SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2017, 11:44 AM   #1
Drillerguy
Drillerguy is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
Default timing chain issues

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some info here. Last June I had the timing chain snap on my 2006 Ion with the 2.2 liter motor. I ended up having it towed to a local shop and having it repaired despite my ability to repair it myself. Yesterday, as I was driving, the motor seemed noisy. So, I pulled over and popped the hood to listen as it ran. It sounded as if the timing chain was slapping around in there. So I shut the car off and tried restarting it. No luck. It turned over like there was no compression. Now, it's only been 10 months since the replacement and I'm waiting to hear from the shop about how they will handle this. I've bee reading about an oil nozzle that should be replaced when the timing set is done. This is new to me. Can anyone give me some more info on this? Also, the shop charged me $953.71 for the job. The price of the timing set charged to me was $388.31. Even now I look at that price and think that's an ungodly high price even with mark up. I've looked all over the net and can't find a set to buy otc for over $150. What's the average price for a timing set replacement if anyone knows. I'm regretting not doing the job myself and I'm hoping the shop won't try to charge me more money in this. Any info and help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to be well informed before I hear from them when they open Monday morning. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Drillerguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Drillerguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Drillerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2017, 02:26 AM   #2
bern
Advanced Member
bern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nice

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: timing chain issues

The shop warranty is likely 12 months / 12000 miles. Don't do any repairs or diagnostic your self. Tow the car back to them to check it out. Authorize diagnostic time if needed. Let them start a new service order with current date and mileage and check for the failure and the cause of it. Then wait for them to present their finding. You may find that they will fix everything their accountable for. Mistakes can be made. That is likely why you had a shop that warrants it's work do the work.

As far as the price of the parts. You shouldn't compare apples to oranges, retail sales to discount sales or whole sale prices. Part of a shops business is to buy and sell parts for profit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:01 PM   #3
NotaNigRigged04
NotaNigRigged04 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
1998 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Most shops unfortunately mark up part prices as high as 15%.
I've even heard of some that are happily charging more, as much as %20 more!

In MY book that is just pure greed and stupidity, as doing that only gives a shop a really bad name and shops around my area that get a bad name tend to become very empty and don't ever last very long!

There's NOTHING worse than shops/mechanics who try to justify OVER-charging their already ripped-off customers!
And any other mechanics who also try to justify that BS are just as bad!

Where I worked we never charged ANY mark up on any parts, ever!
We already charged enough for our hourly or per job rates where we didn't need to inflate a bill any worse than it already was for a customer!
Because we weren't greedy and actually liked returning customers!

My guess, without seeing your motor, is that something was not done properly or not done at all, like changing the sprockets or lobes (where applicable), improperly aligned sprockets/cams, too much slack in the chain itself, when they did your timing chain the first time.

Saddest part is, is that even if they are guilty of malpractice/shoddy workmanship there aren't many reputable shops out there who would correct an issue/their mistake and do the repairs for free, even when they are at fault!

So expect to pay, pay, pay!

Which is why I became a mechanic many years ago and never let anyone touch my vehicles.

But Good Luck, hope it doesn't turn out to be anything too drastic!

If it ain't broke....you probably didn't beat on it hard enough! Doh!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NotaNigRigged04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NotaNigRigged04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NotaNigRigged04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:36 PM   #4
Drillerguy
Drillerguy is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

So, the latest update. The shop called and I was initially told the warranty covered parts but no labor. That would be another $510. Ouch. I proposed fixing the car myself and bringing them the broken parts and they would warranty them and give me new ones to reinstall. The receptionist had to check with her boss so she would call me back. When she called, she was informed by her boss the warranty covered parts and labor. Bonus! So, they towed the car to their shop on their dime and started repairs. Turns out, a couple of pistons hit some valves and bent them. Ugh. No worries though. That is also covered under the warranty. They had to pull the head and send it to a machine shop. I've always hated shelling out that kind of money for the initial repair when I can do it myself. In this case, it worked to my benefit. Thank you God this was all covered. Hopefully have my car back this coming Monday.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Drillerguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Drillerguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Drillerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:43 PM   #5
jacek_p
jacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the roughjacek_p is a jewel in the rough

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillerguy View Post
Hi all,
I've bee reading about an oil nozzle that should be replaced when the timing set is done. This is new to me. Can anyone give me some more info on this?
a revised oil nozzle was put in service some time around 2004, so you should be good. Chain tensioner was revised several times and everyone should install the newest revised tensioner to prevent your story. do a search for details on tensioner.

fixed/replaced so far: side mirror, window trims x4, trunk floor, radiator bushing, alternator, starter, LCA x2, sway bar bushings x2, end links x2, timing chain tensioner, O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jacek_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jacek_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jacek_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #6
uluz2a6
uluz2a6 is a jewel in the roughuluz2a6 is a jewel in the roughuluz2a6 is a jewel in the rough

In the last 3 years have repaired over 40 Ecotec timing chain sets that have failed. Without exception, when the set fails it wipes out multiple valves in the process. So its not just replacing the timing set, but also removing, machining, and replacement of the cylinder head.

I usually charge people $325 for parts (chain, oil nozzle, gears, guides, tensioner, oil, filter) and labor if engine is still running well. If failed and jumped timing, add $600 for head w machining, gasket and labor.

Granted I work out of my garage and have no overhead, so I am cheaper. I have not had to "warranty" a failed timing component ever. I admit I use a rather cheap source on eBay, but still seem of high enough quality.

My point is, I am wondering what failed on your car. Did they reuse most of the timing set and only replace the chain? Did they offer you the old parts? Did they tell you what actually failed the first time? What failed this time? Are the repairing the head in house? Just replacing bent valves as apposed to a full refurbish on the head?

$510 for labor on remove/replace cylinder head and replacing a timing set doesn't seem to out of line to me for a licensed shop, but if need to pay again in 10 months, obviously that is unacceptable.

Does your original receipt for work have a break down of what was done? Really like to see pictures of failed parts from this time. See if you can get them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to uluz2a6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help uluz2a6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
uluz2a6 is offline   Reply With Quote