SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2015, 06:52 PM   #1
part timer
part timer is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2
Default valve body 2001 SW2

I had some of the usual symptoms and decided to replace valve body first, then shaft nuts. Purchased rebuilt body from KenPartin. Swapped it out today, and test drove for relearn experience. Seemed to be going OK, got the car slowly up to 50, then 55, then got off hwy to a slower road and lost my gears. At a stop, put in D, and no engagement. Give some gas, and let off and get first. I think. Car moves, then revs, get off gas, moves again and so on. The gist of it is that I seem to have first gear, or maybe second, with a lot of neutral mixed in. Definitely no high gear. Reverse is gone too. I think that I must have left something undone, but the stuff involved is so basic. Just one moving part, the manual rod that engages the valve on the firewall end. I did that. If it fell out, would that explain these symptoms? Of course I will pull it apart tomorrow and see for myself.

2001 SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to part timer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help part timer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
part timer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2015, 08:32 PM   #2
part timer

2001 SW2
Default Re: valve body 2001 SW2

update, since I cannot figure out how to edit the original post
Drove the car for a short trip, reverse is missing. It will engage-bump-disengage when I put shifter in R and play with the throttle. A couple of these will allow me to back out of angle parking. It does not stay in reverse. Also, with steady throttle it seems to shift up through first to second steady and smooth on dense residential street.

2001 SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help part timer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2015, 08:47 AM   #3
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

What exactly were your original "usual" symptoms that prompted the VB R&R?
How exactly was/is Reverse behaving before and after?
Did you replace the Input Shaft Nut when you did the VB?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:12 AM   #4
part timer

2001 SW2

I had the reverse slam. A delay before engagement, then a moderate slam. Also a pause before drive engaged. Sometimes the transmission would seek at higher speeds, switching gears, sometimes with a slight bang. Downshift would slam. Idle got weird too. In drive with foot on brake it would idle too high. In neutral too.

I just put the original valve body back in the car. Everything appeared to be in order. I checked the manual valve setup and it was all as it should be. No blown fuses. Second procedure was much quicker! I will test drive soon, I pulled the fuses and got a coffee.

I have the parts for shaft nut procedure. I do not have a method for holding the shaft while torquing. There are many suggestions and many warnings. Does the chain technique work?

2001 SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2015, 10:38 AM   #5
part timer

2001 SW2

I drove the car a little. I was able to do 2 runs from 0-45 with gentle acceleration. 1st to 2cd seemed normal, 2cd to 3rd slipped then engaged. Reverse seems to work fine with no slam. This is very strange. I put the original valve body back on. Now I am wondering if the rebuilt body is defective. I will test drive the car more later on, no time right now. I may have to put the rebuild back in to confirm that it is not good.

2001 SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2015, 10:43 AM   #6
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Ken's VBs are usually good. You might try getting him on the phone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

Don't fret too much about holding that drum to tighten the ISN, it is a trivial task even with common tools. So trivial that I don't even remember how I did it, it was just part of the job. Scraping the gasket on the trans... is kind of a chore, I do remember that!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:50 PM   #8
part timer

2001 SW2

double checking...OK

I tested the rebuilt body following this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tDm...7&feature=plcp

seems good:
3rd=5.3
4th=5.3
TCC=5.4
LINE=5.8
2cd=5.5

2001 SW2

Last edited by part timer; 04-26-2015 at 03:00 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2015, 04:23 PM   #9
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by part timer View Post

seems good:
3rd=5.3
4th=5.3
TCC=5.4
LINE=5.8
2cd=5.5
Yeah - those readings seem OK. They don't tell the whole story though. The resistance can be fine, but the mechanical operation can be lacking. I believe Reverse Slams are caused by the Servo Apply Valve which is not updated by the rebuilders and I'm not sure how well they even test them. But since you are getting some good Reverse operation that part must be OK and I would hold off on the Nut since that usually causes slipping in Reverse or No Reverse when it gets loose. Also a P0732 code. I wonder if your 'relearn' is just taking a while. Although I just replaced my LP Solenoid and once around the block with a half dozen stop signs, and it's shifting like a dream again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-27-2015, 07:00 PM   #10
part timer

2001 SW2

It seems the rebuilt valve body is not working for me. I re-installed it today, and had a repeat of my first experience. When test driving, it seemed OK at first. But after 5-10 miles, the transmission stops working properly. Reverse is gone, and no high gear, and delay engaging after being stopped. Not sure if it's stuck in first or second, but basically it doesn't work. My guess is that this is heat-related, it seems like something in the valve body stops working properly once the transmission gets hot. Any ideas on which component might cause this?
The original valve body works fine in comparison. I think this is evidence that the problem lies with the valve body.
So, back it goes.

The good news is that I am getting faster at the swap procedure.

2001 SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #11
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by part timer View Post
It seems the rebuilt valve body is not working for me. I re-installed it today, and had a repeat of my first experience. When test driving, it seemed OK at first. But after 5-10 miles, the transmission stops working properly. Reverse is gone, and no high gear, and delay engaging after being stopped. Not sure if it's stuck in first or second, but basically it doesn't work. My guess is that this is heat-related, it seems like something in the valve body stops working properly once the transmission gets hot. Any ideas on which component might cause this?
This is disappointing - most folks have good luck with Ken's rebuilds. Since none of the rebuilders do anything with the Servo Apply Valve, this is my theory why Reverse goes south as the tranny warms up and the ATF thins . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=24

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-28-2015, 05:40 AM   #12
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Does the valve body have the Sonnax updates applied? Or is the valvebody just tested without any mods done? I always pay extra for the update because the units are defective from Saturn years ago. There should have been a total recall for these valve bodies from Saturn years ago so they could install revised ones with an updated boost valve and pressure regulator so these problems never occurred.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:12 AM   #13
Chazberry
Master Member

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL19302 View Post
There should have been a total recall for these valve bodies from Saturn years ago so they could install revised ones with an updated boost valve and pressure regulator so these problems never occurred.
I'm thinking Sonnax should come up with an upgrade for the Servo Apply Valve.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!