SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2019, 08:20 AM   #1
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

Default bulbs, tire rotation and dirty tricks

hi sages- what kind of bulbs light up the dashboard instrument cluster and how do you access them. looks like there are 4 or 5. a bezel held in by 2 screws appears to have to come out first. looks like wheel would have to be in lowest position. guessing instrument cluster is then held in by screws. shyster dealer wanted a $115 fee. worried I may lose my faith in dealer larcenies. also like to rotate my tires every 5k miles. current set has 30k. last time moved backs to fronts and fronts to backs. uncle moe says better to cross them. what think you? thanks tons bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
ernesto rex
ernesto rex is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: bulbs, tire rotation and dirty tricks

rfisher,

Here is the tire rotation procedure that I've used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LS2 Tire Rotation.jpg (56.9 KB, 9 views)

2000 LS2

2003 VUE 3.0 FWD

2002 MINI Cooper R50

1978 GMC PU 7.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ernesto rex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ernesto rex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ernesto rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

FWIW, Front to back and vise versa is the best method for rotating radial tires. The "X" method worked fairly well for bias ply tires back in the day and did lead to max. tread life

Radial tires do not like to be rolled in different directions. They take a set on each side of the vehicle and can caused handling problems when the are changed to roll in a different direction.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
GregS&L
GregS&L is a jewel in the roughGregS&L is a jewel in the roughGregS&L is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1995 SL2

^Agree with front to back & visa versa rotation on the same side of the car. On FWD cars the front tires usually wear faster than the rears. A good floor jack positioned on or about the middle of the car frame can raise the entire side up for quick tire rotation. I do it at about every oil change.

The instrument panel R/R is very easy on these cars. One of our members kindly took the time to document and photograph this procedure. Follow this link:
http://www.dwdav.com/saturndash/saturn200.html

The GM replacement bulb part number is 21019274. Believe RockAuto or possibly your local FLAPS could have equivalent aftermarket bulbs for less $.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GregS&L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GregS&L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GregS&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:46 PM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

There are four torx head screws securing the Instrument Panel bezel to the dash: two visible at the top and two below (not visible) covered by the panel beneath the steering wheel (called the knee bolster in the FSM). Four 10mm hex head screws attach the I/P Cluster to the fire wall. There are at least four bulbs that illuminate the I/P cluster. There are others for the turn signals, the DRLs, and the "bright headlights" reminder which are the same, p/n 21019274 (as mentioned above). If your odometer light fails - as mine eventually did - the p/n is 21019273. It's an LED bulb, distinct from the others.

When I replaced these bulbs I also removed the cardboard panel at the back of the cluster as it was easier to see everything there. BTW, you can extend the life of these bulbs by using the lowest level of dimming you find suitable for night driving. I've done this now for many years and it has substantially increased the service life of all of those bulbs.

Post #2 shares a thumbnail picture of the tire rotation procedure recommended by the manufacturer, SATURN, from within the Owner's Handbook. Members may disagree with that manner of rotation, but if so pray tell: why would the manufacturer recommend a maintenance operation to the owner that would result in the shortened usable life of the tires on the car (a car which they designed and for which they provided required warranty service at one time)? So I agree with Uncle Moe. Lastly, the dealer is out of their ever-lovin' mind with that fee.

327,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 08-25-2019 at 10:01 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote