|02-19-2017, 09:33 AM||#1|
Join Date: Feb 2017
2003 Ion QC and 2003 Ion Sedan - engine swap - feedback please?
Hey everyone i just joined. The name is andrew. I am 23 years old living on the east coast. So i just wanted to introduce myself and along with that; bring my issue up to you all.
- So years back I had a car that i totaled and and the outcome of that was buying my first saturn. ( 03 Saturn Ion QC level 2 or 3, manual trans) I had it on the roads for about 6 months, around 120k miles. Shortly have doing an oil change it died. What happened was i parked on a slope and when i got back in it to crank it, it made a noise as if the chain was smacking against the cover. The car was never fired up/driven after the chain noise. Long story short, i took it to my family's shop and when i started ripping it apart, i found almost all of the rocker arms were just snapped in half. I figured the pistons were junk too... So i took it out and the QC has been sitting there ever since.
- I belong to a salvage yard auction site and you can get some nice deals. I spent many weeks trying to find an 03 ion in the PA/NY/NJ area. Finally found one about 1 1/2 hours away. This happened to be a 03 Saturn ion sedan. AUTO. This site clearly showed it was a 49k mile car. I ended up getting it for 600$! undercarriage pretty rusty, my guess is sitting and being in NY in general didn't help. Then when i loaded the car up it had delayed shifted, and has the sound as if a wheel bearing is bad. Basically this is where i stand now.. my QC has no motor and without thinking as we were cleaning up our shop we scrapped the motor. So i recently got the clutch kit . My theory was if i did this, i would part the sedan out. I'm almost 100% sure i will just put the low mileage sedan engine in my QC but have to swap trans first.
1. Since i have the clutch kit (clutch disc, clutch cover, alignment tool, slave cylinder, and flywheel...Am i missing anything?
2. Considering that i never transferred the title, fixed the "Bearing" noise or trans problems.. Do yous think i should swap motors?
3. I have a goal for the QC, which is get it running, and paint it. It's silver now and i wanna change it to sunburst orange and lower it slightly. Makes it look good imo. What do yous think about that?
4. Last is interior, QC interior is in between bad and good shape. While sedan is nearly perfect with mint leather seats and what seems to be the better factory stereo system. ( sedan has the factory amp under speakers in the back, while QC doesn't). Anybody know for sure if Leather sedan seats will fit , and the back seats as well? And can i swap radios,speakers, and amp easily.
1. Swapping the motor and or/parting the sedan out is saving me money because i can do it myself. I dont think ill find another 49k mile motor for the car. I could just take the engine out, get a higher mileage motor and resell the sedan. but then i need to do title work , putanother motor in... etc
So help me out, feel free to post any input!! Thanks!!
|SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links|
|02-19-2017, 01:07 PM||#2|
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Orlando, FL
2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Re: 2003 Ion QC and 2003 Ion Sedan - engine swap - feedback please?
Welcome to the forums! Aside from rust, the sedan sounds like it'd make a much better car. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, it'd probably save you a lot of time to just swap the transmission from the QC to the sedan (making the sedan manual). The swap itself is rather simple and shouldn't take very long with some common sense. With this, you can keep the fancy leather seats and advanced audio system. Just my two cents if you have any questions about the transmission swap, let me know. I recently swapped the old CVT on my QC out for a manual transmission from a sedan.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|2003 Ion Sedan with l67 swap :)||sj_mr2||Ion General||41||08-19-2014 07:29 PM|
|2003 vue 3.0 engine swap||66flyfish||Vue Tech||0||04-10-2009 09:56 PM|
|2003 sedan engine either will not start or stalls immediately after starting||willytheg||L-Series General||1||12-26-2008 09:09 AM|
|2003 Ion 3 engine swap||ATARIPITBULL||Ion Tech||5||10-16-2008 09:53 AM|
|new L300 2003 feedback ?||miwimiwi||L-Series General||8||11-19-2002 04:19 PM|