SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
two_sl2s
two_sl2s is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
1996 SL2
Default '96 SL2 1.9 DOHC Oil in Coolant

This was one of the OH #&@* moments. My wife called to say the car was overheating. She thought there was antifreeze in the trunk, so when she got out of her doctors appointment, she added some .... oil .... I only found out when I noticed a foamy substance under the car.
Anyway that was a couple of months ago. I did my best to flush the system. I did several altering applications of plain water and water with dawn dish soap. I thought that I had gotten all of the oil, but the other day when I added some coolant, I noticed foam on top of the coolant again. Not much, but neverless foam from the oil.
I also noticed this morning that the heater isn't putting out near as much heat as it did previously. I suspect that the heater core is at least partially plugged.
My first thought is to drain the coolant, disconnect both lines to the heater core and back flush with water.
Any ideas on how to get the rest of the oil out of the system? Or other ideas to flush the heater core?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to two_sl2s's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help two_sl2s reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
two_sl2s is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1
Default Re: '96 SL2 1.9 DOHC Oil in Coolant

Back flushing the core is probably the best bet. As far as what removes the rest of it the best... sort of a crap shoot really. One of the ready made flushes might work well, but hard to tell what would cut through the oil well and not be too caustic as the same time.

At least you know why it is there. When I saw the thread title I thought you would be in need of a head gasket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Flush with hot water and TSP. Use a couple tablespoons of TSP and let the engine sit and idle until the thermostat opens. It wil boil over so shut it off as soon as the gauge reaches 1/2 or a bit before. Let it sit and cool and then start it up again and heat up. Do this 3 to 4 times and drain. TSP, trisodium phosphate, can be found in the paint section of t4h big box store or Amazon. This stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Savogran-10621.../dp/B0001GOGQW

Home Depot sells it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_sl2s View Post
This was one of the OH #&@* moments. My wife called to say the car was overheating. She thought there was antifreeze in the trunk, so when she got out of her doctors appointment, she added some .... oil .... I only found out when I noticed a foamy substance under the car.
Anyway that was a couple of months ago. I did my best to flush the system. I did several altering applications of plain water and water with dawn dish soap. I thought that I had gotten all of the oil, but the other day when I added some coolant, I noticed foam on top of the coolant again. Not much, but neverless foam from the oil.
I also noticed this morning that the heater isn't putting out near as much heat as it did previously. I suspect that the heater core is at least partially plugged.
My first thought is to drain the coolant, disconnect both lines to the heater core and back flush with water.
Any ideas on how to get the rest of the oil out of the system? Or other ideas to flush the heater core?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
two_sl2s
two_sl2s is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
1996 SL2

Thanks for the suggestion of TSP. I actually have a bottle of liquid I bought to wash the wall in prep for painting. At least I am pretty sure it is TSP. Anyway, since it is a liquid, I am sure the mixture would be a bit different.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to two_sl2s's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help two_sl2s reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
two_sl2s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Verify that it is actually TSP and if so dump in a bunch and let it clean up the mess.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote