SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
Z Fury
Z Fury is on a distinguished road

Default Opinions on the Astra - From Owners

Hey guys. I'm new here, and was hoping to get some honest reviews of the 2008 Saturn Astra. My girlfriend is looking to trade in her '06 Ion 2 Quad Coupe on this new Astra, as it comes with all the options she is lacking. Her Ion is pretty base, having neither cruise control nor power windows. The Astra she is looking to buy has those items, plus the power sunroof, which really made her smile when the dealer showed her how to use it. Ultimately, I think she'll be happy with it, but I thought I'd do some research on this vehicle to make sure it was a good thing.

Now I am no mechanic, but I tend to do a lot of my own work on my vehicles, and have learned that the Astra, being originally the Opel Astra, is made in Belgium, and is a completely foreign car. That said, how much higher would maintenance costs be (as somewhat a foreign vehicle) as opposed to her Ion? Any reliability issues? Just for informational reasons, she is looking at the XE 5 door with the auto (she can't drive stick). The car had 17 miles on it when we test drove it this afternoon, and came with the alloy wheels, moonroof, A/C, and the stability control.

Thank you all for your opinions, and your time.

JC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Z Fury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Z Fury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Z Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2008, 10:33 PM   #2
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Opinions on the Astra - From Owners

The ASTRA is built on the proven DELTA platform as is the ION

The ASTRA powertrain has been in use worldwide and has a good record.

The ASTRA is a good looking car in the 3 or 5 door.

So go drive it. Take it on a long drive into the hills, down the country roads, around town and on the freeways. Use all of the controls. Use the radio and the DIC. Adjust the seat, open the roof and load the types of things you may need to in the rear hatch. Use the A/C controls and the door lock/unlock button. Then come back here and tell us why she did or did not buy an ASTRA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:37 PM   #3
Soulblighter
Soulblighter will become famous soon enough

About maintenance, it is anybody's guess at this time how costly it will be. The Astra is going to get an update for model year 2010...As long as GM dosent scrap the plan, there should be aftermarket parts available like any other car.
I absolutely love this car with my 5 speed . I would hate it with an automatic. But i guess that choice is personal. I have not had any problems so far, considering that i have only put 2K miles on it. I would suggest that she takes the car and goes on a long ride (like saturnsdn suggested).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Soulblighter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Soulblighter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Soulblighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #4
Z Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSdn View Post
The ASTRA is built on the proven DELTA platform as is the ION

The ASTRA powertrain has been in use worldwide and has a good record.

The ASTRA in the base form is loaded compared to the base ION2

So go drive it. Take it on a long drive into the hills, down the country roads, around town and on the freeways. Use all of the controls. Use the radio and the DIC. Adjust the seat, open the roof and load the types of things you may need to in the rear hatch. Use the A/C controls and the door lock/unlock button. Then come back here and tell us why she did or did not buy an ASTRA.
I love your enthusiasm! Actually, we did drive it earlier today, and it did handle beautifully. The sunroof is simply amazing. She just wanted me to do some homework on the car, cause studying vehicles is what I do in my spare time. I just wanted to make sure she wasn't buying a lemon with a cool view out the top. I doubt the Astra is a bad car - just have to do my homework. Thanks for your reply.

1999 Camaro Z28 - M6
1994 Blazer Full-Size

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Z Fury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
Z Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulblighter View Post
About maintenance, it is anybody's guess at this time how costly it will be. The Astra is going to get an update for model year 2010...As long as GM dosent scrap the plan, there should be aftermarket parts available like any other car.
I absolutely love this car with my 5 speed . I would hate it with an automatic. But i guess that choice is personal. I have not had any problems so far, considering that i have only put 2K miles on it. I would suggest that she takes the car and goes on a long ride (like saturnsdn suggested).
I agree with the manual transmission aspect, as I drive a 6-speed Z28. The girlfriend does not know how to drive one, and I love my car too much to teach her on it!

I've also been reading that the '09s are rolling in, and the '08s aren't moving that fast. Does anyone see any incentives rolling out for the '08s any time soon?

1999 Camaro Z28 - M6
1994 Blazer Full-Size

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #6
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

The 09 ASTRAs are not rolling in as of yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2008, 07:02 AM   #7
Emanuel
Emanuel is on a distinguished road

Re maintenance, check out the schedule in the owner's manual

If I am not mistaken, the Astra needs needs more maintenance than the Ion: 36K spark plug changes (vs 100K)and a timing belt that needs to be replaced (vs a timing chain).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Emanuel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Emanuel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
cschmidt1956
cschmidt1956 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel View Post

If I am not mistaken, the Astra needs needs more maintenance than the Ion: 36K spark plug changes (vs 100K)and a timing belt that needs to be replaced (vs a timing chain).

Mute point on the Spark Plugs. They are right there on top of the engine and EASY to get too. I fully intend to have my 5 year old Grand Son helping with this chore when the time comes.

Z Fury, the thing that you need to understand that this is s European car MADE for EUROPEANS and in that case, it is one of the BEST selling cars in all of Europe. Saturn did the minimums to bring the car here. The feel and handling of the car came with it and didn't get lost in the translation. This is a car meant to be DRIVEN, to have FUN in and also to return good to Great fuel economy.

AS an OWNER of a XR 3 Door, I am loving mine! My only complaint

MY ONLY COMPLAINT....The Horn Sounds pretty wimpy! LOL!

Chris

A HAPPY and PROUD OWNER

2010 Chevrolet Camaro LT2/RS V6
2008 Saturn Astra XR 3 Door - Sapphire Black (Gone but NOT forgotten!)
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Brilliant Black Metallic
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS, Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cschmidt1956's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cschmidt1956 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cschmidt1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
SaturnSdn
Master Member

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

I don't own one but it seems I drive one nearly every day but that does not give me the right to say (on this forum) what I do not like about it. It does not give me or anyone for that matter the right to compare what they are driving now to the ASTRA or to compare any car they have had in the past to the ASTRA. I remember when the ION came out in 2003, if anyone said anything about the hard as rock seats, the transmissions, the road and wind noise or the soft suspension. Or the LACK of power. They were blasted for RAGGING on the ION. In 2005 most of these things were fixed on the ION. 2006 saw evan more good things. I'll not evan bring up what the Enhancded Performance Package brought to the party that turned the ION to one nice driver. Funny thing is, the 2003 ION sold very well. I'll guess that has something to do with price points.

Again I think the ASTRA "as is" will prove to a very good small car in North America with a very small market

Last edited by SaturnSdn; 08-03-2008 at 12:09 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2008, 12:27 PM   #10
rickystarshine
rickystarshine has a spectacular aura aboutrickystarshine has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-2 Sedan

I've also been reading that the '09s are rolling in, and the '08s aren't moving that fast. Does anyone see any incentives rolling out for the '08s any time soon?[/QUOTE]

I've seen the '08 Astras with GMS pricing for everyone @ Saturn of Ann Arbor this past week.
I personaly like the 5 door 5 speed, it has more interior room than my 2001 SL1. Too bad I'm not in the market for a new car!

Rick

2005 ION 2 5 spd 202,155 miles
2001 SL1 Auto 298,252 miles
1997 Sl1 Auto 163,266 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rickystarshine's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rickystarshine reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rickystarshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #11
SaturnSdn
Master Member

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

"Does anyone see any incentives rolling out for the '08s any time soon?"

I'd have to say GMS for everyone is an incentive. That needs to start up nation wide very soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #12
robert4380
robert4380 is on a distinguished road

Just out of curiosity, what is the typical GMS discount on an Astra? Is it a flat dollar amount, or a percentage?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robert4380's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robert4380 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robert4380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #13
cschmidt1956

Robert,

The GM Supplier discount that I received when I bought my Astra was only $732. It was not much but being that most Saturn deals are at sticker, I was happy getting the discount.

I was also able to get a local coupon plus a Dealer match for a total discount of another $1000.

With both of these discounts, I feel that the deal I got was super!

Sometimes you have to search for these and dig for them because they are not advertised.

Right place right time for me.

Chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cschmidt1956 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #14
nababbo
nababbo is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

just out of curiosity...what kind of a beating is she taking for selling her car so soon?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nababbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nababbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nababbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #15
Z Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by nababbo View Post
just out of curiosity...what kind of a beating is she taking for selling her car so soon?
Actually, I'll answer this with 100% honesty, and use real numbers. Her '06 Ion 2 Quad Coupe with 30K miles on it, and very few options above the base package, cost her just over 15K when she bought it new almost 3 years ago (she gets the GMS pricing - her dad recently retired from GM). Anyway, they came back with a 10K trade value on it, and she owes just about 7,500 in payments (she'll have to call for pay-off, but I'm guessing about 6800 or so). Basically, she has just over 3K in equity to apply against the new Astra.

Also, regarding GMS pricing, the dealer told her that the GMS discount on that Astra would drop the price roughly 8.5%. This is NOT a fixed percentage, as it varies by car, and how much the dealer has inflated the sticker price on the lot. That said, this car was on the lot for 19,900, and she is looking at a GMS adjusted price of 18,200 (rough estimates - the numbers aren't in front of me). After trade in, she should walk out of there with a well equipped Astra XE-5 for right around 15K, or slightly higher.

Just an update, I've told my girlfriend that the car looks to be a solid buy, and that it would be a nice little upgrade from her base package Ion. That said, she should be the proud owner of a 2008 Astra by the end of the week! I know she is pretty excited.

1999 Camaro Z28 - M6
1994 Blazer Full-Size

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #16
L200Pilot
L200Pilot is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

My big complaint... the sun visors are microscopic. Completely useless, especially when rotated to the side window.

Other than that, I love the car, even 6 months and 26,000 miles later.

The family:
1993 SL2: 051,000 mi (!)
1996 SL2: 260,000 mi (sold)
2001 SL2: 98,000 mi
2002 L200: 215,000 mi
2006 VUE: 50,000 mi (sold)
2007 Ranger: 40,000 mi
2008 Astra: 161,000 mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L200Pilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L200Pilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L200Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:52 AM   #17
cschmidt1956

Quote:
Originally Posted by L200Pilot View Post
My big complaint... the sun visors are microscopic. Completely useless, especially when rotated to the side window.

Other than that, I love the car, even 6 months and 26,000 miles later.
For me, I don't find that the Visors are a problem. I have a large torso and that puts me pretty high in the car to begin with. Now my wife on the other hand does have a problem with the smaller visors. Not a huge issue to us as we both wear Polarized Sunglasses when the need arises.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-04-2008, 07:48 AM   #18
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel View Post

If you follow the oil life monitor, you will find that the oil changes are less frequent. Our's resets @ 11k. (which I believe is a little too much.)

However, as with most Ecotec's, the oil changes are easy to do. The oil filter is a cartridge type which is easy to remove & change. Both my oil changes were done by myself in less than 20 min. each.
The downside is the filter cost: $11.32. But if you figure by changing it less, the cost evens out.
Like cschmidt1956 has said, the spark plug changes look fairly easy,too.

My wife has put over 7500 on her Astra and she loves it. The Astra handles very well, gets great gas mileage (32-36mpg), and is comfortable on a long trip.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #19
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

I really like the Astra a lot, the interior, and controls are so cool

I only have two problems with it:

-The Astra with an Auto tranny is SLOW
-Lack of sedan/convertible/coupe versions

I'm thinking that my problems with it will most likely be resolved in the next few years.

Very nice car however, nicer interior quality (IMO) than anything else from GM right now.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #20
PortCityShawn
PortCityShawn is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L

[QUOTE=HotIonDrvr89;1294124]I only have two problems with it:

-The Astra with an Auto tranny is SLOW
-Lack of sedan/convertible/coupe versions
[QUOTE]

OK... so I've been hearing over & over from the people who have just test driven the Astra or already own the stick that the Auto is slow. I don't own one (yet ), but I drive one just about every day.

My 1st impression was like may posters'... that I'd prefer the 5-Speed. However after EXTENSIVELY driving both, (something most of you don't have the opprtunity to) I've concluded that mine will be the Auto. I'm not thrilled with the additional $1325. That said, I find the Auto to better fit my overall driving style. Yes, it is a little slower off the line. The gearing is a little tall when the RPMs aren't up there yet.

However, short of the standing start, I find that the Astra with the Auto is a more enjoyable drive on the highway. Merging is easy... you just give the throttle a quick "blip" & the gearing drops, then away you go! This isn't a six cylinder, so you need the revs to get things moving.

Once I got used to a slightly different driving style, I fell in love with the Auto. Also, I find that the taller gearing makes it more enjoyable (for me) on the highway. I don't drive with the radio blasting, so I really tend to notice the higher revs on the 5-speed when you get abobe 65 MPH.

So... when I add the Astra to my stable. it will be a 3-Door with premium trim (I just love the leather wrapped steering wheel compared to the base trim's) and an Auto. There... I said it! Now bring on the counterpoints, 'cause that's what this forum is all about!

Shawn

Shawn Beaudoin
eBusiness Manager
Saturn of Portsmouth
Portsmouth, NH

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortCityShawn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortCityShawn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortCityShawn is offline   Reply With Quote