SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2010, 01:00 AM   #1
DrEvil
DrEvil is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Default Hi....Q on a non-working horn

Hi,

I'm not really evil - just get a kick out of Austin Powers.

A friend of mine had the horn fuse blow, replaced it. Fuse has not blown, but horn does not work.

Anyone had this problem? Is it just a fried horn? Would it be a simple replacement and located in front of the radiator?

In advance, thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DrEvil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DrEvil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DrEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2
Default Re: Hi....Q on a non-working horn

When I bought my first Sat a few years ago it had a non functioning horn.

I also had a blown fuse.

After I replaced the fuse, the horn still did not work.

I replaced the horn with one from the wreckers and life was good again, did not have to replace the fuse twice.

I guess when they go, they have a tendency to wipe out the fuse as well.

The horn just behind the drivers side headlight.

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
Sid
Advanced Member
Sid will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2

My horn died years ago. I can't recall whether the fuse blew or not. I got a double horn from Harbor Freight and shoe-horned it in. Now my Saturn has a big boy horn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
Hi,

I'm not really evil - just get a kick out of Austin Powers.

A friend of mine had the horn fuse blow, replaced it. Fuse has not blown, but horn does not work.

Anyone had this problem? Is it just a fried horn? Would it be a simple replacement and located in front of the radiator?

In advance, thank you.
First need to know the year of the Saturn. The Gen-2 cars have a 3 terminal horn which can not be replaced with a parts store part. And, an attempt to do so will cause major problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
DrEvil

1998 SC2

BTW, the Saturn in question is a 1996....I had it on the profile but stating it for clarity.

Is it easy to replace the horn with a generic replacement?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DrEvil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil View Post
BTW, the Saturn in question is a 1996....I had it on the profile but stating it for clarity.

Is it easy to replace the horn with a generic replacement?
Missed it....

No it is not easy unless you can get an OEM 3 terminal horn from a J/Y. And the usual J/Y testing process kills them. They have a solid state relay inside of the horn and the horn buttons only control a very low current. the actual horn current is through the solid state relay. The horn is in the left fender well way up front. You can see it from underneath which is the easy way to get at it.

This is the wiring diagram of the horn. http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...n-wi/cat/12963

You can replace the horn with a 2 terminal horn and a relay though. Below is a parts list.

You will need a relay with the contact rating of 10amp or a bit more as your horn circuit is fused at 10a which will limit the max current.

This link shows and explains the reason for the diode across the coil. It is also a good idea to place one across the horn also as it will reduce the relay contact burning. http://mrmatix.com/relay-contacts.html

Low cost parts can be found here. http://www.allelectronics.com/
These relays and diode will work and these are the catalog numbers.
RLY 531 720 ohm, 10a/125vAC SPST N.O.
RLY 524 346 ohm, 10a/125vAC SPDT
Diode GI851 3a/100piv

The RLY 531 is probably the best one for a horn relay replacement.

You can wire the +12v to the horn with 18 gauge wire. You can find comparable relays and diodes at Radio Shack and 200 ohms is about as low as you want to go on coil resistance. All you have to have relay wise is a SPST N.O. relay rated at 10a contacts. (SPST = Single Throw Single Pole and N.O. = Normal Open deenergized)

The issue with the coil resistance is to limit the max continuous current that will flow through the horn contacts. Remember, they were designed to only switch the base current of a solid state switch.

And, this post thread, http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=151539 post #13 shows the construction drawing. Might wan t to read the entire thread as it will probably answer the rest of your questions.

The relay and replacement horn is the best approach as the relay will outlast any J/Y horn and will be cheaper in the long run.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
Sid
Advanced Member
Sid will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2

FYI, the Harbor Freight dual horn comes with a relay.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...set-99911.html

I sure don't remember wiring one in though. I should probably check. Thanks OldNuc.

96 SW2 5MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you have a 3 terminal horn then you have a relay. The HF relay will not do the job on a Saturn, don't even try as it is a conventional horn relay and you will burn up the horn buttons.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2010, 10:33 PM   #9
moresaturn
moresaturn is on a distinguished road

1998 SC1

I would suggest getting one out of a Junk Yard (or off me as I have a working 2nd gen horn) as they are much cheaper than a new one which is 50+ dollars. I bought a new one from Getsaturnparts.com and I have no complaints.

If you have access to a Digital Multimeter then look up the horn troubleshooting on Richpin's channel on Youtube, it could be quite resourceful.

1994 SL2 - 24 Hours of Lemons Racecar
1998 SC1 - 305K miles - dead
2001 SC1 - 349K miles and counting - 1 quart per 1K miles - stock engine
Just another OEM engineer...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to moresaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help moresaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
moresaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
DrEvil

1998 SC2

Correction - it's a 1998 SC2.

Does that change the suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You need a 3 terminal horn either build the replacement or try a J/Y. Most J/Y horns are junk though so get a warranty on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!