SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2005, 01:34 AM   #1
Sony
Sony is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
Default question on sc2 speed chips on ebay

OK, now is it worth buying those speed chips that are on ebay that promise to gain you 15-20 hp for your sc2 by just plugging them into your mass-airflow sensor. or are they just a load of bull?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sony's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sony reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2005, 02:09 AM   #2
GmG
Advanced Member
GmG is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1992 SC
Default Re: question on sc2 speed chips on ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony
just a load of bull?
^^

Your skepticism is well founded, they are a load of bull. Ditto for the $30 "electric superchargers".

George
92 SCm 138k
98 SC2m 131k

"You shouldn't leave things in the fridge. That is the lesson."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GmG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GmG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2005, 02:11 AM   #3
SKILMATIC
SKILMATIC is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
1996 SC2

Yeah I really havent seen any dyno sheets to prove that they work so I cant tell you that they do. I just dont know. But I can telll you they prolly dont. Try checking there feedback for there product.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SKILMATIC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SKILMATIC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2005, 09:30 AM   #4
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

You know skilmatic, sometimes you can just use your brain to figure out how much of a piece a product like that is.

Don't waste your money!

-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sps SOHC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2005, 10:30 AM   #5
Sony

1994 SC2
Default Thankyou

Well i would like to thank you guys for the help and thankyou for saving me my money.
-Rick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sony's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sony reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2005, 10:52 AM   #6
mars_volta
Advanced Member
mars_volta is on a distinguished road

its usually a resistor that plugs into the IAT (intake air temp) and fools the PCM into making the car run richer or leaner. dont know..since i dont know what value the resistor is.. stock IAT is about 3500 ohms IIRC.

anyway, your car will not run properly and may lose power and gas mileage.

get a SAFCII and tune out the rich spots at WOT. you can pick up 15 whp just by doing that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mars_volta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mars_volta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2005, 11:13 AM   #7
Sony

1994 SC2
Default ok im just a noobie

well hey im new to this scene, and i dont quite know alot. would you mind telling me what an safcII is?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sony's Reputation
Old 06-30-2005, 12:19 PM   #8
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2
Default Re: ok im just a noobie

The Apex-i Super Air Fuel Computer II is a small computer (about the size of some radar detectors) that has an LED screen. You wire the computer into your PCM. It reads current air/fuel ratios and allows for adjustment of those ratios. Tuning your car on a Dyno w/ an SAFC can result in as much as 15 whp (w/ bolt ons, probably not stock).
It is an EXCELLENT thing to purchase for a quick increase in HP but only if you have a dyno to go tune it on. There are no dyno's in this area (except one that only does RWD) so I had to pass on it for now.
An excellent site with Installation instructions and how to set it all up: http://www.turbosaturns.net/articles/SAFC%20install.htm

can't get better than that!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2005, 12:22 PM   #9
ud503j
ud503j is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
2002 SL2

Quote:
The Super AFC II (Air Flow Converter) is the industry standard for sub computer fuel control. The S-AFC II is designed to fine tune and "squeeze" power out of existing engine setups by allowing the user to modify the fuel curve with precision accuracy. Since the act of simply bolting on performance products does not make maximum horsepower, the S-AFC II allows the user to calibrate the fuel system in accordance with performance upgrades as they are installed. The AFC modifies the air flow meter/ pressure sensor signal voltage going to the factory ECU (Engine Control Unit) to change the amount of fuel injected. The S-AFC II utilizes a VFD (Vacuum Florescent Display) to display critical data in three different modes.
You can pick them up on ebay for around 100 bux usually. If you plan on doing any kind of tuning in your car, adding a turbo or supercharger, even doing any kind of nitrous, eventually you'll want one of these.

1997 SW2 --> 'Vi'
g/f's 2002 SL2 --> 'Raven'

R4V3n SP33D's boytoy!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ud503j's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ud503j reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2005, 01:27 PM   #10
SKILMATIC
SKILMATIC is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
1996 SC2

And dont forget you have 2 different ones you have the SAFC1 and the SAFC2. If you go turbo you will prolly want something a little better than just a safc. Just my opinion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SKILMATIC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SKILMATIC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2005, 01:40 PM   #11
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

the main difference between the SAFC I and the SAFC II is the adjustment points in your RPM range. the SAFC I allows for 8 adjusment points while the SAFC II allows for 12 adjustment points. I don't believe the SAFC I has the knock sensor like the second one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!