SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
03232001 is on a distinguished road

Default crank position for timing without removing the timing cover

I was looking to check timing on my 1995 s-series Saturn. I pulled the valve cover and the cam sprockets are aligned still.

Can anyone tell me the position of the crank pulley(HB) for timing.

I was trying not to pull the timing cover off.

I cant find it in the manual only for the sprocket with cover removed.

Thanks all

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 03232001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 03232001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
03232001 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: crank position for timing without removing the timing cover

Search is your friend. Follow the instructions to line up the mark and rim notch. The intake and exhaust will be slightly retarded if the chain and guides are well worn.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...37&postcount=2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:36 AM   #3

Thank you OldNuc for the link. I actually did try searching first but I guess I wasn't using the right combination of search words cause I couldn't find anything near what I was needing to know.

You mention the mark on the crank sprocket, but that's only visible with the cover removed right??

I was hoping to know the orientation of the crank pulley to the crank sprocket to use that as my reference mark so I didn't have to pull the cover.

Pulling the cover for the valves is easy I was hoping not to have to pull the timing cover though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 03232001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2015, 08:40 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

NO, it is external, there is a raised bar on the cover at 1200 and a cut in the pulley rim face at the belt, also external.

If you are buying into the hillbilly hype that the engine has jumped time that is near mechanically impossible on the 98 and older DOHC. Guide failure will however get you seriously retarded on the intake and exhaust. Running is impacted at about 1 roller worth of retard so any real problem is obvious.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2015, 09:09 AM   #5

Once again I thank you OldNuc. I just needed the second opinion to re-inforce what I was already thinking.

When I pulled that valve cover and saw how tight that chain and cam sprockets were my initial thought was no way this could have jumped. Then when I looked at a video of how the guides and tensioner are installed I see room for jumping is nearly impossible.

I'm on my way out now to pull off the passenger side tire and check the lower marks. but in your opinion can wear or slop in the chain be so bad as to not allow it to start??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-03-2015, 09:41 AM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Not likely. Might as well check at this point and then go read your other thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #7
J N Winkler
Advanced Member
J N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2

This is a side question: if the crank pulley has to be removed as part of other servicing (e.g. timing chain replacement), is there something that ensures the timing marks end up in the correct places when the pulley is reinstalled and the bolt is re-torqued?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to J N Winkler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help J N Winkler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
J N Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

There is a shaft-key between the pulley and crank, the pulley will only go on in the correct position (unless you don't put in the key!).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:15 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by J N Winkler View Post
This is a side question: if the crank pulley has to be removed as part of other servicing (e.g. timing chain replacement), is there something that ensures the timing marks end up in the correct places when the pulley is reinstalled and the bolt is re-torqued?
The timing system runs at 1/2 engine RPM and the crank key is up with pistons #1 and #4 full up. This along with the locating pins on the cams insures that everything is in the correct TDC position with #1 on TDC. This assumes that the chain is installed correctly and this is not always the case and I have seen lower sprockets with the keywqy broached about 5 degrees off from TDC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-03-2015, 06:59 PM   #10

Thanks to all I went over and double checked everything and timing was still on point. You were correct OldNuc the cams were a smidgen off due to chain wear but nothing that should not allow this motor to fire.

Once I hit the crank pulley with some brake cleaner I was able to see the mark on the timing cover and the one on the pulley and line them up easily.

I will add to my other post my findings they are not good

REWARD EXCELLENCE!