SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 12:28 AM   #1
billchez
billchez is on a distinguished road

Question extended warranty

It looks like tuesday is VUE day. Dealer said Tuesday VUE should be in. I need help on which if any type of extended warranty to buy ? What about price ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billchez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billchez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2002, 12:38 AM   #2
KoolVue
Advanced Member
KoolVue is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2002 VUE 3.0L

I added the 5/60,000 car care package to my VUE when I bought mine 2 weeks ago. It extends the bumper to bumber coverage up to 5 years or 60,000 miles. However, the price is step at 2,000.00. The bright side is all my routine maintenance is covered under this plan. So my only cost for the fist 60,000 miles is my gas and tires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KoolVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KoolVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2002, 01:47 AM   #3
pkschul
Advanced Member
pkschul is on a distinguished road

This issue has been covered extensively several times already... Do a search for "extended warranty" in the archives.
I decided not to get an extended warranty.... The dealer wouldn't offer it if they weren't making money off of it.
However, I do have up until the basic 3/36 warranty is up to change my mind. Consensus is to get the official Saturn warranty if you plan to get any.

Paul

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pkschul's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pkschul reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2002, 08:20 AM   #4
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Dealers many times will negotiate on extended wty once they see you don't grab it right off the bat in the finance office.

Don't even consider anything but official Saturn wtys.

Good luck with your new VUE.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2002, 10:25 AM   #5
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I wouldn't buy an extended warranty. For the cost of the warranty, lots of minor repairs could be paid for or one larger repair. Take your chances. The odds are in your favor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2002, 11:16 PM   #6
silverplum
silverplum is on a distinguished road

Idea

Put the money you would spend on an extened warranty in a mutual fund. You will be much further ahead in the long run.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverplum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverplum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2002, 12:34 AM   #7
KoolVue
Advanced Member
KoolVue is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2002 VUE 3.0L

I opted for the 5/60K on my VUE for three reasons. 1) The VUE is new and may have problems down the road. 2) My 1999 SL2 blew a pistion at 91k after religously maintaining the engine and the repair bill was estimated to cost me $2,500 to $4,000 if I would have not traded it in for the VUE I never want to face loosing my hiney on a high repair bill. 3) It is also comforting to know that all routine maintenance will be paid for for the next 5 years or 60,000 miles. I do admit that the $2,000 cost for the Saturn Care Package was hard to swallow but it gives me a piece of mine too, however, it does give me a piece of mind if the VUE does happen to get sick after the basic 36k warnanty has expired. I say get the Saturn Care Package - You are going to spend nearly that much anyway for routine maintenace for the first 60,000 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KoolVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KoolVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2002, 08:43 AM   #8
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

If you have the 2.2 on the VUE (It don't know how easy it is on the 6) and it's like the L you can do your own oil changes easily. I change my oil for under $10. When I let a Saturn dealer do it one time because of the cold they didn't change the oil filter. From now on no matter how cold changing oil myself. The service manager told me his guys are busy and it happens more than you think. He offered me a free oil change ... I don't think so. So the only maintenance I have up to 60,000 is oil changes (Air filter at 24K $27.00 and I found them for $19 ) and 2 - Cabin filters at $8.00).

20 oil changes = $200 (20 x 3)
3 Air Filters = $60
6 cabin filters = $48 (I do every 10K)
1 set wiper blades = $8 (The Saturn Blades are cheap)

Total = $316

One dealer says do tranny fulid filter at 60K so add $200 if you want. And if you fianance and pay tax on the maintenance contact is even more $$.

PS With the maintenance contact they change the oil at 3,000 or 7,500?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2002, 08:56 AM   #9
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Might pass on the Car Care plan, but the extended wty is a good choice for a first year model. You do have until 3/36 to buy one, but you may pay $100 extra at that time.

Having bought a first year "L", i'm comforted knowing that my repair cost will be zero for 5 years/75,000 miles. Since I'm a low mileage driver, will get full benefit. There are extended wty plans up to 100K.

Really suggest you consider it on a first year model.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2002, 09:05 AM   #10
wmacblue
wmacblue is on a distinguished road

Default Today, in fact....

.. I'm going in for my 3000 mile service and I'm adding the 39/50 car care plan. I'd prefer the 5/60, but I'm a VERY high mileage driver and will be paying for time which I won't get, so I'm going to compromise.... I do like having all my maintenance paid up front - not only does it mean I don't have to worry about it, but it also means that I'll DEFINITELY have the work done and will be more conscientious about keeping up with the maintenance (since I've already paid for it!!)

I think I'm also going to try a new program that Geico insurance is offering: essentially, it's breakdown insurance, but MUCH cheaper than the Saturn warrantee or direct warrantee companies, and it just gets rolled into your insurance premium.... roughly $80 a year. The deal is this: just about everything except basic maintenance is covered (I asked for a copy of the small print, and saw no worrying exclusions) -- they pay anything over the $250 deductible. You have to implement the insurance by 11K miles (you have to be the original owner) and they will continue coverage until 100K miles.

For a high mileage driver like me, this seems a more cost effective bet than a time-limited warrantee. Also, if I sell the car, I won't have paid for something I don't use.

And if I have any concerns before 36K miles, I'll just bite the bullet and get the Saturn powertrain warranty before the b-to-b runs out!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wmacblue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wmacblue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2002, 12:06 PM   #11
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Happy

I'd say if you have 4-cyl + Stick VUE then extended warranty is not needed as the Ecotec and Stick have proven from L200 class in reliability. But later if people pick the CVT or V6 AWD I'd suggest the bite the bullet and grab the plan, these 2 types of powertrain still have some uncertainties......Not to say they'll fail early, but a good warranty will give you better peace of mind in ownership.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2002, 12:43 PM   #12
ricksLS1
Master Member

If I had to worry about the CVT and buy and extended warranty for over 2K I think it would be smarter to look at another small SUV.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2002, 01:07 PM   #13
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally posted by ricksLS1
If I had to worry about the CVT and buy and extended warranty for over 2K I think it would be smarter to look at another small SUV.
Replacing the CVT, if it should fail, should cost less than $2,000, so why buy the warranty if the only concern is the CVT?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2002, 01:29 PM   #14
ricksLS1
Master Member

I'm just saying if someone feels that they should buy an extended warranty just because of the CVT they shouldn't buy an extended warranty or a VUE. I would never buy an extended warranty. I would not buy a VUE with a CVT if I thought I would have problems and I would have to lay out any money. Where did you find the costs fo replacing a CVT on a VUE? What is the list price for a CVT and the labor hours to replace one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2002, 01:45 PM   #15
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

I have no clue what it would cost to replace the CVT, but I figure it wouldn't be too far off a regular transmission. Did I read somewhere that the CVT would be cheaper to replace, or did I dream that?

I would never buy an extended warranty on anything except a laptop computer. I had a lemon laptop once (the company bought it back from me when the warranty ran out--it fell apart starting the day I got it brand new). Laptops can't be easily repaired with standard parts found at any joe-blow computer store.

For cars, my family has always bought used cars way past their warranty period. Sure, they've had repairs, but the most expensive was a $900 trasmission repair on a Honda. I don't worry about repairs since we have the money to fix it if something does go wrong.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2002, 01:54 PM   #16
ricksLS1
Master Member

I wouldn't buy a VUE until I know the CVT was reliable. And I wouldn't buy an extended warranty either so I wouldn't buy a view. No one knows what the cost would be anyways to replace/repair a CVT (yet). As far as we know they are having problems with the CVT before it is even being put in a VUE. Dosen't speak highly of at least the unit Saturn is planning to use. OH well .. Have to be cute .. Just like the Ion with the center pod and the bumper car steering wheel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2002, 01:56 PM   #17
ricksLS1
Master Member

That's VUE not "View"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2002, 02:21 PM   #18
BuySaturn
BuySaturn is on a distinguished road

Okay...let me get this right. Did someone say not to get the warranty because the dealer might make money on it??? Are you saying that we shouldn't buy things that folks who are selling it make money off of? Are you saying that you don't eat???? Better not buy any food....the grocery store is making money!!! And I bet that you work for free....right???
Oh the humanity.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BuySaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BuySaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2002, 02:25 PM   #19
ricksLS1
Master Member

I don't know who said that but what is the dealer mark up on those warranties? They pay out just pennies to the dollar. As I have always said to each his own and that this is a personal choice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2002, 02:55 PM   #20
BuySaturn
BuySaturn is on a distinguished road

The markup in a product should have NO BEARING on a decision to buy or not. All that matters is that you...the buyer...see value in the product you want to buy at that particular price. If you don't see the value...don't buy it. Why should you care what amunt of money someone makes??? Shouldn't companies/people that produce a product of equal value at a lower cost to themselves be rewarded for that. Let me explain it this way. Company A makes a car at a cost of $8k, and they sell it for $10K. Company B can make that same car for $7500, and they also sell that car for $10k. Company B makes more money as a reward for being better/more efficient etc. But it sounds like there are some people who would buy the car from company A based soley on the fact that they make less money selling that car than company B. Zoiks!!!!!! Capitalism folks....it makes this country work....gives most of you your jobs, and keeps the economy growing!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BuySaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BuySaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread