding my current engine, but based on the above comments, I bought a used one instead. I wish I'd known that the engine could be rebuilt, but at least this way I get to have some fun. Maybe I'll go wild, and build a turbo motor, ready to drop into whatever saturn I can find for cheap!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tjd83's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tjd83 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tjd83 is offline   Reply With Quote