SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #1
TheFlounder
TheFlounder is on a distinguished road

Default LED light issues

Hi all,

I own a 2008 Astra XR and so far every single time I have tried to change a light bulb out for an LED it has failed. The first time was the headlights. While one headlight would work fine, the other would turn on for roughly 30 seconds and then shut off. A little over a year later now I have decided to try the same thing with my interior lights not thinking anything of it. However, when I changed the light in the hatch to an LED bulb it flickers for about 2 seconds before shutting off. Is there something about the wiring of these cars that prevents any sort of change from incandescent to LED or am I stupid? Or Both?

Any replies are appreciated.
Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheFlounder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheFlounder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TheFlounder is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2018, 06:16 PM   #2
AstraFasta
AstraFasta will become famous soon enoughAstraFasta will become famous soon enough

Default Re: LED light issues

Do a search for canbus and you will see that replacing bulbs with LEDs in the Astra sometimes requires a bit of magic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #3
TheFlounder

Ok cool so I just need to purchase canbus LEDs voila?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TheFlounder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2018, 07:54 PM   #4
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

All interior bulbs need to be Canbus friendly, the rear interior lights are very sensitive as in only one wire per side should make contact in the socket (you may need to tape off the other one on some bulbs)

Exterior lights will need a resistor to keep the computer happy. The bulbs turn off because the canbus system shuts power off when it notices a bulb is burnt (or not sending enough resistance through the circuit) which is where a resistor is required to fool the computer.

I'd suggest going with a Canbus HID kit for the headlights if you want more output since LED have a horrible beam pattern in Halogen headlights.

If you have anymore questions let me know. I've replaced everything on my car

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:02 PM   #5
TheFlounder

Thank you very much

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2018, 04:12 PM   #6
TheFlounder

Hi all,

So I've done some research and spoken to some other people in the aftermarket headlight industry. It appears as though what you really need is Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) integration for LED/HID headlights. CANBUS is essentially a whole computer system whereas PWM is what actually affects the lights. With PWM, the electrical signal to the light bulb is sent in pulses. With an incandescent bulb, this means that you save energy and the life of the bulb but the filament doesn't have enough time to cool down so the perceived illumination stays the same. This same thing does not work with LED/HID bulbs and so thus they are incompatible without a mediator of sorts.

I was told that these will solve my issue:

headlightrevolution.com/gtr-lighting-pwm-interface-module-9005-9006-style-connectors

If anyone knows differently or has some other insight I would be very happy to hear it. In the meantime, I think I'm going to give these a try and hope the integration works.

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2018, 05:55 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Many cars trucks and SUVs have electronics almost requiring a degree in electrical/electronics technology. Most dealers have to employ not just experienced mechanics but people with electrical and electronics familiarity since most EFI systems, xmissions, climate control, and lighting systems are under control of ECMs, PCMs, body control module or xmission control module (TCM). And let's not forget a separate vcim for OnStar. If you see a pattern, electronics is at the heart of most vehicle systems.

I wired a pair of led dome lights for more trunk lighting. Tapped off the single trunk light, I had to be careful of led polarity. Reverse wiring simply won't allow LEDs to turn on. Since my car uses the bcm, it powers the trunk light for twenty minutes then turns it off for energy savings. My guess is low current circuits can be driven directly from the bcm. Low and high beams draw several amps and require some sophistication of electronics. Whether using pwm or not, circuits are designed to monitor them for burned out bulbs, shorts or normal operation. Canbus and pwm are only two ways of circuit design.

Unless you become informed, led headlights are not great if using aftermarket setups. Factory led headlights are segmented, individual LEDs aimed a few degrees from each other as they have narrow beam patterns. Examine factory led headlights when you can to see why aftermarket led headlights aren't as advertised. I modded my low beams for hid lights only because my low beams are projector light housings that can work with hid lights. The original setup is halogen. Even the place I bought the hid lights couldn't help with set-up. In the end, my lighting didn't need resistors, capacitors or relays. Just plug n' play. My low beams are also DRLs and presented another problem no one was able to help me with. As I did my research, each application is different from the next. My issues were simple compared to others requiring extra wiring. Unless you find the exact same mood done by others with or without extra wiring, you become the beta tester for mods.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:41 PM   #8
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I got LED headlights from sirius LEDs and they work fine (thought they didnt fit well) but there are sometimes when a notification on the dash tells me to check my low beams. Usually jut flipping the switch for the lights fixes the issues.

'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-Thule Roof Rack (and wind fairing)
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FreedomSoftware's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FreedomSoftware reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:19 PM   #9
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

I've had HID with canbus module for 6 years now wired directly into the oem plug with no issue. I have no extra power cables going to the battery to power my ballasts.

Yes our cars have PWM controlled headlights but with the correct product it won't affect anything. My headlights do not dim during the day time and are always on full power with the HID which does shorten their life expectancy with that I'm still getting 2 years on bulbs and 5.5 years on my ballasts

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote