SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #1
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL
Default Bye to Saturn

Well, it's been a nice run. Car's been great but needs an engine overhaul so will replace my 97SL with a "junker". Too costly to fix. Too bad because the car looks great! Inside and out.
Many, many thanks to fdryer and OldNuc for all the valuable help they've given me over the years! I couldn't have kept the ole girl running nearly this long without their expertise. Very much appreciated.
Will try to sell this "shell" because the inside and outside is in really good shape. In San Diego if anyone is interested in a great body. Thanks again for all the help. What a great forum and great people!
Jerry
P.S. If anyone in the San Diego area has a low mileage Saturn S series for sale, I'd be interested.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2019, 05:46 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Bye to Saturn

Sorry to hear that your trusty SL has passed away. You will be able to find another one fairly easily I would suspect.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:16 PM   #3
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Say Jerry, before you go?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...839649427.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

+1 to what OldNuc said.

Sure you need an overhaul?

How many miles did it end up with?

Way I look at it, if you buy another car, you have a Saturn that you can learn how to rebuild an engine on cheaply, at your leisure

That's one of my retirement plans to keep me busy

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #5
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

I'm wrestling with that situation now.

1997 SL- blown head gasket- lucky the head isn't cracked- Now I'm ready to put it together, with a valve job and new timing chain, I'm thinking Re-ring or Don't re-ring......

But a couple hundred $$$$ here (I bought it new and haven't had a major problem yet) is cheaper than depreciation on a new Rio or Accent, as its replacement.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:57 PM   #6
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

Don’t go

Come back!

Come back!

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:37 PM   #7
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

Thanks, fellas and yes, it's been a "good ride" and it's killing me to send it to the junk yard! Again, the outside and inside are absolutely great and you'd never guess it was as old as it is. I do have it advertised on Craigslist for a "mechanic" to take it over to keep it alive and taking offers but no one has responded to the add.
I think the "death knell" is when my cylinder #3 had the broken spark plug inside, doing its damage----don't know for sure but over time, all the plugs started to foul out early. My trusted and honest mechanic who rebuilt the engine a few years ago told me that it would cost as much to fix it this time as it did then (actually a hundred dollars over) and I've come to the realization that with not too much more money I could move up, maybe a couple hundred thousand years. Yes, my car has around (broken odometer) 300K and with the engine work, I needed new tires, the Ca. registration is now due so I don't have much choice. It actually broke at a good time.
All you guys on this board are great and I have to say that I've not belonged to another forum where I got so much valuable and helpful information. Thank you all, very, very much. For you who have the knowledge to really keep your Saturn running indefinitely, KEEP ON DRIVIN!
Jerry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2019, 11:35 PM   #8
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: Bye to Saturn

I feel twangs of nostalgia for my 97 SC2 periodically, so I sympathize.
But it went to a good friend who utterly loves it and pampers it.
I do still visit it from time to time and he plans to keep it on the road far into the future, come what may.

I second that this forum is the best.
I have not found anything remotely like it for our other vehicles.
Kudos and many thanks to the forum owner/founder for sure.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:39 AM   #9
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
I feel twangs of nostalgia for my 97 SC2 periodically, so I sympathize.
But it went to a good friend who utterly loves it and pampers it.
I do still visit it from time to time and he plans to keep it on the road far into the future, come what may.

I second that this forum is the best.
I have not found anything remotely like it for our other vehicles.
Kudos and many thanks to the forum owner/founder for sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2019, 06:48 AM   #10
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Well another one bites the dust. I hate to see you go Jerry, but I've been on that fence for a while now myself. When my car was recently hit by another driver, I considered using it as an excuse to move on, even though their insurance covered the entire repair. Somehow I've considered this car disposable for quite some time, yet keep on keeping it.

As for the forums, agreed that they are way up their in support. But you missed one aspect, which was YOUR contributions. That's one of the things that makes these forums great, is such a large user base that shares information.

Here's to hoping you find a new Saturnfan to take your old car off your hands, and then find the perfect "grandma's car" S Series to replace it with.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:33 AM   #11
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
Well another one bites the dust. I hate to see you go Jerry, but I've been on that fence for a while now myself. When my car was recently hit by another driver, I considered using it as an excuse to move on, even though their insurance covered the entire repair. Somehow I've considered this car disposable for quite some time, yet keep on keeping it.

As for the forums, agreed that they are way up their in support. But you missed one aspect, which was YOUR contributions. That's one of the things that makes these forums great, is such a large user base that shares information.

Here's to hoping you find a new Saturnfan to take your old car off your hands, and then find the perfect "grandma's car" S Series to replace it with.
Thank you. I wish I could find someone to take it over and work on it instead of handing it over to a junkyard. Hate to see it "cannibalized" so to speak. But, no other option. Still love the ride and feel! Looking around now for something with 200K less mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2019, 01:07 PM   #12
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...839248470.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #13
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
+1

Purely by coincidence, was looking at my AC notes for an air conditioning thread on the tech forum. I keep a list of best thread links, notes, etc., organized by major components.

Guess what I found?

Quote:
How To write up by JerryHughes
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138272

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:15 PM   #14
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Thanks for the heads up on that one----that's a sweetie! And with so few miles. I will have a look. I'm also looking at a 2008 Honda Civic but can't go for the price he's asking but intend to make an offer. 57K miles and he's asking 7K but if I can get him down---- He hasn't answered my email yet but it's been for sale for about a month and still no takers so maybe it's not in as good a shape as it looks in the pics. (Did notice a dent on the hood though) Thanks again.
(Do you other folks see what I mean about this being the greatest forum on the Web? Where else do you get this much unselfish help?) Sad to leave.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2019, 02:21 PM   #15
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
+1

Purely by coincidence, was looking at my AC notes for an air conditioning thread on the tech forum. I keep a list of best thread links, notes, etc., organized by major components.

Guess what I found?
Yes, and I guess, from the consensus of others, it's a helpful two pages about A/C repair. My air is still running!
And----it was killing me that I may have had to scrap my 97 but I have found a buyer for $300. Not the best price, considering what great shape everything else is in on the car but the engine does need a lot of work. Especially glad because this will be this guy's son's first car. They will work and bond over fixing it up. Could not be happier that the ole girl is going to live on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2019, 11:47 PM   #16
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHughes View Post
Yes, and I guess, from the consensus of others, it's a helpful two pages about A/C repair. My air is still running!
And----it was killing me that I may have had to scrap my 97 but I have found a buyer for $300. Not the best price, considering what great shape everything else is in on the car but the engine does need a lot of work. Especially glad because this will be this guy's son's first car. They will work and bond over fixing it up. Could not be happier that the ole girl is going to live on.
If you think of it, mention Saturnfans when you sell it to him. Not only would it be a great resource for him and his son but it would be cool to see updates every so often how how the car is coming along.

97 SL2, auto, 117K miles