SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2003, 10:45 PM   #1
97SCa-spec
97SCa-spec is on a distinguished road

Default Supercharge?Help.

Anyone here ever heard of Black Sheep Racing ('95 SC2 I think) and or a man named Neil Geirman (spelling on the last name may be different but it's close ) ? I was talking to someone from BSR a long time ago about a custom supercharger from Knight turbos and am getting geared up to go for some force fed action on the old A-spec and would dearly like to talk to them again . Why supercharge you say ? Just to try it out and to be different . But not like dodge different or anything . lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97SCa-spec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97SCa-spec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2003, 01:11 PM   #2
SLeepr
Master Member
SLeepr is on a distinguished road

Yeah, SCDYNE has one available too. I'm still waiting for some dyno results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLeepr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLeepr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-02-2003, 04:03 PM   #3
SCDYNE
SCDYNE is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
1997 SC2

The TKT set-up uses a Vortech blower and the few people who have gone that route are all now in contact with me on a weekly basis trying to get it working.
The blower is just too large for a stock Saturn motor and the blower takes a long time to generate any boost.

Check out my site
http://www.scdyne.com
There is a lot of information and photos along with a dyno of a system that actually works like it's supposed to.
I use a much smaller Powerdyne blower that is better matched to our engines along with a proper sized pulley that makes power low in the rpm's and increases progressivly as engine rpms increase. Even the base system generates 6 psi of boost on a stock DOHC motor and puts 160+ HP to the wheels not even intercooled.

SLeepr, you waiting for me to have dyno results?

http://www.scdyne.com/dyno.html
I have had them for at least a year now..
I even have the physical print out too for all the people who think I made this up..
Thing is that the print out is usless to anyone with any real analysis skill, I would much rather have the data.
The data from the disc I was given after the dyno run is what drives the flash chart I made.

-Adam Chant
2007 Saturn SKY - Supercharged
1997 Saturn SC2 - Stock Rebuild

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SCDYNE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SCDYNE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-02-2003, 08:57 PM   #4
SLeepr
Master Member

I'll check it out. I'll probably put a few more miles on this rebuild before I get too ansy for the SC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SLeepr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2003, 12:59 PM   #5
SL2PIMP
SL2PIMP is on a distinguished road

What psi pulley were you running when you got these results?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2PIMP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2PIMP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2003, 01:05 PM   #6
SLeepr
Master Member

Not a bad kick in the butt. It's interesting to see the peak hp at redline.

I'll peruse your site a little more

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2003, 01:20 PM   #7
SLeepr
Master Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SL2PIMP
What psi pulley were you running when you got these results?
It looks like 4.5psi. Adam, what bolt ons were on your car, out of curiousity?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2003, 01:26 PM   #8
SCDYNE

2007 SKY
1997 SC2

My description online makes it look like I was running the 6 psi pulley, but I was running the 4.5 psi pulley non-intercooled. (It actually makes 6 psi of boost at 6500 RPM)

Since then others have dyno tested kits I have sold and put 167 HP to the ground.

If you follow the red line on the dyno that starts at the bottom you can see how Power is generated. It even starts as low as 2750 or when the pull started, jumps up at 4500 and begins the parabolic increase in power that's unique to this Supercharger.

With the 6 psi pulley the curve just begins a little lower in the RPM's and runs up to redline. Because of how the Supercharger makes power the limiting factor is always redline (oh and the mechanical limits of the motor)

-Adam Chant

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SCDYNE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2003, 01:46 PM   #9
SCDYNE

2007 SKY
1997 SC2

The base run was made just after the power run.
I pulled the serp belt, opened up the intake and made the run.
Because the PCM was not reset it ran real rich on the top (more than normal) so HP and TQ was a little down, but even at the normal numbers it's not much more than 5% difference.
The motor was a '95 stock ballanced with '91 header and saturn/HKS exhaust.
With the Hotshot header more power is made because it has larger primaries and a much larger collector.

-Adam Chant

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2003, 01:56 AM   #10
JDub99SL2
Advanced Member
JDub99SL2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Man, I am so interested in your kit.... I wish I had the money right now. I just got a job at a shop, so maybe things will change. I got smoked by a VW 1.8T today. One question I have about the kit, though, is how well can the 99 SL2 Automatic tran. stand up to the added power? Thanks a lot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JDub99SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JDub99SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-05-2003, 01:58 AM   #11
JDub99SL2
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

--- Just wanted to add, not to soudn desperate, it wasnt quite 'SMOKED' --- i got him off the line 2-3 cars, and he was in 3rd towards the top of my 2nd. I was surprised, actually that I kept up as much as I did. O well.... once I get this kit... oooo baby.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JDub99SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-05-2003, 12:27 PM   #12
SLeepr
Master Member

If guy really knew how to drive, he would have stomped you. Those 1.8Ts are really quick.

Generally, the auto transmissions actually handle bigger loads than the manual ones. I'm sure you'll be alright.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2003, 02:27 PM   #13
SCDYNE

2007 SKY
1997 SC2

Plus the fact that the blower makes power based on engine RPM means that it's a very nice add-on. The power will be dictated by how your transmission is tuned (performance vs. norm agression), but the auto can go to redline just a well as the manual can.

Only one person has run boost for a long time on a Saturn, but it seemed like it responded well.
I have tested my set-up on autos and it works great.

-Adam Chant

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2003, 07:01 PM   #14
JDub99SL2
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

Re: the 1.8T... Personally, I think the motor on that thing is an underdeveloped POS. It's a 1.8L with a turbo and only makes 26 more horses than the N/A 1.9L Saturn. Rather pathetic, isn't it? Anyway, yeah, it was some dumbass ricer who would race anything from a mom in a MBZ to a CEO in a Z06.... doesn't bug me one bit. Hehe. I've had my share of wins, though. :-)

Thanks for the info Scdyne.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-06-2003, 01:40 AM   #15
SLeepr
Master Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JDub99SL2
Re: the 1.8T... Personally, I think the motor on that thing is an underdeveloped POS. It's a 1.8L with a turbo and only makes 26 more horses than the N/A 1.9L Saturn. Rather pathetic, isn't it? Anyway, yeah, it was some dumbass ricer who would race anything from a mom in a MBZ to a CEO in a Z06.... doesn't bug me one bit. Hehe. I've had my share of wins, though. :-)

Thanks for the info Scdyne.
I'm not sure which N/A 1.9L Saturn you're referring to. But, the GTI 1.8T comes with 180HP. That's a little more than a Saturn DOHC with 124hp. While maybe not the most efficient turbo motor on the planet, I think it's 3k weight hurts it more than anything. My car contends pretty well with the 1.8T. But, it took quite a bit to get it there (still N/A).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-30-2003, 01:33 AM   #16
97SCa-spec
97SCa-spec is on a distinguished road

Alot of cars that are released these days , particularily the forced induction type are subject to heavy C.A.R.B. and Smog testing and such , alot of these cars we see today are capable of way more power than they come from the factory with (hence after-market and especially manufacturer supported aftermarket) but car companies don't like added taxes and such driving up the prices of their vehicles , so to qualify their cars as L.E.V. (low emissions vehicles) and U.L.E.V. (ultra low emissions vehicles) they induce more "removable" restrictions and don't pour the full amount of performance into their factory vehicles . But literally you can have parts added by the DEALER but in most cases cannot order a car pre modded from the FACTORY . For example the Dodge neon SRT-4 , It qualifies as a L.E.V. ,but you get the dealer to install a Mopar stage one upgrade kit and I can guarantee it wouldn't pass as a L.E.V. .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97SCa-spec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97SCa-spec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-30-2003, 08:54 AM   #17
bennett9000
bennett9000 has a spectacular aura aboutbennett9000 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by SLeepr
I'm not sure which N/A 1.9L Saturn you're referring to. But, the GTI 1.8T comes with 180HP. That's a little more than a Saturn DOHC with 124hp.
Right, the NEWER ones have 180hp. The older ones from the mid-to-late 90's only put down roughly 159 or so. The 180 is a recent development.

Yeah, any car that can put down 100 horses per liter is okay in my book.

-Andy

01 SL1 (2011-2014) 99 SW2 (2002-2009) 95 SL2 (1997-2002)
00 ROUSH Cougar V6 03 SVT Focus #2370 08 Mustang Bullitt #5389 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bennett9000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bennett9000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-31-2003, 10:11 PM   #18
mkosem
Advanced Member
mkosem is on a distinguished road

heh, the S2000 puts down 120hp/L N/A

--Matt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkosem's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkosem reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2003, 10:54 AM   #19
SL2Dreams
SL2Dreams is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
1995 SW2

Sorry to dig this thread up again, but would SCDYNE's kit make my car not pass emissions. Would I need to take the kit off before I took it in for the tests

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2Dreams's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2Dreams reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2003, 01:25 AM   #20
SCDYNE

2007 SKY
1997 SC2

I don't know what the laws are in PA, but here in CA you have to be issued a Executive Order number by the state of California Air Resources Board to run components that change or in any way modify the way the emmissions. (that's a general definition only)

Would it pass an emmissions test? YES. It's been tested for CARB, but I don't have the $$ to pay for the inspector to test it and issue the EO#.

Problem is that since there is no issued EO# it would fail a test based on a visual inspeation, but if physically tested it would pass as long as the rest of your car was operating normally.

-Adam Chant

REWARD EXCELLENCE!