SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2001, 10:31 AM   #1
Tinkerbell97SC2
Tinkerbell97SC2 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Dizzy New Mod: The Everytime I go to my car, It's DEAD Mod

Yeah, this is a great new mod (not) I got it about a month ago. This is how it works: I go to my car, press the unlock button on the keypad, and nothing happens!!! Sounds great, right? Not really... This junk started about a month ago... The car will die, I charge it up, get a new battery, (STILL DIES), get a new alternator, (STILL DIES), bring it to the dealership & pay $120 to fix it, (STILL DIES!!!) WTF?!?!?!? I am so mad at this point, I don't know what to do. I am about to like push the stupid thing in the lake!!! What can I do???

One Saturn down, one to go...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tinkerbell97SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tinkerbell97SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2001, 10:40 AM   #2
cha0tic 97SC2
cha0tic 97SC2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
2004 VUE Red Line

I had the same problem on my 97 SC2. However, it was my battery in the keypad that was dead. You might want to check that too.

Also remember that if you lock with the keypad, and unlock with the key. Your car won't start because of the "anti-theft" system in it. It should beep at you when you open the door.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cha0tic 97SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cha0tic 97SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-25-2001, 09:33 PM   #3
Tinkerbell97SC2
Tinkerbell97SC2 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

No, the car battery is actually dead. I recently changed the battery in my keypad because it died. I took my car back to the dealership today for them to try to figure out what it is... AGAIN

We are almost positive that there is a short somewhere. But we don't know where and don't know how to find it. UGH! I guess I will have to keep bumming rides off of people and borrowing my bofriend's POS car

One Saturn down, one to go...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tinkerbell97SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tinkerbell97SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-26-2001, 06:24 PM   #4
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

Here's a trick you can try to isolate the problem if you are mechanically/electrically inclined.

Open the fuse panel.

Disconnect the positive battery cable from the battery.

Take a test light, attach one wire to the positive post on the battery, and the other to the postive battery cable.

The light should glow fairly brightly, indicating that something is shorted. The brighter the light, the more power is zapped by the short.

Now, take each fuse from the panel, one at a time. When you pull the one for the circuit that is shorted, the light will dim and perhaps go out entirely.

Note that this procedure will lose your radio presets and probably any stored adjustments in the PCM, but the radio can be reset and the PCM will relearn in a few minutes of operation.

Now you need to get a wiring diagram for the circuit you found.

Remove the test light, reattach the battery cable, reinsert the fuse at the panel.

You can you use the test light and follow the circuit back to the point of failure. It takes a bit of patience to work through a complicated circuit.

One other thing - you don't say how quickly the battery gets run down and how often you drive the car. It could be something left on when it shouldn't be that isn't obvious - such as an underhood light with a mercury switch that is misadjusted so the light doesn't shut off when the hood is closed, or the trunk light/switch.

I've heard of a story where a lady's car did exactly what yours did and the mechanics could n't figure it out. Turns out her driveway had a steep slope and the trunk light mercury switch would turn on thinking the lid was open - but only when she parked in her driveway.

good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!