SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2005, 12:06 PM   #1
rkuris
rkuris is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default Another problem

After my 1995 DOHC automatic SL2 was stolen a month or so ago, I've had ongoing problems with the suspension. I found that both the lower tranny mount and the upper engine mount were fried, and replaced them both, which fixed the bulk of my problems.

However, I'm still having some issues with steering. The wheel almost has a "play" in it, although not quite. When you're driving, it will sort of sway a little to the left, then sway a little to the right. It's very subtle, but it's noticeable if you think about it. It's not an alignment issue; I had that corrected already. I think I found the problem. It appears that the lower control arm's connection to the tension strut doesn't appear the same on both the driver's and passenger sides. However, I'm not sure which is "correct", so can someone look at these pictures and tell me which one is bad?

http://divdb.com/gallery/view_album....umName=album01

(note: I would have put these on the local gallery but it seems to be down)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rkuris's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rkuris reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rkuris is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2005, 07:58 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Another problem

A problem with the tension strut (sway bar) will not have any appreciable affect on steering. You will get a "clunk" going over bumps, or when cornering, but no wander. "Play" or "wander" is usually a tie rod end or ball joint problem.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 01:05 AM   #3
rkuris
rkuris is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default Re: Another problem

Aha!

Yes, I was also getting a "clunk" when going over bumps and sometimes when cornering. I thought it was related to the play (serves me right for not reporting everything, but THANK YOU Wolfman!)

Apparently, it was. I spent the day replacing the driver's side lower control arm. When I pulled it, it wasn't blatenly obvious what was wrong with it. I think the rubber gasket may have been broken inside or something. I haven't taken the old one apart yet -- not even sure you can.

However, replacing it with one pulled from a 92 with 75k on it (thanks Pick -n- Pull) completely resolved BOTH the free play and the clunk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rkuris's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rkuris reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rkuris is offline   Reply With Quote