SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2001, 03:13 PM   #1
PSU_92
PSU_92 is on a distinguished road

Default 97 SW1 Rear Wiper Washer

I have a 97 SW1. The rear washer has stopped responding to the switch on the stalk. (ie: Activate the switch and there's no motor noise). There's plenty of fluid in the resovoir.

I have scoured my manual, and don't see which fuse (either underhood or by passenger side) is for the rear washer or wiper assemblies on a SW.

I also see no way of removing the body panel to test the wiring at the washer pump, or to see if the washer pump is dead. Saturn of Devon (PA) wouldn't give me any drawings, says the techs are trained on panel removal in TN and don't have time to talk to me, and it's basically an investigative process without definitive times (and therefore non-definitive costs).

I'd like to exhaust my options before bringing the car into the dealer. Does anyone have links show me how to remove panels in the back of the SW? How about wiring for the rear of the SW? (I checked a Chilton's, which has block diagrams, but doesn't identify any particular fuses...)

Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PSU_92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PSU_92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2001, 10:12 PM   #2
sattech
sattech is on a distinguished road

If the rear wiper works the fuse is good. The fuse is the sun fuse in the IP fuse panel. I'v enever replaced a rear washer motor yet. The easiest way to check it would be at the switch. remove the cover behind the steering wheel. Locate a gray six pin connector. going to the multifunction switch. Term B is a Dk green wire. It supplies power from the switch to the washer motor. Term C is a white wire. It supplies power from the switch to the rear wiper motor. Term D is an orange wire. It supplies power from the fuse to the wiper switch. The wiper and washer ground are the same, the left rear body ground.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sattech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sattech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2001, 10:50 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Chances are that the green wire at the combination switch (multi function) has broken off from its solder joint. Look in behind/through the hole by the stalk and you should be able to see the wire. You should be able to see if it has broken off or be able to GENTLY probe to see if it is loose. Two cures, replace switch assembly or try to resolder the wire. It may be something else but I have seen enough of the wires loose to check there first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-22-2001, 10:17 AM   #4
PSU_92
PSU_92 is on a distinguished road

Thank you Sattech and Ssicarman for your replies. I'll try to dig into it this weekend.

Mike (PSU_92)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PSU_92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PSU_92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread