SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2006, 09:54 PM   #1
DeCaff2006
Advanced Member
DeCaff2006 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1994 SC2
Default More on VCG replacement.

Ok I followed Wolfman's instuctions to the T, all has gone well so far.

Cam cover is reinstalled and well, while I was under there I figured why not do an MMO piston soak while I'm at it.

Funny part is, I had the cover on the roof of the car (94 SC2) and I realized I grabbed the wrong size socket for the spark plugs. I ran back down to my basement, grabbed the right socket, and ran back out.... hit my head on the overhang on the stairs... knocked unconscious for almost 2 mins.

Woke up and my girlfriend was standing over me asking if I was ok.

Ouch.

Finally, I get outside and my 'friendly' neighbor comes out to see me working on my car. He has a beer in his hand and I ask him for one. I said I'd pay him.

He tells me it's piss warm and it's his last one. I thought ok no problem. 20 mins later, several of his friends roll up in a black SUV. He runs in the house and grabs a beer for each of them. GRRR. He could have just told me no.

I did get the cam cover on. It's also painted a really NICE shade of Metal Cast red. I'll have pics in the morning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeCaff2006's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeCaff2006 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeCaff2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2006, 07:47 AM   #2
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: More on VCG replacement.

Your neighbour is a dick.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:05 PM   #3
DeCaff2006
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
1994 SC2

I expected to get more replies about getting knocked out than about my dick of a neighbor.

Anyway, here's the pic as promised.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red valve cover.JPG (84.0 KB, 20 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DeCaff2006 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-11-2006, 05:37 PM   #4
sickcallawayc12
sickcallawayc12 is on a distinguished road

i knock myself silly every day, keeps me awake.
Your neighbor IS a dick. Probably didn't want to associate with a saturn owner. That cover looks good. If i was your neighbor i'd give ya a beer and say "job well done".

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LT
all stock for now (nothin' wrong with that either)

I'll miss my Saturn, from the AEM CAI to the rear main oil seal leaks to the giant APC stickers on the side (sarcasm)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sickcallawayc12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sickcallawayc12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sickcallawayc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:03 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Actually, I was thinking "he just knocked himself out, and then had a beer?"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:58 PM   #6
DeCaff2006
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
1994 SC2

LoL. I was so stressed out after everything that happened (didn't type all of it, just the highlights), I DID go out and have a few beers.

Anyway, the VCG is dry and doesn't leak... yet....

I took it for a nice test drive. Next thing I know... that smell... that familiar, sweet - yet - sour smell of ANTIFREEZE....NOOOO!!

SES light, Low Coolant light, and Temp light all came on at once.

I was two blocks from home and only halfway up the temp guage so I knew I could make it home.

I pulled over, popped the hood... the upper radiator hose had torn from the head, halfway to the battery, spraying EVERYTHING with antifreeze. I also noticed I had forgotten to plug the sensor back into the EGR solenoid. I'm wondering if that had anything to do with it?

The radiator is fine. Luckily, it was JUST a hose this time. Cleaning up all that green liquid is NOT fun and smells putrid.

Since I forgot to plug in the EGR solenoid, could that have lead to a burst radiator hose, or was this just an isolated incident from a 12 year old hose?

P.S. I did an MMO soak while I had the cam cover off and it did absolutely nothing. I'll try it again when the engine cools down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2006, 08:16 PM   #7
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCaff2006
Since I forgot to plug in the EGR solenoid, could that have lead to a burst radiator hose, or was this just an isolated incident from a 12 year old hose?
The EGR and the cooling system have zero do to with each other. Just double bad luck. Hopefully the contacts that you didn't plug in aren't wrecked from being covered in stinky coolant.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:24 PM   #8
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCaff2006
I ran back down to my basement, grabbed the right socket, and ran back out.... hit my head on the overhang on the stairs... knocked unconscious for almost 2 mins.
LOL, sounds like Tim Taylor from Home Improvement, everytime he goes into his basement he hits his head on that pipe.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:03 PM   #9
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

You need some yellow under your hood, then, you'll have all the primary color.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:24 PM   #10
DeCaff2006
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinghl
You need some yellow under your hood, then, you'll have all the primary color.
LOL I was thinking of putting yellow under there.

Right now I'm just too damn tired to think.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-12-2006, 02:58 AM   #11
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Are you running a short ram or CAI, perchance? Or have you removed the intake resonator? I had a short-ram in for a while, and without the airbox in, the rad hose was perilously close to a sharp edge of the battery tray. Eventually, with repeated vibration, the hose rubbed against that edge enough for it to slit the hose. So, when I replaced the hose, I took a section of the old hose and made an outer "sleeve" for the new one with it. Put it on the new hose with a couple of zip-ties.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:19 AM   #12
DeCaff2006
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue
Are you running a short ram or CAI, perchance? Or have you removed the intake resonator? I had a short-ram in for a while, and without the airbox in, the rad hose was perilously close to a sharp edge of the battery tray. Eventually, with repeated vibration, the hose rubbed against that edge enough for it to slit the hose. So, when I replaced the hose, I took a section of the old hose and made an outer "sleeve" for the new one with it. Put it on the new hose with a couple of zip-ties.
It ripped in a part no where near the battery tray. Normally, the FILTER on the CAI would rub a hole in the hose, but I've made a sleeve as you have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!