SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2001, 02:17 AM   #1
SoCalSaturnsGuzzis
SoCalSaturnsGuzzis is on a distinguished road

Question 60K svc on early SW2

Need some help here folks. While I was TDY to Aviano Air Base in Italy over the summer, my wife took my '94 SW2 to a local Saturn dealer for its 60K service. Total cost was $359, and the following repairs were recommended:

engine torque axis mount collapsed, both DIS module corroded, engine cam cover gasket seeping into #1 and #3 plug holes, engine oil pan seeping

When I looked at the copy she faxed to me, all that came to mind was I paid a lot of money for what amounted to, in my opinion, a glorified oil change and tire rotation. I would've thought changing the VC gasket would've been part of the 60K service. And I have no idea what they mean by the "torque axis mount collapsed" and DIS module corroded.

Perhaps other early S-series owners can shed some light on this?

Robert Brooks
Fillmore, CA
'94 SW2
'01 LW300

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SoCalSaturnsGuzzis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SoCalSaturnsGuzzis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2001, 07:00 AM   #2
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

The torque axis mount commonly fails and causes vibration. It's at the top of the engine and soaks up the torque when your engine flexes. The rubber in it ages and cracks over time. It's not out of line at 60K. When it gets bad and you fix it, the difference will be very clear.

The module corrosion has been seen quite a few times. Perhaps
it can be cleaned. there's a fairly recent thread about this in the Tech Talk board. Spark plug wires may also be ready for a change to prevent arcing at the DIS (ignition coil) or spark plug.

Gasket seeping into plug sockets is also relatively common and is not something the dealer would throw in with a normal service.

May want to get a second opinion if you don't feel confident in the dealer's diagnosis. Some dealers tend to write as much work as they can on each service visit. However, the items mentioned are common trouble areas.

The 60K service at my dealer involves:

Oil + filter
Tire rotation
Trans fluid change (if automatic)
Coolant flush and change (early '96 and prior)
Spark plug change
Numerous inspections
Lube all hinges

You may want to ask the dealer what was done if your wife's invoice wasn't itemized.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-09-2001, 11:00 PM   #3
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

The 60k mile service should have also included a fuel filter change, which is about $30 parts, and $35 labor. However, if they serviced the radiator, it may have been early and out-of-schedule. The regular green coolant in my schedule calls for servicing every 36k miles. Also, Saturn of Cerritos includes a transmission fluid change on 30k mile intervals, even on manuals, even though it is not scheduled. Yes, it is a steep price for a glorified oil change, which is why I now do the 30k mile services myself, now that the warranty is up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Heartbeat - '95 SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Heartbeat - '95 SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-10-2001, 09:44 AM   #4
cris_thomas
Advanced Member
cris_thomas is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1995 SC2

The 60K service for $359 sounds about right. Besides changeing the oil it also includes a fuel filter change and a fuel injector cleaning and a bunch of other items that don't normally get done. It is worth it in my opinion.

The Torque Access mout you should definately have fixed. If you don't you will end up eventually ripping out the lower engine mount or other nasty things might happen.

Valve cover gasket is another must do item. If your wife or neighbor is mechanically inclineded you could do it yourself in under an hour.

Module corosion tends to happen more frequently in areas with heavy salt air concentrations.

As for the Oil pan gasket I know it sounds serious but it might not be. Mine has been seeping for the last 25K. These are a real pain to replace as you have to remove parts of the exhaust system and the engine cradle to get to it. Put some newspaper under the car at night and see how bad it is leaking. If it is not to bad then just keep a close eye on the oil level.

- Cris Thomas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cris_thomas's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cris_thomas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-10-2001, 10:32 AM   #5
Duke
Duke is on a distinguished road

Default 60K mile service

First, there is only one DIS modue (Distributorless Ignition System). Secondly, I see you are from California. This module was covered under your extended emissions warranty... you are out of warranty by time, but it's worth asking about. This is a crappy part, should not corrode and Saturn knows about it. Perhaps a call to the 1-800 number might get this covered.

The Fuel injector cleaning is BS. There is no need for this and it not recommended by the factory. Unless the car is running poorly, this is a waste of money. Buy a $5 bottle of fuel injector cleaner and pour it into your gas tank if you think you need this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Duke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Duke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-10-2001, 08:21 PM   #6
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

The price you mentioned sounds about right to me. All the Pennsylvania Saturn service departments I have used have clearly marked and printed service schedules that break down all the service items, both Saturn or local recommendations, and it is never a problem if you want to make additions or deletions. For example, I change my own plugs, have a K&N drop in air filter, and use Mobil-1 synthetic oil. I also usually have them change stuff like fuel filters MORE frequently than their schedule calls for.

Most of the service calls OTHER than the 30/60/90/120K services are between $25 to $50, which really impressed my neighbor who has a "NUMMI" Nova (same as a Toyota) and a 2 year old Camry. He says that EVERY time he drives into his Toyota dealer it costs him at least $400. He is looking at replacing the aging Nova and I am talking up the SL2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread