SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2006, 02:48 AM   #1
karinhesed86
karinhesed86 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Question Odd-looking washer fluid

Hi,

I'm new here; just got a '99 SL2 a couple months ago and recently took it into the Saturn shop for some body work after getting into an accident; so I was looking under the hood to see if I had enough windsheild washer fluid, and lo and behold, it's....purple....a light purple-ish. Now, I don't know much about cars, but I know enough to know that the fluid is supposed to be blue. I asked my dad (who used to be a car guy when he was younger--used to race hotrods and stuff with his brother), and he said that's not washer fluid in there, but he doesn't know what it is. Thoughts on this? I was thinking of emptying it, but I don't know how I would go about draining it....Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to karinhesed86's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help karinhesed86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
karinhesed86 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2006, 03:12 AM   #2
Token
Advanced Member
Token is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2
Default Re: Odd-looking washer fluid

I make my own - I use a 1 gallon jug. 80% water, 15% household window washer fluid, 5% isopropyl alcohol. I figured it costs me about 20 cents a gallon.

Oh yeah, to answer your question. Yes, you can buy window washer fluid in just about any color. You can even get it clear if you want.

"Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Token's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Token reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:20 AM   #3
GmG
Advanced Member
GmG is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1992 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by karinhesed86
...I know enough to know that the fluid is supposed to be blue.
Not necessarily. The "classic" washer fluid is blue, but there's a lot of newer products that are other colors. I use Prestone de-icer (lower freezing point), which is a yellow color. I can't say for sure if I've seen a purple one, but I may have. Someone on here may be able to tell you what it might be.

George
92 SCm 138k
98 SC2m 131k

"You shouldn't leave things in the fridge. That is the lesson."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GmG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GmG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GmG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:31 AM   #4
the_skin_eater
the_skin_eater is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

well if all else/....just use all the fluid to empty it. Hold the lever back for a long time...

Im not crazy, just bored...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/the_skin_eater ---Chek it out.

All my time goes to the Talon...My girlfriend is jealous. But my car is jealous that I sleep with her...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_skin_eater's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_skin_eater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
the_skin_eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:00 AM   #5
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

It probably is washer fluid and it's nothing to worry about. I've seen a brand here that is purple. It supposedly has de-icer in it. Prestone washer fluid is green, so while blue is the most common color, it's certainly not the only one.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:11 PM   #6
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Mine's orange-it's some type of de-icer. If you care what kind yours is, just look at the different fluids next time your in an auto-parts store-you'll probably see one just like yours.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:17 PM   #7
acr2001
acr2001 is on a distinguished road

Roll Eyes Re: Odd-looking washer fluid

It's washer fluid! Who cares?!
1. Does it wash your windows well?
2. Does it stay liquid at freezing temps? Maybe use an antifreeze tester?

That's all i'd be cared about. I have a mix of blue and orange washer fluids in my tank right now... guess what color that makes? purple!

- 1993 SL1 Auto 100,000+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acr2001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help acr2001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
acr2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:51 PM   #8
dcamden
dcamden is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
1993 SL2

I think RainX washer fluid is purple. You're looking at the bottle closest to the front of the car right? Not to sound stupid but that's the washer fluid and the rear one closest to the windshield is the radiator fill. Don

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dcamden's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dcamden reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dcamden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:54 PM   #9
DarrylLeeOHS30
Advanced Member
DarrylLeeOHS30 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcamden
I think RainX washer fluid is purple. You're looking at the bottle closest to the front of the car right? Not to sound stupid but that's the washer fluid and the rear one closest to the windshield is the radiator fill. Don
Yeah he's right. there's a type of rain-x that's purple. really high-dollar quality stuff.. don't drain it. The kind of rain ex ive got is pink. So it comes in all colors.. so you can relax... its ok

-Darryl

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DarrylLeeOHS30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DarrylLeeOHS30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DarrylLeeOHS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:56 PM   #10
itsmesillybubba
itsmesillybubba is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

its winter washer fluid...just filled mine up with purple

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
My 95 SL1 is gone :(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to itsmesillybubba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help itsmesillybubba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
itsmesillybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:29 AM   #11
karinhesed86

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr2001
It's washer fluid! Who cares?!
1. Does it wash your windows well?
2. Does it stay liquid at freezing temps? Maybe use an antifreeze tester?

That's all i'd be cared about. I have a mix of blue and orange washer fluids in my tank right now... guess what color that makes? purple!
sorry lol I wasn't entirely sure what it was--just knew that it was in the washer fluid container Thanks for the tips, everyone!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help karinhesed86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2006, 12:35 AM   #12
Becket
Becket is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

if you're from Canada, Canadian Tire sells the Motomastor Teflon stuff.....also purple. I think you're pretty much safe. Not much can go wrong with your washer fluid.

***EDIT***
Just noticed you're from Milwaukee, WI, guess that rules out the Canadian Tire washer fluid hehe

1993 Saturn SC2 DOHC 5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Becket's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Becket reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Becket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:52 AM   #13
noreason
noreason is on a distinguished road

What does it taste like? Maybe its grape juice...

(i'm kidding. dont taste it)

I'm sure its normal, i cant think if anything damaging that is purple in color

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to noreason's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help noreason reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
noreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:40 AM   #14
karinhesed86

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreason
What does it taste like? Maybe its grape juice...

(i'm kidding. dont taste it)

Tastes like chicken! lol. My dad did sniff it (car guys....go figure ), and he said it didn't smell weird or anything...oh well whatever lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-17-2006, 12:48 PM   #15
JADEDSL2
JADEDSL2 will become famous soon enough

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2
Thumbs Up Re: Odd-looking washer fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcamden
Bingo!!!! RainX fluid.

"1G8ZJ5472MZ134321"-my Jaded, I will never forget.
"1G8ZF5594PZ249184"-Trinity, for three are now one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JADEDSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JADEDSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:25 PM   #16
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

There's a brand of high-concentrate washer fluid called "Purple Power". Very popular on the east side of Madison.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:02 PM   #17
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

Standard washer fluid is blue.
Rain-x washer fluid is orange
Mr. Clean washer fluid is green
winter washer fluid is purple

I stock this crap everyday at work

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RalliArt16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RalliArt16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RalliArt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:18 PM   #18
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Rain-X also makes a yellow, or pink (winter). In fact it seems the only colors we haven't listed are, red, brown and black. So washer fluid comes in all kinds of colors.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:50 PM   #19
karinhesed86

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliArt16
Standard washer fluid is blue.
Rain-x washer fluid is orange
Mr. Clean washer fluid is green
winter washer fluid is purple

I stock this crap everyday at work
Thanks! So now when it runs out, will I be fine just putting the blue stuff back in or do you recommend using the winter stuff for the remainder of the winter season?

2002 SL2 Automaic... going strong at 89,000 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-17-2006, 10:01 PM   #20
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by karinhesed86
Thanks! So now when it runs out, will I be fine just putting the blue stuff back in or do you recommend using the winter stuff for the remainder of the winter season?
Well, if you have a tendency to get a slight layer of frost/ice on your windshield, the rain-x will usually melt it off, and it won't freeze or gel when it gets really cold (it's good to like -45F). If it gets down to like 20 below, the blue stuff might gel, but it won't expand or brake anything (unless of course you put a bunch of water in it). It depends on what you care about; if you don't have frost or if you prefer to use a scraper, and never use your windshield washer-get the cheapest stuff (but don't expect it to work when it's much below zero). If you want it to do anything toward melt ice (only a very thin layer) you should get the rain-x (or other similar product) winter fluid. Around here, rain-x is like $2.50 and regular blue stuff is usually $99 (although it can usually be found on sale for less).
I would use the rain-x because for $1.50 extra, you never know when you might need it. No point in using rain-x during the summer though (not that it would hurt if you didn't drain it out and change it).
Again, there really isn't much difference in results or price so it's up to you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote