SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2015, 04:40 AM   #1
mrhappypantz
mrhappypantz is on a distinguished road

Default 2002 saturn l300 3.0 rad drain exact location or pic of the location??

hi, i cant seem to find the rad petcok on radiator, im sure its on bottom but i cant seem to find it and if i did how do i access it to remove? also, to check the trans fluid in this car without dipstick i know theres a plug i have to remove etc and see if it drains out, but they say (make sure car level? in my mind the car as it sits really isnt level is it? seems the front would be lower anyway with motor etc? without exact science how could i check it at home and at least have a good idea if it may be low etc? thanks in advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrhappypantz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrhappypantz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrhappypantz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2015, 07:20 AM   #2
thepat
thepat has a spectacular aura aboutthepat has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2002 saturn l300 3.0 rad drain exact location or pic of the location??

See attached picture for your radiator questions. The part I circled in red is the the drain screw. The item in blue is the drain. Note that both are on the passenger side. The drain faces the rear of the car. There is a splash shield attached to the front subframe which you should remove if you are not going to attach a rubber line to the drain. Otherwise, the coolant will drain onto the plash shield and get everywhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22731134_Primary.jpg (103.0 KB, 11 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thepat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thepat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:11 AM   #3
mrhappypantz
mrhappypantz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2002 saturn l300 3.0 rad drain exact location or pic of the location??

Thank u very much, does the screw just loosen up? I don't need to it out completely? Exactly how does it loosen? Looks like storage looking petcock. Does this car have a bleeder anywhere? Just curious going to drain coolant and refill and I'm sure there will be air introduced?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrhappypantz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrhappypantz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrhappypantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 01:35 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhappypantz View Post
does the screw just loosen up? I don't need to it out completely?
The drain cock is not removed. As you loosen it the antifreeze will begin to drain more and more swiftly.
Quote:
Exactly how does it loosen?
You may need to use pliers to break it loose initially, but be careful as the piece is plastic. Once the drain cock is loose you should be able do it all by hand. There is a nipple (pointing down or sideways I cannot recall) through which the antifreeze will drain. I suggest that you find a piece of tubing to attach to it - at least a foot in length, more is probably better and it's not expensive - so that the cooling system will drain easily into a pan and not spread itself through the front of the sub-frame and make a larger mess. A 3/8" i.d. hose should be adequate.

Quote:
Looks like storage looking petcock. Does this car have a bleeder anywhere?
None that I know of. I found that the recommendation to squeeze the upper radiator hose several times after the initial refill, but prior to running the engine, was useful.

Quote:
Just curious going to drain coolant and refill and I'm sure there will be air introduced?
Yes, air is always introduced into the system following a cooling system flush/drain. It takes several minutes of running the engine at operating temperature to bleed air from it. Be patient. Watch for air bubbles appearing in the antifreeze tank. When you no longer see any and the antifreeze level is correct then the bleeding is complete. As a follow-up, check the antifreeze level the next morning. If required, add whatever amount may be needed and the job is done completely.

Quote:
also, to check the trans fluid in this car without dipstick i know theres a plug i have to remove etc and see if it drains out, but they say (make sure car level? in my mind the car as it sits really isnt level is it? seems the front would be lower anyway with motor etc? without exact science how could i check it at home and at least have a good idea if it may be low etc? thanks in advance
Take a look at the link below. It should answer your questions. The hex on the inspection plug is 11 mm. Use a quarter drive ratchet, short extension, and socket for removal. The reason for making sure that the car is level is because the car must be elevated to access the inspection plug.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...smission+drain

326,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:37 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I've found that in two coolant replacement procedures, draining only allowed a little more than a gallon. My system would only take a little more than a gallon of water to top off for a second flush as the first flush still contained Dexcool (now diluted), requiring a second flush to rid the system of old coolant. Once drained of flush water, a full gallon of Dexcool filled the system with very little make up water needed. Apparently the engine and heater holds onto coolant. L300's take just under two gallons of coolant so a full gallon of 100% antifreeze of choice should fill a system to capacity. Just let the engine run a few minutes with the coolant cap off as the system purges air from itself automatically - you'll see bubbling in the coolant container as the level drops when air is purged. Top off with pain water and cap the system, check level the next day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote