SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
mdfrench
mdfrench is on a distinguished road

Question crank timing gear retention tool

I'm changing out my head on a 96' sohc engine. I'm down to removing the timing cover. (BTW, the crank pulley bolt was a bear to break loose.) Do you really need to use use the crank timing gear retention tool mentioned in the repair manual? I was thinking about making something out of thin walled pipe if I had to. Also, is the key on the crank end suppose to come out easily?
Thanks in Advance,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mdfrench's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mdfrench reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2005, 12:28 PM   #2
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: crank timing gear retention tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrench
I'm changing out my head on a 96' sohc engine. I'm down to removing the timing cover. (BTW, the crank pulley bolt was a bear to break loose.) Do you really need to use use the crank timing gear retention tool mentioned in the repair manual? I was thinking about making something out of thin walled pipe if I had to. Also, is the key on the crank end suppose to come out easily?
Thanks in Advance,
IMO, this special tool is not really necessary, as long as you are careful to ensure that the oil pump geroter slides off the end of the crank sprocket when the timing cover is removed. If it sticks, then the timing chain guides could be damaged. A light tap with a plastic mallet should ensure that the two parts break free, if temporarily stuck, while the timing cover is being removed. The special tool makes it easier to align the oil pump geroter during reinstallation, but if you've properly packed the oil pump cavities with petroleum jelly (necessary to prevent oil pump cavitation and subsequent oil starvation during start-up), then the oil pump geroter will be easy to hold in place and yet moveable enough to allow for alignment when pressing the timing cover back in place. FWIW, I did not use the special tool when I rebuilt my DOHC, so I know from personal experience that it is not absolutely necessary.

I don't think the crank key is supposed to be removed, and there's really no need to remove it during a routine rebuild. Mine stayed in place during the entire rebuild, even though the crankshaft went to an outside shop to be polished.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-01-2005, 12:54 PM   #3
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

PS - There are detailed pictures of a complete engine rebuild (96 DOHC) in my photo gallery. Some of the photos might prove helpful to you for visual reference. Click the little camera icon to the left of this post under my avatar, and go the very last page to start in sequence.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2005, 04:54 AM   #4
Chunky
Chunky is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

[QUOTE=mdfrench]Do you really need to use use the crank timing gear retention tool mentioned in the repair manual?/QUOTE]

Not really, but can't hurt...

Quote:
I was thinking about making something out of thin walled pipe if I had to.
You can make your own... use an empty 35mm film canister, cut a hole in the end to let the crank bolt pass though... insert the canister and it'll keep the timing gear and oil pump in place...

Quote:
Also, is the key on the crank end suppose to come out easily?
Yes.. it'll fall out on it's own. Perfectly normal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chunky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chunky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-05-2005, 12:33 AM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

The retention tool if I am thinking of the same thing that you are talking about is not really a crank sprocket retention tool so much as a tool to keep the oil pump drive in position as the timing cover is installed. If you are replacing the timing chain and sprockets, which is a good idea if you are in there any ways, you can use the old crank sprocket to hold the oil pump drive in place.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread