SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2007, 09:03 AM   #1
stevedj_98
stevedj_98 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
Default Me and my DIC

An earlier forum topic "Ice Possible" mentions the DIC on the new Aura.

I can't be the only person here who chuckled at the reference to DIC (Driver Information Center) in the owner's manual. How did this ever get through focus groups and advertising agencies without someome suggesting a name change to Driver Information System (DIS) or Driver Information Display (DID)?

Is Aura the only GM vehicle with a DIC? Just try driving down the road with a straight face and saying something like, "Oh look honey, my DIC tells me it's time to get gas."

Maybe it's just my dirty mind, but I've always wondered why Toyota wrote TRD (Toyota Racing Development) on their nice pickups. Or why Dodge sold a Dakota SLT.

Then there is the name "Aura." Seriously, when I set up the car insurance the operator asked me how I liked my new "Aurora"-- OOOPS, sorry to failed Oldsmobile. At least Saturn finally got away from the SL or LS or L models, and started giving their vehicles names. You had to be a real fan to know which vehicle was which.

By the way I love my Aura XE. It's my 4th Saturn and definitely the best!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stevedj_98's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stevedj_98 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stevedj_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Me and my DIC

No, any GM vehicle with an info center has the "DIC," for several years.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
comcardi
comcardi is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedj_98 View Post
You had to be a real fan to know which vehicle was which.
Naw, SL1's (4-door model) had SOHC engines, 1 pieces seats (no detached headrest) and '96+ models had unpainted door handles as did the SC1 (Coupes),

SL2's had DOHC engines, a little bit more in the bargin basement model, detached and adjustable headrests and body color door handles. 97+ SC2's actually got body colored mirrors as well.

I suppose I'm considered a die hard fan now.

Saturn, the GM offspring that has finally been included in the will!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to comcardi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help comcardi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
comcardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:33 PM   #4
bgates2b
bgates2b is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedj_98 View Post
.....Then there is the name "Aura." Seriously, when I set up the car insurance the operator asked me how I liked my new "Aurora"-- OOOPS, sorry to failed Oldsmobile. At least Saturn finally got away from the SL or LS or L models, and started giving their vehicles names. You had to be a real fan to know which vehicle was which....
Well, at least your insurance agent picked another GM vehicle. That's better than a GM employee did (see my signature)

"Congratulations on your brand new 2007 Acura" - Tenisha, the On*Star rep that handled my call during the Aura's delivery

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bgates2b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bgates2b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bgates2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:16 PM   #5
fireman5031
fireman5031 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

"Congratulations on your brand new 2007 Acura" - Tenisha, the On*Star rep that handled my call during the Aura's delivery"

I swear to god I had an OnStar rep say the same thing to me. I laughed and thought to myself "Yeah, it looks like one, drives better than one and costs a hell of a lot less than one. I sure am enjoying it!" In their defense though, some Acura models do come with OnStar.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fireman5031's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fireman5031 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fireman5031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:48 PM   #6
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman5031 View Post
"Congratulations on your brand new 2007 Acura" - Tenisha, the On*Star rep that handled my call during the Aura's delivery"

I swear to god I had an OnStar rep say the same thing to me. I laughed and thought to myself "Yeah, it looks like one, drives better than one and costs a hell of a lot less than one. I sure am enjoying it!" In their defense though, some Acura models do come with OnStar.
Two weeks ago I heard a Los Angeles news broadcaster say that the Saturn Aurora won North America Car of the Year...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:40 AM   #7
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

I've heard it called the Aurora many times, had someone ask me when we started selling Acuras, and had even more people not even try and just flat out ask me "how do you say that?"

I think the best one was someone who asked when the "Lookout" was coming out. I had to try really hard not to bust out laughing. LOOKOUT!!! It's coming!!!

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:53 AM   #8
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

BobbyP;

At least someone knows about the award.......around here it looks like GM doesn't know about it yet,judging by almost total lack of any effort to capitalize on the award in TV or print advertising.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:06 PM   #9
Steve91364
Steve91364 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
BobbyP;

At least someone knows about the award.......around here it looks like GM doesn't know about it yet,judging by almost total lack of any effort to capitalize on the award in TV or print advertising.
Actually, I have recently begun to see alot of TV ads for Saturn...finally! In fact, their newest ad specifically debuts the Aura and it DOES mention its award. Again, this may just be regional, but it airs a lot here in Las Vegas now on many of the major network stations. I think that if Saturn launched a more expansive TV ad campaign, sales would really begin to soar for their other new vehicles as well.
The new Outlook is also getting alot of hype lately, and should turn out to be a huge seller in the SUV market. At almost $40,000 for a fully loaded Outlook XR, this is not the old Saturn of the 90's. They have really come full circle in their new lineup! Persoanlly, one addition I would really like to see would be an Aura coupe. Saturn could use a larger, higher-end coupe than their existing and dated Ion.

07 Aura XR - White/Morocco

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Steve91364's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Steve91364 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Steve91364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:11 PM   #10
stevedj_98
stevedj_98 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I saw my first billboard (actually two of them) today in Chattanooga picturing an Aura and base price plus the words "North American Car of the Year." That's the first of any advertising I've seen mentioning the car of the year award.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stevedj_98's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stevedj_98 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stevedj_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:58 PM   #11
Partymmudasti
Advanced Member
Partymmudasti is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

FWIW, my 02 Envoy SLT has the "DIC" and as a Moderator of an Envoy site, I've had to edit many posts that started going in the wrong direction regarding the discussion of members "DIC's" lol

Question:
My Envoy tells me avg. econ, live mpg, oil life remaining, and range. It also has a ton of whacky messages "Washer fluid low", "Service OnStar", "Ice Possible", "Service Auto Trans", "Liftgate ajar", " _____ door ajar", "check oil level", "fuel level low", etc etc. I dont know if you knew this but in the T360 DIC, you can change just about anything. I.e. headlamp timer, memory mirrors, etc..
What info and abilities does the Aura's DIC offer?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Partymmudasti's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Partymmudasti reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Partymmudasti is offline   Reply With Quote