SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2005, 04:00 PM   #1
friskyspatula
friskyspatula is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
Default Crankshaft Sprocket Retainer Tool

Ok, I have given in to the fact that I am going to need to replace the head on my wife's 97 SL1, it seems to be somewhat common problem. I am now part way into dissassembly and all of my references state I need a Crankshaft Sprocket Retainer Tool to take off the timing chain cover. Do I really need this? Or, can I take the cover off without it? I have rebuilt some motors but they were all old school V-8's. I need some advice from you folks who have already done this on the 1.9.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to friskyspatula's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help friskyspatula reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
friskyspatula is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2005, 04:38 PM   #2
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Crankshaft Sprocket Retainer Tool

I did my timing chan without one. I've see a post on here that said you can cut the bottom out of a 35mm film cannister and use that.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:34 PM   #3
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

I've done two without it. I think it might help keep the oil pump gear lined up with the crankshaft.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:41 AM   #4
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

The oil pump and crank never lined up for me, after priming the oil pump, and turning the engine over to confirm timing. Just stick your fat fingers in the oil pump (=) shaped thing and spin it around till it lines up. The crank sprocket doesn't really go anywhere the timing chain holds it and I don't see a problem if it does slide out a bit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:02 AM   #5
SaturnTech
SaturnTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by friskyspatula
Ok, I have given in to the fact that I am going to need to replace the head on my wife's 97 SL1, it seems to be somewhat common problem. I am now part way into dissassembly and all of my references state I need a Crankshaft Sprocket Retainer Tool to take off the timing chain cover. Do I really need this? Or, can I take the cover off without it? I have rebuilt some motors but they were all old school V-8's. I need some advice from you folks who have already done this on the 1.9.

Thanks
Don't need it....never used it. Line the oil pump up by hand when you reinstall the cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:55 PM   #6
friskyspatula
friskyspatula is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Thanks for the info everyone, I really appreciate it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to friskyspatula's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help friskyspatula reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
friskyspatula is offline   Reply With Quote