SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2017, 09:43 PM   #1
ImNew2Vues
ImNew2Vues is on a distinguished road

Default DEAD 2008 Vue XR, HELP ME!?!?!?!?!?

We've been enjoying the heck out of our 08 Vue XR for about 2.5 years now. We LOVE the vehicle. Now I need some suggestions, at 153,000 miles we were driving today and it started to vibrate. Felt like we were driving over a line of broom handles. Got to the next intersection and as we slowed for the red it started making funny noises like it was ready to stall out. We drove farther and it seemed to clear up for awhile. At the next red light the vibration came back worse, the tach was bouncing all over the place, The traction control warning lights came on, I proceeded through the light into a 55mph zone and other than the lights on the dash and a little vibration it was running ok. About 4 miles up the road the check engine light and the motor warning lights came on and it died. It won't start, the starter sounds funky when you crank it over. We towed it home and its in the garage waiting for my to lift the hood and fix it. Now It has oil, it has coolant, last fill up I pumped E15 into it but it has about 1/2 tank left. The codes it threw are 0068 and 0101 which both are MAP sensor. I'm just praying its not the timing belt. Never had one go in my 47 years of driving so I don't know what that feels like. Any good ideas? Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ImNew2Vues's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ImNew2Vues reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ImNew2Vues is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2017, 11:21 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: DEAD 2008 Vue XR, HELP ME!?!?!?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNew2Vues View Post
praying its not the timing belt. Never had one go in my 47 years of driving so I don't know what that feels like.
What motor is in there? YOur symptoms don't sound good at all...
Never ignore the warning signs that you did.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #3
ImNew2Vues

Thanks for the reply, The 08 has the 3.6 GM motor.
I didn't ignore the warning lights, I was trying to limp it home because I didn't
know how I would get home with all our groceries.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ImNew2Vues reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #4
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, The 08 has the 3.6 GM motor.
I didn't ignore the warning lights, I was trying to limp it home because I didn't
know how I would get home with all our groceries.
Well, driving is driving.

You have a timing chain in that motor.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/s...iming+set,5756
research https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=partne...3.6&gsc.page=1

'17 Suby Forester

Last edited by billysvue; 06-06-2017 at 10:23 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-07-2017, 12:33 AM   #5
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

The timing chains on the 3.6 are definitely a weak point on these engines. The chains on these engines are thinner than some bicycle chains. They are great at being quiet, but they are notorious for stretching over time, especially with long oil change intervals. This eventually causes the chains to jump a tooth, throwing off the timing. This is probably what you were experiencing as the engine initially started running rough. As the engine kept running, if the chain jumped additional teeth, further knocking the timing out, you likely eventually got valve and piston contact since they High Feature V6's are interference engines.

Since you've only had your Vue for 2.5 years, I'm guessing you're at least the second owner of the Vue, so it may not have had ideal oil change intervals with its prior owner. As well, considering the mileage on the engine, even with regular oil changes, I wouldn't be surprised at stretched chains.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but the symptoms you're describing sound very typical of a jumped timing chain. If that's the case, you're likely in for pricey engine rebuild or replacement engine.

Best of luck! Keep us posted on how you make out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to col_dude190's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help col_dude190 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
col_dude190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:18 PM   #6
ImNew2Vues

Well you're correct. The engine is piled up internally. We couldn't get the spark plug out in the front passenger side cylinder. It came out with my impact to find it was grenaded on the end. So after all these years of driving I've been taught a valuable lesson. STOP when things go funky. I am not the original owner, I felt that the car had been kind of neglected on maintenance, and my too frequently oil changes didn't help. In retrospect I SHOULD have changed the chains, all 3 of them back when I bought it at 112,000 miles. It was the very 1st car we have ever bought with over 100k on the clock. So now I have to decide what to do. I spent hours today searching for a complete engine, That's going to cost me total about $2200 by the time i'm done. I may just put it under a tarp behind my garage and take my time buying the right engine. Heck I may search for another 08 XR that is smashed in the rear and pull the entire front assembly. Got my eye on an 07 with the 3.5 for sale waiting for a callback to see if he had new timing belts done. Wish I knew how to post a pic of that plug. It's sick.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-08-2017, 12:48 AM   #7
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Got my eye on an 07 with the 3.5 for sale waiting for a callback to see if he had new timing belts done. Wish I knew how to post a pic of that plug. It's sick.
Do you know if the electronics, engine control systems, etc., are compatible with the 3.5?

Or your existing trans?

Proceed with caution if you attempt to swap in a different motor and no associated wiring and "black boxes".

I'm not saying it can't be done...

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-10-2017, 04:39 PM   #8
homerec130
homerec130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

If your 08 XR does indeed have the 3.6L engine, it probably has the 6T70 transmission as well. If you are going to swap the engine, take a good look at the 3-5-R wave plate while you have everything taken apart. By the sounds of it, you are well passed the extended warranty for that tranny.

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray
06 Vue 3.5L, FWD, Storm Grey (Wife's Ride)

08 Vue 3.6L, FWD, Sunburst Orange - RIP 6T70

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to homerec130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
homerec130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:04 AM   #9
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line

Lots of great advice administered in this thread.

Yes, park it if you have room to find the right motor. Definitely get a 3.6L and not 3.5L motor as replacement. A 3.5L will have different electronics and therefore be a compatibility nightmare. The 3.6L is a wonderful motor...mine has been flawless...with vigilant oil changes. Yes the timing chains can be a weak link if oil gets sludgy.

As to the well documented trans issue, if you perform a search, you can even find pictures of pulling the cradle and trans courtesy of Satelite440 who is a master Trans tech. If putting a new motor in....if you have this capability, consider putting in a wave washer kit in the trans. If all apart on the ground...a much easier job than doing it with the motor and trans in the car in the cradle.

Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:04 PM   #10
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Quote:
In retrospect I SHOULD have changed the chains, all 3 of them back when I bought it at 112,000 miles.
You would get codes for cam timing well before the chain stretches enough to jump a tooth. Unless you can do the work yourself, it doesn't make much sense to replace an engine on a 10 year old vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #11
m1super90
m1super90 will become famous soon enough

2003 VUE 3.0L

Thank God for this post! I was about to go see a 2009 V6 with 115k miles for sale. I didn't realize 2007 was the last year of the bulletproof Honda 3.5L V6, and that the 3.6L has stretchy chains.

Right now, I've got a 2003 with the Opel-Vauxhal 3.0L with 175k miles. I can do the belt again, no sweat, and it's an OK motor but takes way more hours a year than my ex's 2000 Accord V6 did (near-zero hours). Was looking to slide into something that would be issue-free and also be a styling match for my 2008 Sky.

I'll limit my Vue search to the 2007's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m1super90's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m1super90 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m1super90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:43 PM   #12
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1super90 View Post
I'll limit my Vue search to the 2007's.
2004-07 are identical engine wise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote