Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > Classifieds

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 12:45 PM   #1
dulce75
dulce75 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
1998 SL
Idea selling 98 SL

I'm selling my 1998 Saturn SL. Tilt, aftermarket CD, excellent condition. Immaculate exterior and interior. 2nd owner in same family. All service records available. Mileage is currently at around 92,000, but it's mostly highway miles. The previous owner, my aunt, used it to drive to work and back (from one city to the next) and therefore there was very little city driving. I had the car for 6 months before buying a 2002 SC2, so I haven't used it much, either.

The only problem I'm aware of is the rear oxygen sensor. Not a big deal; it doesn't affect the drivability of the car, but it does cause the "Service Engine Soon" light to go on and off.

The car doesn't have air conditioning or power steering. However, for those who are interested in doing a lot of additions of aftermarket parts...this is the perfect car for you. It is a 5 speed, quite speedy, and has excellent gas mileage...especially considering the lack of power steering. I easily get close to 50 miles to the gallon on the highway, and not much lower in the city. It was definitely better than my SC2 in that aspect.

I'm located in Madison, WI. I really need to sell this car, but no one ever wants a car without all the extras. I don't know what to do! It is really a great car and I would stil be driving it if it wasn't for the fact that I had an opportunity to buy my dream car.

Contact me. I want to sell it for $6000. However, I'm willing to negotiate.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1998sl.jpg (13.5 KB, 42 views)
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2002, 08:54 AM   #2
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Default Re: selling 98 SL

Quote:
Originally posted by dulce75
Contact me. I want to sell it for $6000. However, I'm willing to negotiate.
KBB shows it at $3880 on a private party sale. I'd be lucky to get much more than 6 grand for my loaded to the gills 1997 SL2 that has power roof, alloys, abs, t/c - everything but leather and only 45k miles.

It is good that you are willing to negotiate as you'll be lucky to get more than 3500 in today's used car market. 6 is high, a strippo SL could not have cost more than 10.5 4 years and 92k miles ago.

Not trying be harsh, just trying to prepare you for the reality of today's market prices.
Old 04-20-2002, 09:20 AM   #3
dulce75

2005 VUE 2.2L
1998 SL

I know, Piney. I may just have to keep paying on it until prices get better and I can afford to let it go at a cheaper price (hoping that the market doesn't get even worse). I can afford to keep it right now but it seems pointless...I'm one person and I don't need 2 cars. I didn't trade it in because they were offering like $2700 for it and I still owed $6500.

I'll probably be the one who will lose in the end. It just sucks. But I'm willing to hear any offers. I might just have to suck it in and let it go.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:35 PM   #4
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

Am I missing something?

You've had the car for 6 months. Your aunt owned before that and put most of the 90,000 miles on it.

Yet YOU owe over $6,000 on it !?

If you get along with your aunt, you might want to delicately point out to her that she robbed you blind and ought to give you some of your money back.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:47 PM   #5
dulce75

2005 VUE 2.2L
1998 SL

well I have no idea where the bank gets its blue book prices, but when I purchased the car last June I paid my aunt what she owed on the car. My bank told me the car was worth about $8000 (I thought that seemed high, but hey, they financed it so I wasn't going to point it out). It was actually more of a favor than anything. I knew the car was solid. I didn't need a new one - I had a 93 SL1 that I had bought in Dec 2000 after totaling my Tempo. But she needed to get rid of it, and my sister needed a new car (she owned a 90 Dodge Shadow) so we kind of did a pass-it-along thing.

I really thought I was going to drive the thing until it died but after 9-11 and the whole low financing thing, and I had finally graduated and was working full-time, I decided to buy the SC2.

The thing is my car was made at Spring Hill..with the options I had requested it wasn't available for dealer trade-in anywhere nearby. I had to wait 7 weeks from placing the order. I couldn't very well wait to sell the car and then purchase a new one - Madison public transportation sucks and I needed to have a car. ESPECIALLY during the holiday season.

Well, long story. But this is the reason I'm stuck with 2 cars. I have to pay it off before I can sell it, so that means if I sell it for less than I owe then I have to come up with the difference right away, and frankly that's not possible right now, especially for a young woman who just started her career and has little to no savings.

Anyway, I know no one wants it. I'll just have to store it somewhere and drive it once in awhile and maybe, say, 30 years from now it will be a collector's item (ya right!
Old 05-01-2002, 04:15 PM   #6
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

With family like that, who needs enemies? Cripes - bad enough that she was going to charge you a pretty penny for a car, but to stick you that far upside down was downright dirty. Does she foster a hidden distaste for her sibling, your parent? Is she bigger than you, can you take her??? Does she have a kid who needs a Saturn??

Old 05-01-2002, 04:58 PM   #7
dulce75

2005 VUE 2.2L
1998 SL

no, she didn't charge ME $8000 (I'm not that stupid) but she had the car a little more than half paid off. She charged me $5000. I then had to refinance it for another $1000 because I did something to the tranny while backing up down a hill (sorry, I can't remember what it was although I have the repair bill somewhere...)

anyway, that plus interest took me up to about 6500. It's probably down to about 5500 now, I'd think.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:14 AM   #8
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Hopefully, once the incentives die out and the ION shows up, things might get better for the S cars.

Had 3 SL's and found them to be excellent values for the money.

Mileage is kinda high though, and that might create a problem.

Hopefully, as you mentioned, you can get it paid down to the fair market value in a reasonable time. Then, it might be a lot easier to find a buyer.

Good luck.
Old 05-08-2002, 10:57 AM   #9
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

Idea Re: Re: selling 98 SL

Quote:
Originally posted by piney

KBB shows it at $3880 on a private party sale. I'd be lucky to get much more than 6 grand for my loaded to the gills 1997 SL2 that has power roof, alloys, abs, t/c - everything but leather and only 45k miles.

It is good that you are willing to negotiate as you'll be lucky to get more than 3500 in today's used car market. 6 is high, a strippo SL could not have cost more than 10.5 4 years and 92k miles ago.

Not trying be harsh, just trying to prepare you for the reality of today's market prices.
We could wash our hands of extra/unwanted cars by donating them to a nonprofit charity and get part of the value back, assuming we itemize deductions rather than take the standard deduction. This would reduce your taxable income by $3,880 and that might translate into about $1,000 after taxes. I know that $1,000 < $5,000 but in the meantime the car probably needs some sort of auto insurance, tags, maybe periodic emissions testing, maybe periodic safety testing, maintenance, etc. These things all cost money. The aunt should have donated the car and called it a day. You could always try selling the car on E-Bay...
Closed Thread