SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 03:06 PM   #1
cxc273
cxc273 is on a distinguished road

Default Need opinions on front grille guard, side body cladding

Now that my new Vue (silver nickel) is on order, I've started thinking about adding accessories to it. I'm definitely adding the mud guards, rear bumper protection pad, and some interior items, but I'm a bit torn over the side body cladding and front grille guard.

I've looked over some previous threads regarding the side body cladding, and I'm still debating over whether to get them or not. I know they'll help protect the lower parts of the doors, but I've also heard some observe that the cladding makes the Vue seem shorter and more station wagon-like. Can anyone weigh in on this? Does the bottom of the Vue get that torn up that cladding is absolutely necessary? (I live in the northeast U.S.)

I'm also contemplating the front grille guard, because I think it looks pretty cool, but can anyone tell me of any benefits or disadvantages to adding it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cxc273's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cxc273 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2003, 03:23 PM   #2
bob shanks
bob shanks is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

I put cladding on when the bottom of my door got damaged. It is a great cover-all. If you don't like it now wait till you may need it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bob shanks's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bob shanks reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2003, 03:31 PM   #3
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

I have ordered it. I saw how it looked on a black VUE in a dealers showroom when I was in for repairs. So next project is wheel flares and body cladding. I also ordered Chrome letters for the cladding. They sent Chrome stripes. I will tape these on and if I like the look will install

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2003, 03:57 PM   #4
cxc273

Do the bottoms of the doors tend to get damaged a lot, especially in winter? Does the adhesive do a pretty good job of keeping dirt and moisture out where the cladding's been applied?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cxc273 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2003, 04:21 PM   #5
scotted73
Advanced Member
scotted73 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

The mudflaps (molded) seem to do a good job of protecting the bottom of the doors. I have not noticed any scratches or damage to the doors in the last 12,500 miles.
The side cladding may look better on a darker vehicle because it would not stand out. In my opinion, the lighter vehicles look better without it.

2007 Outlook XR AWD Charcoal
Ebony Leather, Captain's Chairs and everything else from the audio/video/convenience world

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotted73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotted73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2003, 05:04 PM   #6
Arizona_Jim
Arizona_Jim is on a distinguished road

I just picked up my Silver Nickle VUE on Monday. I went with both the side body cladding & the dark gray pinstriping.

I really like the way it looks and have received nothing but compliments from friends that have seen it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Arizona_Jim's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Arizona_Jim reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2003, 08:48 PM   #7
strider
strider is on a distinguished road

I just got word my white 4/awd will be in this week and I've been debating the same thing as you. I think the door mouldings look great, but I also love the new Redline Vues. So I'm going to wait on the door mouldings till I can find out when the Redline's front and rear Fascia's will be available. If they're not to much I'm thinking of replacing mine with the Redline style fascias, then I won't need the door mouldings. Good luck with your Vue!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to strider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help strider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2003, 09:12 PM   #8
The Math God
Advanced Member
The Math God is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

As you can see, I have both side cladding and a front grill guard. I wish I had put on the side nerf bars.
In my opinion it is more an issue of looks than do they have a purpose.
I just think they look cool and dress the Vue up a bit.

2007 Vue -- AWD 3.5 Honda
2005 Vue -- AWD 3.5 Honda
2007 Ion 2 -- 2.2
2005 L300 -- 6 cyl

Gone but not forgotten
2003 Vue -- 105K-traded in
2000 LS 2 --140 K-totaled
1994 SL-- 100K-sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to The Math God's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help The Math God reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2003, 09:31 PM   #9
Arizona_Jim

Default Re: Need opinions on front grille guard, side body cladding

Quote:
Originally posted by cxc273
Now that my new Vue (silver nickel) is on order, I've started thinking about adding accessories to it. I'm definitely adding the mud guards, rear bumper protection pad, and some interior items, but I'm a bit torn over the side body cladding and front grille guard.
One thing if you do get the cladding... make sure it gets put on right the first time. Mine was put on just a bit too low and is starting to scrape the door sill.

I noticed it was low when I picked up the VUE, but I thought it was a style thing.

Dealer said to bring it in this Friday and they would pull it off and replace it with new. (I wouldn't mind, but I only picked up the VUE Monday!).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Arizona_Jim reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2003, 11:04 PM   #10
burlyvue
burlyvue is on a distinguished road

I really like the side cladding. It completes the line from the rear quarter panel over both doors and mates with the front fender. I am thinking of getting it also but hesitant as my Vue is the bright white. Hmmmmm...

I do have the front grill guard and think that is pretty cool. I got mine on Ebay and installed it myself... twice! Kinda goofed the first time. (Who needs to read the dang instructions anyways...Ok, ME!) I recommend Ebay for the parts as you can save some big bucks from the dealership's prices.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burlyvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burlyvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-20-2003, 10:56 AM   #11
Arizona_Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by burlyvue
I really like the side cladding. It completes the line from the rear quarter panel over both doors and mates with the front fender. I am thinking of getting it also but hesitant as my Vue is the bright white. Hmmmmm...
I saw a bright white VUE w/the cladding and thought it looked sharpe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2003, 04:40 PM   #12
cxc273

I think I might skip the cladding and front grille guard ... for now. I am already racking up a lot of expenses with other things I'm planning to put into my Vue, such as the glove box lock, gas cap lock, cargo cover, and mudflaps, not to mention a certain holiday coming up in a few weeks!

Obviously, if the bottom of my doors get damaged, I'll go ahead and get some cladding put on them.

Someone else brought up a point today that the '04 Vues have the painted door handles, so from a style standpoint, the cladding doesn't match as well as with the previous years' models. It still does, however, finish the line from the rear quarter to the front fender.

Thanks so much to everyone who replied. Again, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I'd also like to hear from anyone who does have the front grille guard to see how much they like or regret it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2003, 04:52 PM   #13
slowneo
slowneo is on a distinguished road

Why do you think you will need a locking gas cap?

Last locking glove box my parents had (1979) was forced open and ruined the dashboard. There was nothing of value in there.
I would not suggest tempting someone to break yours.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slowneo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slowneo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-20-2003, 05:37 PM   #14
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by burlyvue

I do have the front grill guard and think that is pretty cool. I got mine on Ebay and installed it myself... twice! Kinda goofed the first time. (Who needs to read the dang instructions anyways...Ok, ME!) I recommend Ebay for the parts as you can save some big bucks from the dealership's prices.

EBAY and saturnaccessories.com. The dealers charge to much for parts and the labor. And no sales tax on online orders. $5 shipping on any order at saturnaccessories.com. Saturn accessories is a dealer

Last edited by ricksLS1; 11-20-2003 at 05:43 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-21-2003, 12:09 PM   #15
cxc273

I had planned on buying my accessories from Saturnaccessories.com, since they're cheaper and are only charging $5 for shipping, compared with my local dealer.

As for slowneo's comments regarding locks for the gas tank and glove box, I've never owned a car that's not been equipped with one. Certainly no lock is foolproof and impenetrable, but it might ward off a casual thief or buy enough time that a passerby (hopefully with a badge) sees what's happening that whatever is inside is safeguarded. And after what's happened to some SUVs out in California by environmental extremists, another $20 to make sure no yahoo steals my gas or pours sugar down my tank is, in my mind, money well spent!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2003, 10:49 PM   #16
burlyvue

Regarding the locking gas cap. The locking one does not have the plastic strap that connects the cap to the gas cap door. I went through a few hoops to try to attach the locking cap to the existring strap and could not acheive this. Try not to drive away from the pump and forget your cap.

The other day a very pregnant lady drove away from from the pump at the Arco station with the nozzle still in her brand new Land Rover. She did stop though and we all rushed to help her. That Land Rover is a tough vehicle. Her actions did not damage her vehicle at all. The pump was fine too and the connection broke off clean. She was pretty embarrassed though!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help burlyvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2003, 03:55 AM   #17
scotted73
Advanced Member
scotted73 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

The gas pump connections are designed to break off cleanly. They also use a non spark producing metal material to prevent the chance of a fire.

2007 Outlook XR AWD Charcoal
Ebony Leather, Captain's Chairs and everything else from the audio/video/convenience world

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotted73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotted73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2003, 03:17 PM   #18
SEVUE2002
SEVUE2002 is on a distinguished road

Cool

I love the look of the side cladding. It 'completes' the look on the side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SEVUE2002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SEVUE2002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2003, 05:18 PM   #19
WeeeZer14
Advanced Member
WeeeZer14 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Some one wondered about cladding on white? Here it is (and the front grille guard) on mine... (more pics in my gallery)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WeeeZer14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WeeeZer14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2003, 10:51 PM   #20
burlyvue

Weezer your Vue is really cool and I will use this picture. Wife likes cladding too so will prolly get that. Whoo hoo... more stuff for the Vue. Are you going to get the raised lettering for the rear of the cladding? I'm skipping on the mud flaps as not too much mud in SoCal. What do you think of the performance of the sunroof visor? Does it cut down on the wind noise at freeway speeds? Looks pretty cool. Thanks for posting the pic!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread