SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
So_Lo_Saturn
So_Lo_Saturn is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1
Default Speed Chip On Ebay

Speed Chip On Ebay I was on Ebay today and seen this. Does anybody know the value of the resistor used. I have a bunch of resistors in the garage. Does this actually work?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to So_Lo_Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help So_Lo_Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2005, 03:42 PM   #2
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Speed Chip On Ebay

For less than $5 ($7 shipped) I can press the throttle down further and accomplish the same thing. I believe the PCM basically ignores this sensor (and the fuel map) somewhere around 80% throttle and above, it then just keeps dumping all the fuel it can muster. All this thing will do (if anything) is decrease your gas mileage at lower throttle levels. It sure isn't going to increase hp by 10-20 as hp/tq are measured at WOT (i.e. maximum fuel delivery).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2005, 05:33 PM   #3
94sc2boy
94sc2boy is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

K-1

you'll do all that for me for 7 bucks shipped! In 49 states, Sorry Tennessee!

s0_lo check the search in the forums. young grass hopper those questions have already been asked tons of times. Search for the answers there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94sc2boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94sc2boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2005, 07:47 PM   #4
emptypockets
emptypockets is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1

Yeah those things have been discussed before on here. I remember reading one not more than 1-2 weeks ago. So does anyone know the value of the resistor used like he asked? That would be cool to just try it out in your car some day for the $0.03 it actually costs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emptypockets's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emptypockets reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2005, 12:35 PM   #5
So_Lo_Saturn

1994 SC1

Quote:
Actually, the sensor signal to modify is the ects.

By placing a 220-300 ohm resistor in parallel with it, it when the engine is hot, the pcm will think its at 240*. This will LEAN the mix out (GOOD) and retard timing some (BAD for n/a, GOOD for boost).
quoted by theSaturnKid
I used the search. Finally fiqured out how to use it. Does n/a stand natural asiparted engine or stock?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help So_Lo_Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2005, 12:39 PM   #6
K-1
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Yep.

NA or n/a = naturally aspirated
FI = forced induction
TC = turbocharged
SC = supercharged

There used to be a big long list of acronyms somewhere titled something like "Tech speak deciphered" or something like that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2005, 12:41 PM   #7
So_Lo_Saturn

1994 SC1

Thank you K-1. I'll have to look for that topic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2005, 12:45 PM   #8
K-1
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Wolfman was the thread starter, I believe. So you can narrow your search to about 7000+ posts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Old 02-03-2005, 11:18 PM   #9
greensaturn
greensaturn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actually, the sensor signal to modify is the ects.

By placing a 220-300 ohm resistor in parallel with it, it when the engine is hot, the pcm will think its at 240*. This will LEAN the mix out (GOOD) and retard timing some (BAD for n/a, GOOD for boost).
So_Lo_Saturn
quoted by theSaturnKid
Since when is leaning out the fuel good for boost? That is new to me. Why would you want your engine to think it's 240 degrees?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greensaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greensaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2005, 11:33 PM   #10
TheSaturnKid
Master Member
TheSaturnKid is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensaturn
Since when is leaning out the fuel good for boost? That is new to me. Why would you want your engine to think it's 240 degrees?
Can you read? It says the leaning is GOOD FOR N/A. the timing retard is good for boost, less chance of pre-ignition. the leaning wont be good for boost, but you arent relying on the stock fuel bits anyhow, when you are boosting.

If the pcm reads the engine as being very hot, it will lean out the mixture, which is good for n/a. saturns run PIG rich from the factory, not exactly optimal for making power n/a. They run at under 12:1. Mine ran about 11.4:1, not exactly great for power!

Also, if you are relying on the stock fuel system, alone under boost, you are going to have many more issues than just your resistor mod. lol snapped rod anyone? lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheSaturnKid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheSaturnKid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2005, 11:43 PM   #11
greensaturn

Kid, I can read fine and dandy! You must not be able too however since the topic of the post is a question about a resistor mod for a N/A engine, not a boost application.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help greensaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2005, 12:30 AM   #12
SLeepr
Master Member
SLeepr is on a distinguished road

To clarify, the topic didn't specify the application. Also, TSK's quote was pulled from another post.

Let's not drag this thread out into a pissing contest. This kind of crap ruins the forum.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLeepr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLeepr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2005, 10:23 AM   #13
greensaturn

2,700 ohms is typical. This will tell the computer it is between 30 and 40 degrees F. Which is ideal for performance. Anything with a higher resistance would yield even colder temps, and just waste fuel. If the outside temp isn't above 40 or so anyway, you wouldn't even notice a difference.

Additionally these resistor mods have absolutely no effect on boost or supercharged applications which is why it is safe to assume here that it is a N/A engine in question.

I am in agreement with most everyone that these resistor mods are a waste of money however and am not endorsing them in anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2005, 02:03 PM   #14
OvenRude
OvenRude is on a distinguished road

lol....I can't believe people would fall for that garbage. Just like that "tornado" thing...does nothing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OvenRude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OvenRude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2005, 05:11 PM   #15
TheSaturnKid
Master Member

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensaturn
2,700 ohms is typical. This will tell the computer it is between 30 and 40 degrees F. Which is ideal for performance. Anything with a higher resistance would yield even colder temps, and just waste fuel. If the outside temp isn't above 40 or so anyway, you wouldn't even notice a difference.
haha youre an idiot! stay away from your car! the lower the resistance=the higher the tempurature! The higher the temp, the leaner the mixture.

You WILL benefit from this on a boosted engine, especially if you are having detonation problems. A member at tsn monitored his timing advance curve on a tec2 and found that making the engine think its at 240*, via a .02$ resistor, retarded the timing curve by 4*. It worked for me, but my charge temps were WAY too hot to quench all the detonation. It did however make a BIG difference.

If you are NOT having any detonation issues, doing this will just increase your egt's.
But agreed on the point, it is pointless on an n/a engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TheSaturnKid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2005, 09:54 PM   #16
sc2dave
sc2dave is on a distinguished road

i also think these are crap, but what resistor in the ects would make the air/fuel ratio be in the area of 14.7.1?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2dave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2dave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2005, 10:06 PM   #17
TheSaturnKid
Master Member

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc2dave
i also think these are crap, but what resistor in the ects would make the air/fuel ratio be in the area of 14.7.1?
why would you want it there anyway?

you cant modify it athat much, theres no way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2005, 10:16 PM   #18
sc2dave
sc2dave is on a distinguished road

i want to run it around there, since alot of people say it runs rich already, plus i usually don't race mine, but if i were to, i would just take the resistor off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2dave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2dave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2005, 10:24 PM   #19
greensaturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaturnKid
haha youre an idiot! stay away from your car! the lower the resistance=the higher the tempurature! The higher the temp, the leaner the mixture.

You WILL benefit from this on a boosted engine, especially if you are having detonation problems. A member at tsn monitored his timing advance curve on a tec2 and found that making the engine think its at 240*, via a .02$ resistor, retarded the timing curve by 4*. It worked for me, but my charge temps were WAY too hot to quench all the detonation. It did however make a BIG difference.

If you are NOT having any detonation issues, doing this will just increase your egt's.
But agreed on the point, it is pointless on an n/a engine.

Saturn Kid, Thank you once again for insulting me. I appreciate it. Too bad you have such a perceived influence on a forum like this, it doesn't say too much about the Saturn community. However since I am not a kid, I know better than this.

When referring to colder temps in my posts, I was referring to simulated outside air temps, not internal engine temps in which case my post was correct. Thank you for pointing out my unclarity, this is exactly what this forum needs is someone to go over everyones posts and analyze them for mistakes and then insult them at every opportunity.

Fortunately, for me my Saturn is just a daily transportation vehicle like most people, and my Twin Turbo which is what I play with (not my saturn) suffers from no pre-detonation, because I am smart enough to know that gapping down the spark plugs a few thousands will prevent this problem, rather then adjusting timing and loosing peak hp.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2005, 10:36 PM   #20
TheSaturnKid
Master Member

1997 SC2

Quote:
Saturn Kid, Thank you once again for insulting me. I appreciate it. Too bad you have such a perceived influence on a forum like this, it doesn't say too much about the Saturn community. However since I am not a kid, I know better than this.
You are welcome. Im glad you arent a kid. Someone with all of 8 posts questioning something to be proven to work, doesnt say much for the latest rash of newbies. Yes, Im an ass hole, I know this.

Quote:
Fortunately, for me my Saturn is just a daily transportation vehicle like most people, and my Twin Turbo which is what I play with (not my saturn) suffers from no pre-detonation, because I am smart enough to know that gapping down the spark plugs a few thousands will prevent this problem, rather then adjusting timing and loosing peak hp
You honestly think that wasnt exactly what I tried first? ha, besides running 2 step colder plugs, I also had them gapped all the way down to .30 Problems were still showing up. Modding the ECTS sensor, exactly as how I described took car of about 90% of it, with the remaining detonation being above 6200 RPM. Not really a problem, but an intercooler would have most likely solved this. But, considering the stupid setup was only putting down 160 horse at the wheels, it wasnt my cup of tea. Grossly underpowered, the blower was about maxed out at 8 psi.

We arent even talking about ambient air temps. We are talking about the engine tempurature. And even such, the IAT read the EXACT same way the ECTS does, lower resistance=higher temps.

The IAT "mods" have been proven repeatedly not to work, the best you can do is make it run pig rich, over what it already is. You dont want that, especially in a saturn!

The ects mod, VERY MUCH SO, worked for me. The benefit you would see n/a is not really going to be there though, as the timing retard would hurt n/a power and even boosted power. But the leaning of the fuel trim, will help it.

Its a toss up, nothing, including speed, is cheap....

And as to the 14.7:1 thing, max n/a power is made around 12.5:1. You woont be able to make it that lean with what we are speaking of, you will need a map modifier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!