SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 06:32 PM   #1
floyd
floyd is on a distinguished road

Default Dealer Service

I just had a repair done on my 94 sl2 for the second time. It was the valve body gasket of the auto transmission. The first time, in 1999, the repair cost $137, including fluid.

The second time was yesterday. The cost for the exact same repair was $324. Plus they charged me an additional $50 for transmission service, due to the loss of fluid.

Both times were Saturn dealers, but 2 different ones. The Opcode was the same for both. What’s gong on? Have I been ripped off? Or did I just get a deal the first time. I brought this up with the service manager, but he just said, well everything has gone up in 6 years. (Yes, but not 200% !!)

Do all the dealers charge the same flat rate for a given repair?
floyd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floyd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floyd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2005, 07:33 PM   #2
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Re: Dealer Service

Noooooo, the prices have defintely gone up at the dealerships.

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2005, 10:20 PM   #3
floyd

OK, thanks. But I was wonderng if all dealerships charge the same as each other. I guess nobody on this board has that kind of info.

Let me put it another way- does Saturn set the rates for each repair, or is up to the dealership?
floyd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help floyd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2005, 11:04 PM   #4
Jmmcool
Jmmcool is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

I work at a Chevy Cadillac dealer in Manistee MI,prices will very from dealer to dealer, depending on what they do, if they can get it apart or, what not. or go by the Labor guide. it various

1993 SC-2
1987 Nissan Stanza
Yates Chevrolet Cadillac - Manistee, MI [url]http://www.yatesauto.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jmmcool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jmmcool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2005, 08:53 PM   #5
floyd

OK, I guess that's the way it works then. For some reason I thought they all worked off the same price book. (Like they do when they sell the cars, right?)

Here's part of the answer I got from Saturn:
"Also, each Saturn facility is independently owned and operated. Therefore,
prices may very well vary from one location to another."

They are looking into it for me, so I'll let everybody know if anything happens. (If anybody cares?)

Thanks-
floyd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-25-2005, 10:30 PM   #6
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Quote:
"Also, each Saturn facility is independently owned and operated. Therefore, prices may very well vary from one location to another."
That is what I was thinking. The Saturn dealership where I purchased my car is pretty new and in an affluent neighborhood. Real estate is very expensive in that area. Overhead must be higher, and I would expect repair prices to be higher. Also, I expect labor rates to go up every so often, since employees get raises, health insurance cost are increasing dramatically, and parts are probably more expensive than they used to be.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2005, 10:36 PM   #7
SexyMexi02SC2
Advanced Member
SexyMexi02SC2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

pardon my ignorance... maybe the availability of the part is changed too... ? I know that it was over $300 to get a driver side window replaced when my car got broken into in February, and since my car is a 2002 (and that was the last year they were made), I know it's harder to find parts. So that might have had something to do with it, too... I'm not sure.
Good luck! And yes, keep us posted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SexyMexi02SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SexyMexi02SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2005, 11:35 AM   #8
nashville0303
nashville0303 is on a distinguished road

To get something repaired in New York will cost alot more than in Mississippi. Whether they are both Saturn dealers means nothing. You should always avoid the dealer if you can. They will suck you dry. I brought my Saturn in a few months ago for a repair that another shop kept screwing up. It cost me $100 more. Now I get a letter from the Saturn dealer every week telling me to bring my car in for a tune-up or whatever. They need to lighten up or stop ripping people off. One or the other.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nashville0303's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nashville0303 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2005, 11:40 AM   #9
floyd

Well in this case the only part involved was a gasket, fairly cheap. The price did go up on the gasket, but not even doubled in price.

If the cost for the service had only doubled, I probably would have just rolled over. But this is well beyond double.

Too bad my salary doesn't double every 6 years!

floyd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2005, 12:00 PM   #10
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

The tranny gasket shouldn't need to be replaced every 6 years....it's really not part of the maintenance. Make sure the tranny fluid level is filled correctly. You can check it, there's a dipstick there. Read the owner's manual for how.

Sadly speaking, price for car repair has jacked up each year. Like others have mentioned...operation costs, etc are all bumped-up. It was like $45/hr labor charge 10 years ago, now it's $like 85/hr in my area already. Parts is up, same as Gas price too......

The only thing goes down each year in our cars is the face-value, nothing else.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2005, 03:21 PM   #11
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Umm, doesn't GM have a thing where if you have them fix it and it breaks again, the second fix is free??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2005, 07:54 PM   #12
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleninpa
Umm, doesn't GM have a thing where if you have them fix it and it breaks again, the second fix is free??
I doubt for a repair made 6 years ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2005, 08:03 PM   #13
tksaturn
tksaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Hey Nashville0303,
Did you ever stop to think that if you went to the dealer the first time, you wouldn't have(more than likely)had to keep going back. How much more did it cost you to keep going back to the other shop that kept screwing it up? How many times did it need to happen for it to occur to you that 'hey, now I'll use the dealer." Dealer don't always try to rip people off like they think we do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tksaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tksaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread