SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #1
crzyalbo
crzyalbo has a spectacular aura aboutcrzyalbo has a spectacular aura aboutcrzyalbo has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default Astra Won't Start

Having problems getting my Astra to start (now has approx. 140K miles on it)

It is now taking many turns of the key to get my Astra to start and I am wondering if it is worth the effort to fix it at this stage or just moving on.

Starter and Battery are new which leads me to believe that it could be something to do with the immobiliser/key. Does anyone have an idea on how to diagnose this possible problem and what might be required to fix it.

I cringe at the thought of sending a car to the GM dealership that might me worth $500 tops.

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crzyalbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crzyalbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
crzyalbo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
AstraFasta
AstraFasta will become famous soon enoughAstraFasta will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Astra Won't Start

Will the engine always turn over when you turn the key, but just stall out?

Or do you get no starter noise at all until you turn the key many times?

Does the instrument cluster always light up when you turn the key to the run position (even when car is not running?)

Any codes?

What other recent maintenance have you done?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:07 PM   #3
crzyalbo
crzyalbo has a spectacular aura aboutcrzyalbo has a spectacular aura aboutcrzyalbo has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

a) -Will the engine always turn over when you turn the key, but just stall out? no it simply does not turn over at all

Or do you get no starter noise at all until you turn the key many times? this is the issue, I have to go trough multiple attempts to get it to turn over. After a number of times if I giggle the steering wheel, it appears to help.
o

Does the instrument cluster always light up when you turn the key to the run position (even when car is not running?) - Yes, the cluster appears to be operational

Any codes? No Codes!

What other recent maintenance have you done? - the starter was changed at a GM Dealership a few months back and the battery is also relatively new. That is when I made the decision that the next major expense would see this baby to its resting ground as here in Toronto these things have no real resale value once they hit +200K km (130-140K miles)

my "gutt" feel is that the key is not engaging properly or the immobilizer is involved somehow is based on my observation that for a while the key was hard to turn and made all sorts of funny noises. now the key turns smoothly but does not always work.

[/QUOTE]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help crzyalbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyalbo View Post
...Any codes? No Codes!...my "gutt" feel is that the key is not engaging properly or the immobilizer is involved somehow is based on my observation that for a while the key was hard to turn and made all sorts of funny noises. now the key turns smoothly but does not always work....
Saturn Ions were the first for Saturns to use low voltage signaling and electronics in ignition switch wiring where conventional wiring used 12v in the ignition switch to initiate starter operation. In other words, low voltage signals (5v?) is used along with ground to signal the body control or engine control module to send a 12v signal to power a relay that supplies battery power to the starter. Computerized control of starting. If your Astra uses this method of computerized starting and both battery and starter are new, my guess is the the ignition switch, wiring and/or ecm/bcm are intermittent. I'm likely to believe the ecm and bcm aren't at fault or even intermittent, yet. This leaves the ignition switch and wiring. Presuming wiring is intact, free of wear and tear, and corrosion at terminal connections, leaves the ignition switch. Ions use a much smaller electronic style ignition switch. If Astras have electronic starting, the ignition switch may use a similar electronic style ignition switch. Initial Ions suffered ign switch issues with excessive grease and recalled to correct the problem. By the time Astras were brought out, no one has reported Astra ignition switch issues, yet.

GMs factory anti theft system in Astras may use either Passlock or the better Passkey with rfid protection. Either anti theft system is trouble free under normal conditions but may interfere with starting. Ions use a starter interrupt by disabling starter operation if the anti theft system is activated - this became the prime issue with Passlock activating to prevent starting. If Astras use Passlock or Passkey, like Ions and all Saturns, the security light should be flashing during starting as indication of a theft attempt whether false or real.

Does your security light flash quickly during starting? What does your owner's manual state how security operates? Does it disable starting? Electronic starting, if Astras use it, can be challenging unless familiar with electrical wiring, using a multimeter and reading wiring diagrams. If I had access to Astra service manuals, I may be able to help determine where this problem lies and suggest ways to troubleshoot to determine where fault is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:30 PM   #5
crzyalbo

2008 Astra XR

lots of information to digest but I would like to start with taking a look at the ignition switch you suggest. or maybe the key cylinder (if the astra has one).

any ideas on how to proceed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #6
crzyalbo

2008 Astra XR

Some great ideas. I don't have any anti-theft lights or anything unusual, so my guess regarding the ignition switch/cylinder/key cylinder is where I would like to start tearing things apart at. Any ideas F on t his approach. I have time but no more $$$ to put towards this vehicle... love it but it might be time to love something else.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2018, 09:14 PM   #7
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Does it start with a jump? If yes, then it could be the alternator. Our Astras seem very sensitive to low battery voltage.

When my alternator was going out, the battery would still read over 12 voltes, but less than 12.7 volts, and would not even click the starter like you're describing. But jumping the battery, or charging it, would let it start again.

If you're on the original alternator, it's probably time.

'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maschinenbauer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maschinenbauer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:18 PM   #8
AstraFasta
AstraFasta will become famous soon enoughAstraFasta will become famous soon enough

Could be a bad ground as you live in a snowy environment. My buddy had similar issues with an old pickup truck last month. Jump start and new battery did not help. We removed and cleaned:

-the battery wires to the battery
-the battery wires to the fuse box
-a few ground wires to the frame
-cleaned all the wires at the starter
-found a loose connection near the battery on positive side - where the wire was clamped to the ring that bolts to the battery (this was the problem)

Alternatively, do you have a lot of weight on your keys? This can cause some premature tumbler wear and tear. On some cars it caused safety issues. Your ignition key should not have other keys and gizmos connected to it. Could be worn but I don't see that as a popular Astra problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:56 AM   #9
crzyalbo

2008 Astra XR

Thanks everyone for input and advise.. turns out that it was the simplest and easiest fix.. clutch position sensor. $7 part on rockauto and 5 minutes to change. I checked it first but it appeared fine. Figured it out when I was able to start the car without depressing the clutch

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2018, 10:19 AM   #10
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Glad for your success.

Can you tell us the part number(s) used and where you purchased them?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote