SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 02-24-2015, 07:39 PM   #1
ryan_ion
ryan_ion has a spectacular aura aboutryan_ion has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default P0315 and CHNG OIL

I started my car up today, and I was greeted with a change oil message (oil was changed about 2,000 miles ago and light was reset) and the engine light. I immediately reset the oil life monitor and restarted the engine, and the CHNG OIL came up again as did the the engine light.

I read the Engine Code - and it comes up as P0315 which is for the crankshaft position sensor.

I tried to find the sensor, but it looks like it is behind the starter and I really do not feel like taking it apart in this weather. I also fear it is something else\ more than the sensor because of the CHG OIL which comes on upon starting.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

Ryan

2007 Ion 2.2- 95,000 Miles.
ryan_ion is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2015, 12:14 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: P0315 and CHNG OIL

From the owner's manual;
1. Press and release the trip/reset button until the OIL LIFE message is displayed.
2. Then press and hold the trip/reset button until a chime sounds five times, and RESET is displayed in the message center. When the system is reset, the odometer will again be displayed in the message center.
3. Turn the ignition key to LOCK.

If the CHG OIL message comes back on when you start your vehicle, the engine oil life system has not reset. Repeat the procedure.

Battery/cables/connections?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf dtc-code-p0315.pdf (19.4 KB, 17 views)
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:21 AM   #3
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I'm guessing you didn't actually reset the olm
2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:38 PM   #4
ryan_ion

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Thanks for the responses, you are correct I guess I did not hold it down long enough to reset. The cng oil did reset when I tried this morning.

I brought my car in for an oil change WITH the CNG OIL ON 1700 miles ago; and when I picked up my car the message was cleared, so the shop must have reset the OLM.

Usually CNG Oil does not come on for 8,000-10,000 miles (I live in a rural area and drive mostly highway), and the fact that the engine light came on at the same time seems like more than a coincidence. Maybe a connector got corroded which triggered both to happen at the same time?

I am taking it into the dealership since it seems after replacing the sensor the engine might not even start without a re-learn process done with a GM tech II tool. Engine is still running smooth, so I am hoping it is the sensor or something minor.

I brought my car into the same dealer with a check engine a few years ago, they found a broken connector and replaced it for $60 including labor, diagnostic, etc so I am hoping they are equally as fair this time.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 02-26-2015, 05:24 PM   #5
ryan_ion

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I just got it back from the dealer, $40 bill with a coupon I had. They did a relearn on the crankshaft position sensor and they said everything is checking out just fine. They also said they had never seen this issue before on an ecotec.

The tech said to watch it and see if the code comes on again, and that with the combination of the cng oil coming up premature it could be a sign that the ECM is starting to act up.

Ryan