SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2007, 11:59 AM   #1
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
Default Screened Opening ?

Anyone have a idea what the purpose of this screened opening is.It was suggested it was a cabin inlet, but i don't believe that is the case.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...nedopening.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
redkees@msn.com
redkees@msn.com is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Screened Opening ?

That screened opening is the vent to your HVAC vents in the interior of the cabin.

Keep the screen on and clear of leaves or other junk so the vent passage is kept clear and you continue to get good airflow.

Previously Owned 98 SL2, Sold
98 SL, Sold
When your Saturn is well kept YOU are well kept.

Second Car: Buick LaCrosse 2006

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redkees@msn.com's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redkees@msn.com reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redkees@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

The reason i don't believe it is a vent for the cabin is.There is no way the air can get in from this opening.Take a close look at the marks the seal left on the hood.It makes a complete seal.No way for any air to get in.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...ontactarea.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2007, 01:09 PM   #4
redkees@msn.com
redkees@msn.com is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
2008 AURA XE

I read about this from a post where member hsvSc2 asked an interior fan question.
Wolfman posted a reply about this Oval shaped opening 3x 1.5 inches being the outside air intake port for the HVAC system. He described it exactly as You showed in your picture-- small screen covered by a foam perimeter.
This was posted 5/1/07.

I had a problem with one side of my interior center vent not blowing air like it was clogged.
After I found the above mentioned post I when out to my 98 SL and cleared leaves and dirt off the screen and I've got better air flow now.
I now it's hard to believe but Wolfman's right, it's a outside air intake port for the hvac system.

Previously Owned 98 SL2, Sold
98 SL, Sold
When your Saturn is well kept YOU are well kept.

Second Car: Buick LaCrosse 2006

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redkees@msn.com's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redkees@msn.com reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redkees@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It really does seem to seal onto the hood. It was a while ago that I looked at it, though, I'll mess with it some today.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

ahhh thanks redkees...an answer to a question I had been pondering for a while now.

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phredawgy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
richpin06

1998 SL2

Take a look when the hood is closed.The hood is right against the seal.Why is there a seal there if not to seal something off.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...n06a/seal4.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-06-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpin06 View Post
Take a look when the hood is closed.The hood is right against the seal.Why is there a seal there if not to seal something off.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...n06a/seal4.jpg
it looks like there are several small gaps there...perhaps that is where the fresh air comes in but most big hunks are kept out by seal and screen?

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2007, 04:15 PM   #9
richpin06

1998 SL2

Could the actual inlet be trough the side of the foam itself.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a.../inletfoam.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-06-2007, 06:31 PM   #10
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

I doubt its supposed to seal against the hood at all. Older S-Series cars had a rubber seal there. No mesh or anything. Just a thin rubber sheet that was sticky on the back.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:12 PM   #11
richpin06

1998 SL2

I have come to the conclusion that the foam around the screen opening is in fact the cabin filter.When you think about it,it makes perfect sense.The top of the foam seals against the hood. Leaving the only place for the air to go is through the foam.Not unlike a foam air filter you would see on a dirt bike.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-06-2007, 09:55 PM   #12
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

From what I can gather reading through the Saturn parts books and Factory Service Manuals. Its just a screen to keep debris from getting inside. In fact the name for that part is a screen. Its part number 21030781

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:59 PM   #13
Tbonedawg08
Advanced Member
Tbonedawg08 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
From what I can gather reading through the Saturn parts books and Factory Service Manuals. Its just a screen to keep debris from getting inside. In fact the name for that part is a screen. Its part number 21030781
..yeah what he said

I'm just a normal car-crazy 17 year old...who is an intern at the police station. Trust me. That's saved me more than a few times
2002 SC2- 1.9L I4
2000 LS2- 3.0L V6
1993 1500 Silverado- 5.0L V8

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tbonedawg08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tbonedawg08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tbonedawg08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:51 AM   #14
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Is the screen supposed to be on top of the foam, or under the foam?

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:58 AM   #15
Jim Dunlop
Jim Dunlop is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1998 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpin06 View Post
Not unlike a foam air filter you would see on a dirt bike.
Or a lawnmower! Hey, did somebody say my Single Cam sounds like a lawnmower? Them's fightin words!

If the air goes thru the foam, it kind of make you wonder why the foam doesn't just have a flat cap over the top instead of sealing against the hood. Also, are you sure there isn't a paper cabin air filter that needs to be changed?

Anyone ever have washer fluid drip into the oval and spray into the cabin?

2002 SL 1.9L SOHC 5-spd mods:
-Custom HAI
-K&N Airbox Filter
-Custom Air Dam
-PCV Catch Can
-Drilled & slotted rotors
-14x6 König Incident's, Yoko AVID's
-Grille Block (aluminum)
SCS! DD.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim Dunlop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim Dunlop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:53 AM   #16
poorboy
poorboy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksc2 View Post
Ideally, the screen would work better below the foam, with the setup the way it is (small prefilter=foam edge) it would not really matter. However, I would suggest placing it under the foam if replacing it.

94 SL2 Automatic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to poorboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help poorboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
poorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:11 AM   #17
erick295
erick295 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dunlop View Post
If the air goes thru the foam, it kind of make you wonder why the foam doesn't just have a flat cap over the top instead of sealing against the hood.
If it was flat, debris (especially leaves) would fall or be sucked on top of it, blocking the airflow. The way it's designed, nothing can block it unless it wraps completely around the filter (the screen only stops things from falling in while the hood is open... it doesn't do anything for the filtration).

Engineering

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to erick295's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help erick295 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
erick295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #18
Phredawgy

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksc2 View Post
Mine is under the top piece of foam and on top of the bottom section....mine started to come apart so I need to stick it back together with something.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-07-2007, 05:33 PM   #19
erick295
erick295 is on a distinguished road

Silicone works well for that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to erick295's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help erick295 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
erick295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:16 PM   #20
Jim Dunlop
Jim Dunlop is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1998 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
If it was flat, debris (especially leaves) would fall or be sucked on top of it, blocking the airflow. The way it's designed, nothing can block it unless it wraps completely around the filter (the screen only stops things from falling in while the hood is open... it doesn't do anything for the filtration).

Engineering
Apparently I didn't communicate clearly enough. I meant a flat top in addition to the oval shaped foam. The way it's designed, something can fall in and block it if the hood is open or if the foam fatigues and loses its contact with the underside of the hood. No big deal.

Chemical Engineering

2002 SL 1.9L SOHC 5-spd mods:
-Custom HAI
-K&N Airbox Filter
-Custom Air Dam
-PCV Catch Can
-Drilled & slotted rotors
-14x6 König Incident's, Yoko AVID's
-Grille Block (aluminum)
SCS! DD.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim Dunlop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim Dunlop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote