SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 02:55 PM   #1
jb12
jb12 is on a distinguished road

Default Tire Service Code - 88H vs 87H

My OEM Firestone Firehawk GTAs have 42K miles on them; my service center did not rotate them properly and they will need to be replaced soon.

I've done several searches and readings of this forum and tirerack.com, and the tire I want is the BF Goodrich Traction T/A, which at 195/60R15 has a service code of 88H. The Firehawks are the same size but the service code is 87H. I gather that the "88" indicates a higher load rating, meaning it can carry more weight, but I don't know if this would create any problems if I mount and drive them on my '02 SC2's stock alloys. I seriously doubt it, especially since tirerack.com lists it as a best seller (but that may be by size only, not necessarily for this car), but I just wanted to make sure before I buy. I searched this forum and couldn't find an answer. I don't trust auto service people not to install parts that are incompatible with or will somehow harm my car; I've had that happen before.

Thanks for any help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jb12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jb12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2005, 10:42 PM   #2
BigShelby
BigShelby is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Tire Service Code - 88H vs 87H

The tires will work just fine. From my research, the only issue with a higher load rating would be a slight stiffer ride quality. One number higher isn't that significant. There should be some type of chart on that website that would tell you what the exact load capacity is for each rating. Hope this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BigShelby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BigShelby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2005, 12:16 AM   #3
David Harleyson
David Harleyson is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Remember a higher load rating on the tires WILL NOT allow you to carry more weight. That is assuming you are not changing the springs, sway bars, shocks etc. If those components are not being uprated too, stick with the vehicle weight rating in the owners manual. That said, one # on the sidewall will not even be noticed. Enjoy the new tires!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David Harleyson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David Harleyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2005, 08:01 PM   #4
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Load Index

P195/60R15 87H - The load index (87) is the tire size's assigned numerical value used to compare relative load carrying capabilities. In the case of our example the 87 identifies the tires ability to carry approximately 1,201 pounds.

The higher the tire's load index number, the greater its load carrying capacity.

89 = 1,279 pounds
88 = 1,235 pounds
87 = 1,201 pounds
86 = 1,168 pounds
85 = 1,135 pounds

A tire with a higher load index than that of the Original Equipment tire indicates an increase in load capacity. A tire with a load index equal to that of the Original Equipment tire indicates an equivalent load capacity. A tire with a lower load index than the Original Equipment tire indicates the tire does not equal the load capacity of the original.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread