SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2005, 10:36 PM   #1
turbobuick33
Advanced Member
turbobuick33 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
Default Today I hit 200k miles on my 92 SL2

Today my 92 SL 1.9 dohc hit 200k miles..Car runs excellent only thing is that it eats oil..I have to add oil every time I fill up with gas..Also since I hit 200k miles should I start thinking or not about replacing the timing chain? Have you guys replaced your timing chain on your saturn when you hit 200k miles? There is no noise.. Or should I just wait till I hear some noise on the passenger side.. Then replace the timing chain?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to turbobuick33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help turbobuick33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
turbobuick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2005, 10:45 PM   #2
dp97sc2
dp97sc2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Re: Today I hit 200k miles on my 92 SL2

Id wait till there is some noise or other symptoms...on the other hand another post just mentioned a change in materials beyond 1994 so Maybe it would be a good Idea. Have you tried anything to cure your oil consumption? congrats on the 200k!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dp97sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dp97sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dp97sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:03 PM   #3
charcoal
charcoal is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

Hey! That's great!
I'm new here so I'm not a maxed out authority, but 200K on a chain is a whopper. It probably should be changed since if it breaks it will eat (bend) the valves in the head and present an expensive repair. Part of the repair will present an opportunity to replace the front oil seal and perhaps reduce some of the oil consumption.

As far as the oil consumption...This could be caused by leaks at the front and/or rear main oil seals (or by worn valve stem guides/seals), or I read a tech service bulletin (TSB) from Saturn about pouring solvent in the spark plug holes to wash out the piston rings and free them up. Apparently the piston's oil rings get locked in with deposits and will no longer scavenge the oil off the cylinder walls, causing high consumption. Saturn has this procedure and it is simple and takes only a half day to do.

I'm sure other members of the forum will respond with more detailed information.

I had really good success by pouring in a can and a half of Berryman's carb cleaner into the spark plug holes while the engine was WARM (NOT HOT! as it is flammable liquid and could ignite) and letting it set for a couple hours then cranking the engine without plugs to purge any remaining liquid, then re-inserting the plugs and starting and warming the engine up for a few minutes and then changing the oil and filter afterward to flush out the remaining solvent. I thought this was a horrendous thing to do, so on my already trashed saturn motor I tried it...

I later removed and disassembled the engine (to replace the crankshaft and all bearings as part of a lower end overhaul resulting from a spun #2 rod bearing) and noted that ALL piston rings were washed clean of residues making it much easier to clean up this part of the engine's innards in preparation for re-assembly. Saturn sells these solvents for around $35. Two cans of Berryman's costs $10 and does the same job!
Be careful doing this because the solvent is flammable as petrol...
Best Regards,
charcoal

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to charcoal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help charcoal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
charcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:04 PM   #4
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

wait for the noise.

http://www.supload.com/vid/rattlechain/1405354521/wmv/

was what mine sounded like when I got it.

OTOH if you go in to do the piston rings and are keeping the car for the long haul a new timing kit is a good idea. (Kit includes sprockets, tensioner, guides too.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:19 PM   #5
clemsonsaturn
clemsonsaturn is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

Congratulations!

I have a 1992 SL2 that I am restoring to keep around since they are my favorite. Mine has 220,600 miles on it, although the engine needs to be rebuilt.

Any pics?

2008 Honda Civic LX Atomic Blue
1992 SL2 Two Tone Medium Red/Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to clemsonsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help clemsonsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
clemsonsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 01:47 AM   #6
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

I have no pics yet but i'll soon get some, as for the oil consumption there is no oil leaks underneath at all. I didn't do the MMO engine top cleaner yet. Not sure if it will help. The weather here in Chicago is to cold right now for me to do it. Last week I did a oil change and I used the Shell Rotella 5w40 oil and still burns. I still have to add oil after I fill up with gas. Its not leaking its just burning up but its not coming out the tailpipe. Theres no blue smoke at all. So its probably worn valve guides, seals and worn piston rings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help turbobuick33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2005, 09:59 AM   #7
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

The MMO piston soak might help the oil usage. These timing chains usually give you some warning before they go. So, there's no danger in just waiting for it to start rattling. OTOH that is a lot of miles on one chain. It wouldn't hurt to replace it. If it was me, I'd wait for it to get noisy. It's a real pain to replace.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:31 AM   #8
HiWire
HiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really niceHiWire is just really nice

2001 SC2

Congrats! I guess replacing the timing chain couldn't hurt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HiWire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HiWire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HiWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 04:37 PM   #9
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefino
wait for the noise.

OTOH if you go in to do the piston rings and are keeping the car for the long haul a new timing kit is a good idea. (Kit includes sprockets, tensioner, guides too.)

How many miles do you have on your saturn? And about how many miles did this timing noise start happening?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-03-2005, 09:32 PM   #10
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobuick33
How many miles do you have on your saturn? And about how many miles did this timing noise start happening?
When a timing chain goes is more a function of maintenance than miles. If your car has had oil changes when it should and the oil has been checked on a regular basis, you may never have a problem with it.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:25 PM   #11
ringed1
ringed1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefino
wait for the noise.

What a great link! That kind of video is worth a page of description.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ringed1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ringed1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ringed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:34 PM   #12
adhhaahok
adhhaahok is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1993 SC2

barnowl is completely right on this one, though it also has to do with how you drive your car, which leads right back to regular maintenance. if you drive your car hard (like i do my SC2) then you need to spend a lot more time and money on maintenance. if you drive it easy (like i do my SL1) then it (your timing chain) shouldnt pose a problem and should last until you sell, blow up, total, get piss at and kill, or loose interest in your car.

Oh, and if your rings are worn or cracked, smoke will come out of your tail pipe. i thought i had cracked a ring one time, so we pulled the engine apart, and it turned out that the cylinder walls were all scratched up and was pocketing oil that was being bypassed by the rings and burning up against the head. if you do not have smoke coming out of your exhaust, then this is not your problem. search the forums and see if anyone else has ever had your same problem. a lot of people dont check the how-to's and past forums, but they are useful tools that help, because just about everything that can go wrong with a saturn has on this site and people have posted about it.

oh, and about the smoke color, different colors mean different things

i dont know what all the colors mean but,
White = water or coolant
Black = carbon/oil

hope this helps some

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adhhaahok's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adhhaahok reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adhhaahok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:29 PM   #13
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Congrats on the 200K mile mark. I hit that in sometime in 2003....as I hit the 250K mile mark June 2004, and 275K mile mark May 2005.

Currently I am at 286145 miles as of 12/04/05.

When I bought my car in February of 1997 it had 59K miles on it. I was religious on oil changes (and still am to this day every 3-5K miles)....my timing chain went when I hit 100K.

The stipulation as many will tell you that *the timing chain is SUPPOSED to last the lifetime of the car*, but not all of them will...

My best advice would be to let the chain go until you start to hear the noise...many will tell you that replacing the timing chain, tensioners, etc. is very time consuming. If it isn't broken right now, I would wait until you start hearing the noises. After I had my timing chain replaced at 100K, I haven't had any problems since....the timing chain that is in there right now is the same one that I had installed back in 1999, and after now 186K miles on that chain....I'm not going to replace it until it needs it (which could be for another 100K miles!! who knows) I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

If there are other things you need to replace under the hood, I would take care of those first...the timing chain can wait if it isn't bad right now.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 03:16 AM   #14
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

I can't be responsible for the racket that timing chain made in the video. Bought the car that way. 116,000 miles, likely neglected. Previous owner didn't believe in our state inspection system and drove around for nine months without a sticker. Ironically I put a muffler on and now believe it will pass. Also CEL was on when I got car for an unrelated problem. General nimrod owner. At least it had 5.5 quarts of dirty oil in it ("Maybe more oil will shut it up", he must have thought.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote