SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2006, 07:46 PM   #1
cottage
cottage is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Down New Aura Radio Problem

Just got new Aura and love it BUT, the radio fades in and out just like it has no antennna. It a is just awful. Also, alot of static. PLEASE help. Service Dept. at Saturn says there is nothing wrong with it. I am very upset about this. Only had it one week.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cottage's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cottage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2006, 08:00 PM   #2
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: New Aura Radio Problem

Ask to test drive another car. It could be that the radio is just poor or it's broken and they don't want to be bothered.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:21 PM   #3
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

Contact your salesman and tell him the car is coming back under the 30 day exchange guarantee.When he asks why,tell him to talk to the Service Mgr. If that doesn't work,just excerise your right to exchange the car with no reason required.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:11 PM   #4
cottage

Thank you!!! Such a quick reply. My husband says it is an antenna problem. The service department has my car as we "Speak". They are removing the head liner to see if they can find a problem. I really hope so or I will exercise my 30 day right. !!!!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cottage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2006, 12:12 PM   #5
liquidslap
liquidslap is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Does the Aura have that back window defroster integrated antenna? If so, that sucks because my Monte has that and depending on where I travel, I have the same issue. Those antennas suck bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to liquidslap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help liquidslap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
liquidslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:18 PM   #6
Cowtown_Raider
Cowtown_Raider is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Think I'm having the same problem. I don't listen to the radio much, but I did this morning to see how traffic was and it wasn't great reception. Kinda fades in and out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cowtown_Raider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cowtown_Raider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cowtown_Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:22 PM   #7
Chevy_Rules
Chevy_Rules is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidslap
Does the Aura have that back window defroster integrated antenna? If so, that sucks because my Monte has that and depending on where I travel, I have the same issue. Those antennas suck bad.
Yeah it does. Unless you have XM radio selected which then goes through the sharkfin I believe. But, regular AM/FM is the integrated antenna.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chevy_Rules's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chevy_Rules reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chevy_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:40 PM   #8
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown_Raider
Think I'm having the same problem. I don't listen to the radio much, but I did this morning to see how traffic was and it wasn't great reception. Kinda fades in and out.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this. I noted it when I returned the JD Power Survey!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:50 PM   #9
cottage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottage
Just got new Aura and love it BUT, the radio fades in and out just like it has no antennna. It a is just awful. Also, alot of static. PLEASE help. Service Dept. at Saturn says there is nothing wrong with it. I am very upset about this. Only had it one week.
Just spoke to the service department regarding this problem and it appears to be the module. At least that is what they believe at this point. Since I brought it in 2 days ago they have had 3 complaints. It will take about 5 days to get the new parts in. And, yes my antenna is in the back window. They may have to replace it as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2006, 02:20 PM   #10
setchell
setchell is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Also, this could be caused by any tinting in the back window even if they say it is non-metallic and that they bypassed the antenna. I had my non-metallic removed because of poor AM reception and a visability problem and both were improved noticeably.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to setchell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help setchell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
setchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:08 PM   #11
Seasoned
Seasoned is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I guess I must be lucky, because I have had absolutely no problems with my radio at all and I also have 30% tint.
In fact the reception on all my local stations are better than the XM stations. Other than the drifitng factor, I find nothing on XM radio that I would be willing to pay the $15/month premium for. I think it is just overhyped, like on-star and navigation. I will just load up with CD's for a journey.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Seasoned's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Seasoned reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Seasoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:12 PM   #12
cottage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasoned
I guess I must be lucky, because I have had absolutely no problems with my radio at all and I also have 30% tint.
In fact the reception on all my local stations are better than the XM stations. Other than the drifitng factor, I find nothing on XM radio that I would be willing to pay the $15/month premium for. I think it is just overhyped, like on-star and navigation. I will just load up with CD's for a journey.
What do you mean by "Drifting Factor". Do your stations fade in and out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #13
setchell
setchell is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
With my 30 or 35% tint on the rear window I could not receive a distant AM sports station from Orlando (about 70 miles from Ocala, FL.). With it removed, I could.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to setchell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help setchell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
setchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 04:19 PM   #14
Seasoned

2007 AURA XR
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

"Drifting factor".

The reason why XM ( or any other satellite service) is popular.

Because of their ground based (think radar) distribution, regular FM/AM service can only be transmitted for a certain distance, as you reach the boundaries of the transmission (depends on geography, but typically about 50 miles), the signal will become weak and the station will drift in and out until a stronger signal from a closer station is picked up and takes over.

XM on the other hand is transmitted from a satellite stationed above the North American continent, therefore signals bounced from the earth (from the radio stations) to the satellite are bounced back to the receiver on the roof of your car. As there is no geography to prevent the signal, the same station can be heard anywhere in North America.

I am afraid that this is a simplified explanation of a very technical issue and hope it does not start another forum war of words. Just trying to explain it in the simplest of terms, hope it helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Seasoned reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2006, 05:26 PM   #15
cottage

Quote:
"Drifting factor".

The reason why XM ( or any other satellite service) is popular.

Because of their ground based (think radar) distribution, regular FM/AM service can only be transmitted for a certain distance, as you reach the boundaries of the transmission (depends on geography, but typically about 50 miles), the signal will become weak and the station will drift in and out until a stronger signal from a closer station is picked up and takes over.

XM on the other hand is transmitted from a satellite stationed above the North American continent, therefore signals bounced from the earth (from the radio stations) to the satellite are bounced back to the receiver on the roof of your car. As there is no geography to prevent the signal, the same station can be heard anywhere in North America.

I am afraid that this is a simplified explanation of a very technical issue and hope it does not start another forum war of words. Just trying to explain it in the simplest of terms, hope it helps.
Thank you for the reply and for keeping it "Simple"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2006, 05:43 PM   #16
Seasoned

2007 AURA XR
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Hey cottage, when I replied I hadn't noticed where you were from, so now I can make it easier:

When you are driving from Oakville to Windsor listening to 104.5 Chum, by the time you get to Woodstock the signal is drifting and starting to change to a London station.

With satellite, you could listen all the way to Windsor (except that you cannot get Chum on satellite), but you see what I mean.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2006, 09:08 PM   #17
cottage

Thank You Seasoned, but this happens from the house to the corner of my street. They have found (so far) that the rear module is not working. Have ordered new parts. Will let you know what happens.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2006, 11:26 PM   #18
Saturn1us
Saturn1us is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I've had my Aura for about four weeks now and I am happy to say that it's sexy, handsome, and agressive. I thought the stereo had a problem because it would fade in and out--however, later I realized that this fading in and out occurred while I accelerated and decelerated my vehicle. I then went and looked through my Aura handbook and found out the Auras are equipped with "Speed Compensated Volume" (SCV). "While (SVC) is on, the radio volume automatically adjusts to compensate for read and wind noise as driving speed changes" (Aura Handbook 219). Please refer to page 219 to fix your problems. Thanks.
Nando

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn1us's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn1us reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:56 PM   #19
markdn2001
markdn2001 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn1us
Hello,
I've had my Aura for about four weeks now and I am happy to say that it's sexy, handsome, and agressive. I thought the stereo had a problem because it would fade in and out--however, later I realized that this fading in and out occurred while I accelerated and decelerated my vehicle. I then went and looked through my Aura handbook and found out the Auras are equipped with "Speed Compensated Volume" (SCV). "While (SVC) is on, the radio volume automatically adjusts to compensate for read and wind noise as driving speed changes" (Aura Handbook 219). Please refer to page 219 to fix your problems. Thanks.
Nando
That may be the problem for some people but my fm/am DOES fade in and out and I dont mean volume. The actual signal cuts in and out and the quality is sometimes very bad. And its not like im listening to a far away station. My other car never fades in and out like that and it also has speed compensation volume. I get better quality on a crappy clock radio in my house then I do in the Aura (the XM is clear and never fades unless I go under certain bridges or near tall buildings). But besides SCV or not, Mines not even on right now and no improvement in the "FADING".

When my mom had a Ford Windstar back in 2001 it had an integrated antenna and there wasnt any problems with signal, but they had it on the rear side windows I believe not the rear window. But I dont know if that would really make a difference, but it worked.

SGT Mark D. U.S. Army
TOTALED Apr 09~ RIPieces ~ 2007 Saturn Aura XR M-Blue
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2494357/1
SOLD Mar 09 ~1995 Saturn SC2,
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/589660

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to markdn2001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help markdn2001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
markdn2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:38 PM   #20
kg6mvb
kg6mvb has a spectacular aura aboutkg6mvb has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by setchell
Also, this could be caused by any tinting in the back window even if they say it is non-metallic and that they bypassed the antenna. I had my non-metallic removed because of poor AM reception and a visability problem and both were improved noticeably.
If the tinting affects the reception it IS metallic (regardless of what they tell you).

In general, window antennas don't work as good as a stick in the air. Of course the stick in the air doesn't look as good. The window antenna may even show some directional effects. Radio waves travel in straight lines. If the signal must pass through the car to get to the antenna, some signal will be lost. The way to see this effect is to go down a road in one direction (with poor signal), then make the return trip (in the opposite direction). I saw this effect on an old 77 chevy with a windshield antenna in a bad reception area.

Still, in a good reception area, you should be able to pick up everything with no trouble.

Good luck,
Tom

Proud to be a member of both the Ham Radio and Saturn Cults.

Avitar is a Saturn V rocket engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kg6mvb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kg6mvb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kg6mvb is offline   Reply With Quote