SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2016, 07:16 AM   #1
Packard
Packard is a jewel in the roughPackard is a jewel in the roughPackard is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL1
Default Timing chain when to and when not to move crank ?

Do you start with crank and cam assembled and turn crank to 12 oclock then start the procedure of dissassembly?
This youtube vid shows everything close to 12 apart here . and start with crank turn to 3 oclock then make small adjustments with cam to get it 12oclock and put the 3/16 drill bit in and turn crank once cam is adjusted . So dont u dissemble with crank at 12 then once everything is off u move the crank I was told to turn the crank with parts on this site.

How many degrees can i turn my cam after i have verified 90 degree crank placement?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Packard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Packard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2016, 07:24 AM   #2
sdowney717
Advanced Member
sdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Timing chain when to and when not to move crank ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard View Post
Do you start with crank and cam assembled and turn crank to 12 oclock then start the procedure of dissassembly?
This youtube vid shows everything close to 12 apart here . and start with crank turn to 3 oclock then make small adjustments with cam to get it 12oclock and put the 3/16 drill bit in and turn crank once cam is adjusted . So dont u dissemble with crank at 12 then once everything is off u move the crank I was told to turn the crank with parts on this site.

How many degrees can i turn my cam after i have verified 90 degree crank placement?
If you have not taken it apart, I would just line it up at 12 noon, the key way points straight up on the crank. And the cam sprocket holes lining up with the holes in in the head. Cam sprocket slots next to central bolt hole will be pointing up. Then put in the drill or easier to use an allen wrench since it angles and will clear the frame. This way you wont be moving anything when you take off the old chain and put on the new chain.

The cams might want to spring back because of an opening valve, so there is in the middle of the cam those flats you put an adjustable wrench on it to turn it. So line cam up and put new sprocket on and secure with the drill or allen wrench in the sprocket hole.

The number 1 piston, one closest to fanbelts will be at TDC if you have the crank in right position.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sdowney717's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sdowney717 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

^^^Bad advice.
This is exactly how to INSTALL the timing chain and guides, http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...ochtchain.html

Before removing turn crank to 3:00 position after removing crank pulley bolt. Leave it at 3:00 position until ready to replace chain etc and verify the movable guide is free swinging BEFORE installing the new chain.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:11 PM   #4
sdowney717
Advanced Member
sdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of light

Well, you better follow his advice since you're asking lots of questions about this, I can tell you do not have much experience changing such a chain.
What I could get away with several decades of engine experience, and I absolutely do have lots of time wrenching, and common sense, and at a chevy dealer, one of my first jobs, others probably will bend all their valves!
I am not kidding either, people just do dumb stuff. Like put it together, and crank it with the starter, not verifying manually the thing is actually lined up correctly. I give up, we have had enough. Remember to always color in between the lines.

turning to 3 o'clock, obviously lowers all the pistons enough away from the valves, you can turn the cam into the correct position with absolute safety. But you know, if the old chain is still on and it is already lined up, then it does not matter does it.

Last edited by sdowney717; 02-02-2016 at 09:19 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sdowney717's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sdowney717 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:05 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

After pulling the cam sprocket the cam tends to roll under valve spring pressure to a neutral position, this bends at least 1 valve if at TDC. Shortcuts are for very experienced people only ...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:45 AM   #6
Brandonrr
Brandonrr is just really niceBrandonrr is just really niceBrandonrr is just really niceBrandonrr is just really niceBrandonrr is just really nice

1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
After pulling the cam sprocket the cam tends to roll under valve spring pressure to a neutral position, this bends at least 1 valve if at TDC. Shortcuts are for very experienced people only ...
Very well said. I may be doing the timing chain on my '97 soon and i will keep this in mind. I have timing chain chatter, but am first trying to remedy with clean, synthetic oil. I'm hoping it's a stuck guide.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brandonrr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brandonrr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Brandonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #7
Packard
Packard is a jewel in the roughPackard is a jewel in the roughPackard is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL1

Im asking if i leave all my old chain on and do the 3 oclock which turns both crank and cam .Then remove is that safe cause pistons will all be down right?
Then I remove chains and old stuff so i can start install my new cam crank and turn it now to 12 Is this going to be ok to do this way? How many degrees can i turn my cam after the crank is at 3 oclock . Would you say i can turn my cam clockwise like it says in directions ?How many degrees can the cam turn clockwise?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Packard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Packard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #8
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

With the crank 90 degress off TDC, that "3:00 position", you can spin either cam around endlessly, either direction, with no chance of hurting the valves.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:06 PM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

You've started five* threads about your timing chain.

Links have been added to at least one of those threads, that direct you to 'how to' threads/PDFs

A single thread is much more efficient

If you can't find a thread you started, just go to Search in the upper right hand corner, click on Advanced search, enter your user name, and search for "threads started by"

*edit: five threads this month, seven threads altogether
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (87.4 KB, 7 views)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

Last edited by alordofchaos; 02-04-2016 at 03:13 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote