SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2017, 07:51 PM   #1
rk80
rk80 is on a distinguished road

Default 2008 VUE 2.4 engine / transmission

My daughter just got a 2008 VUE with the 2.4 engine, from what I have learned this has the 4 speed automatic transmission. It's FWD. Anyway, it drives fines, transmission locks up the converter on the highway just fine. Question is this, do these have a higher than normal shift points? Seems to shift at fairly high RPM, very smooth, just seems higher than normal. So is that normal for this model?

Is this a reliable transmission? I think they are used in a lot of models.

Thanks in advance.

Ray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rk80's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rk80 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2017, 05:46 PM   #2
ArtVandelay
ArtVandelay is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2008 VUE 2.4 engine / transmission

The transmission is a 4T45e, which GM used in a bunch of 2004-2010 models. I have a 2009 VUE with this engine/ transmission so I try to follow posts about problems on this website - don't really see that many issues with the 4T45, most concern problems with the 6T70 used in the V6 models (especially the infamous wave plate).

Just to be on the safe side, I have my trans serviced every 30,000 miles - fluid flush and filter change. Zero problems with the transmission and engine, only real problem with the VUE in 8 years has been with the A/C (which required a new expansion valve).

Regarding shift RPM, the final drive ratio for the VUE is considerably lower (higher numerically) than most of the other GM cars with this transmission. Final drive ratio for the 4 cylinder VUE is 3.91, compared to 3.05 in the 2004 Chevy Malibu with the 3.5 V6 that I had as a company car. This may be what you're noticing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ArtVandelay's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ArtVandelay reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ArtVandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
Oscar Moreno
Oscar Moreno is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

I have the same model and was having some issues at around 84K miles. I a transmission service - flush, filter and replaced gaskets. Now it's running much better but for some reason now I have to let the car warm up and come down below 1000 RPM before I first drive, otherwise the trans slips some. Is this the transmission or a different problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Oscar Moreno's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Oscar Moreno reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Oscar Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:03 PM   #4
ArtVandelay

That doesn't sound normal. If the slipping started after the fluid change, the first thing I would check is for correct fluid level. The transmission fluid has to be at 104 F to get the correct level. There's no dipstick - there is a oil level control plug on the torque converter side of the transmission. Vehicle needs to be level, with engine running in Park. Add fluid until the fluid drains out the plug.

If level is ok, you'd want to scan for codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ArtVandelay reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2018, 05:09 PM   #5
Oscar Moreno

2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
That doesn't sound normal. If the slipping started after the fluid change, the first thing I would check is for correct fluid level. The transmission fluid has to be at 104 F to get the correct level. There's no dipstick - there is a oil level control plug on the torque converter side of the transmission. Vehicle needs to be level, with engine running in Park. Add fluid until the fluid drains out the plug.

If level is ok, you'd want to scan for codes.
ArtVandelay thanks for the response.

It was slipping before I did the fluid change. That's why I had the Trans fluid drained and the filter and gaskets replaced. Now it does not slip except for certain conditions - I noticed that if I drive the car from a cold start (usually first thing in the morning), I get slippage with a harsh shift out of first gear. I would have to stop the car, put it in park or turn it off, then put it in Drive again and then it would run fine.

So I then tried to avoid slippage by letting the car warm up for about a minute until the rpm is below 1000, then I don't have problems slipping. When I do this I don't have problems driving it.

What do you think the issue may be with slippage when it's cold?

I should mention that up until the time when it started slipping I had never done any service whatsoever on the transmission or the engine and the car is at 84K miles when I did the service on the transmission about two months ago.

Last edited by Oscar Moreno; 04-17-2018 at 05:21 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Oscar Moreno reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2018, 09:47 PM   #6
ArtVandelay

Based on improvement after the fluid change/flush, my first guess would be a sticking shift solenoid. There are two - one for 1-2, the other for 2-3. Logic would point to the 1-2 solenoid, but problems with either could cause these symptoms. Trouble codes would typically be P0751, 0752, 0756, 0757.

If you are lucky, replacement of the solenoid would cure the problem and you wouldn't need any more work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2018, 06:09 PM   #7
Oscar Moreno

2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Based on improvement after the fluid change/flush, my first guess would be a sticking shift solenoid. There are two - one for 1-2, the other for 2-3. Logic would point to the 1-2 solenoid, but problems with either could cause these symptoms. Trouble codes would typically be P0751, 0752, 0756, 0757.

If you are lucky, replacement of the solenoid would cure the problem and you wouldn't need any more work.
Good to know. Only thing is I'm not getting a check engine light. The dashboard is clear. I'm gonna scan for codes and see. Will report back soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2018, 07:10 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk80 View Post
My daughter just got a 2008 VUE with the 2.4 engine, ...FWD. Anyway, it drives fine.. Question is this, do these have a higher than normal shift points? Seems to shift at fairly high RPM, very smooth, just seems higher than normal. So is that normal for this model?
In normal driving, what's observed rpm when shifts are made? Without some baseline info, anyone can speculate what's considered low, high or normal rpm for shifts in autos. Another factor affecting rpm shift points is the right foot - is the driver flooring it for stoplight racing, running fast to meet soccer/football/baseball school schedules, running fast to stay with the crowd or just driving in 'regular' mode without a car who's on your rear bumper and not concerned about getting anywhere on time? Since automatics are continually 'tuned' to every driver's foot, rpm shifts change all the time. Flooring the pedal implies revving as quickly as possible, resulting in higher rpm before shifting. Driving at leisure with fuel economy in mind or granny mode implies slow acceleration resulting in lower rpm shifts since the car is used for every day driving. Engine/xmission computers are programmed for every driver so rpm shifts are different between extreme driving modes.

Once mode of driving is declared and rpm noted for each shift, others with the same engine can make comparisons before determining whether or not something is unusual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:15 PM   #9
Oscar Moreno

2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
In normal driving, what's observed rpm when shifts are made? Without some baseline info, anyone can speculate what's considered low, high or normal rpm for shifts in autos. Another factor affecting rpm shift points is the right foot - is the driver flooring it for stoplight racing, running fast to meet soccer/football/baseball school schedules, running fast to stay with the crowd or just driving in 'regular' mode without a car who's on your rear bumper and not concerned about getting anywhere on time? Since automatics are continually 'tuned' to every driver's foot, rpm shifts change all the time. Flooring the pedal implies revving as quickly as possible, resulting in higher rpm before shifting. Driving at leisure with fuel economy in mind or granny mode implies slow acceleration resulting in lower rpm shifts since the car is used for every day driving. Engine/xmission computers are programmed for every driver so rpm shifts are different between extreme driving modes.

Once mode of driving is declared and rpm noted for each shift, others with the same engine can make comparisons before determining whether or not something is unusual.
So I'm waiting for a scanner that I ordered from Amazon to scan for codes.

fdryer, I've also noticed that during normal driving, sometimes the rpm gauge is a bit erratic - it does short rapid increases/decreases in RPMs even though i'm keeping a steady speed and every once in a while I feel a small sudden decrease in speed and if I had touched the breaks. It doesn't happen all the time though.

By the way, this is the OBDII scanner I purchased. It's an inexpensive one but I was wondering if anyone would recommend a modestly priced one that could give me more info.

I'd be willing to spend more on a good one.

Last edited by Oscar Moreno; 04-19-2018 at 06:25 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2018, 06:24 PM   #10
Oscar Moreno

2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:

ArtVandelay, How involved or complicated it would be to replace the solenoid myself? Is it accessible?

I've replaced the Intake/Outgoing Camshaft solenoids myself. I also replaced the entire Automatic shifter assembly and shift cable myself following the hayes Vue repair manual. I don't have a garage though, I did everything in the parking lot. Would it need to be taken to a mechanic?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2018, 06:37 PM   #11
Oscar Moreno

2008 VUE 2.4L

Sorry, here's the scanner. Any recommendations on a better one?

Car WIFI OBD 2 OBD2 OBDII Scan Tool Foseal Scanner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2018, 09:21 PM   #12
ArtVandelay

It is doable but not easy. The solenoids are in the Control Valve Body on the side of the transmission. Google "Pontiac G6 shift solenoid replacement" for a short YouTube video of what it takes to get access. A lot has to be taken loose and you'd need an engine support.

I have several code readers but the one I like best is the Scangauge 2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2018, 09:30 PM   #13
ArtVandelay

Also, the erratic rpm is probably the lockup converter (GM calls it TCC - torque converter clutch) locking and unlocking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2018, 10:21 PM   #14
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Personally, I'm no more an expert on which reader or scantool is better than another while the old adage still applies, "you get what you pay for". Spend more, get more. As a scantool, most serve their purpose by giving data in real time or when logging for reading later. My reader is no different from yours and useful for gathering baseline data before problems occur. When something goes wrong, whether an error code occurs or not, baseline data becomes a reference to see where a problem may exist that didn't when things are fine. Its easy to ignore a good running engine and xmission and then decode an error or two but sometimes dealing with a problem just from decoding an error code doesn't paint a very good picture. Anticipating this, I made several logged data points, cold engine (not running), cold engine idling, logging data from several (random) speeds, warm engine idle. These baseline data points are described as snapshots because they're taken at one point in time. To record data over a period of time would require much more memory and more money spent. Snapshots taken at specific points are fine. Just doing this allowed comparing data with another member to determine a faulty maf sensor when zero error codes weren't seen but a problem existed.

As with any new device, there will be some time needed to become familiar with your reader. And to make things a little difficult, the majority of readers and scantools do not display xmission error codes or data from xmission sensors. Pay more for more data acquisition and you become your own EFI and xmission technician, provided you can interpret data.............

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:55 PM   #15
Oscar Moreno

2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Personally, I'm no more an expert on which reader or scantool is better than another while the old adage still applies, "you get what you pay for". Spend more, get more. As a scantool, most serve their purpose by giving data in real time or when logging for reading later. My reader is no different from yours and useful for gathering baseline data before problems occur. When something goes wrong, whether an error code occurs or not, baseline data becomes a reference to see where a problem may exist that didn't when things are fine. Its easy to ignore a good running engine and xmission and then decode an error or two but sometimes dealing with a problem just from decoding an error code doesn't paint a very good picture. Anticipating this, I made several logged data points, cold engine (not running), cold engine idling, logging data from several (random) speeds, warm engine idle. These baseline data points are described as snapshots because they're taken at one point in time. To record data over a period of time would require much more memory and more money spent. Snapshots taken at specific points are fine. Just doing this allowed comparing data with another member to determine a faulty maf sensor when zero error codes weren't seen but a problem existed.

As with any new device, there will be some time needed to become familiar with your reader. And to make things a little difficult, the majority of readers and scantools do not display xmission error codes or data from xmission sensors. Pay more for more data acquisition and you become your own EFI and xmission technician, provided you can interpret data.............
I wanted to update this ...

After wrestling for a while with the engine slipping problem, I made a repair for another post I made (see this link: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234247) for a problem with a broken cable on the negative battery terminal. Somebody posted there that the broken cable was a BCM ground terminal and that it would cause problems. After I made the repair to the broken BCM ground cable and reconnected it to the battery terminal, the car has been running smoothly with no slipping from cold start.

So it has been about a month and a half and the car has been running smoothly so I assume that the broken ground BCM cable was causing the cold start slipping and the erratic RPM gauge. I didn't think the the BCM ground would have anything to do with those problems. Can anybody confirm that that cable actually is a BCM ground and not a TCM ground?

Last edited by Oscar Moreno; 05-26-2018 at 09:00 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!