SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2001, 12:49 PM   #1
ClapDaddy
Advanced Member
ClapDaddy will become famous soon enough

Default OFF Topic - Daughter 1 Deer 0

Been VERY BUSY getting my cabinet approved for my year as President of our Local Saturn CarClub.

BUT Thursday night (Friday morning 2:00 a.m.), while I was sleeping, I received a frantic call from my 20 year old daughter. ALL I could hear was screaming, crying and "I killed him". Apparently, my heart is in decent shape or I would have had a heart-attack.

I tried everything to get her to calm down and finally called her a NAME that I don't normally use in ANY conversation. She stopped and I was able too find out that she was NOT hurt and then I was able to get the information of what happened. During this conversation, in my mind, was was again my little daughter learning to walk and talk. I knwo this sounds crazy but I felt needed by her.

She was driving home on a two lane road about 40 mph, when a Buck jumped in front of her car. She tried to stop but it happened so fast that she only had time to put her foot on the brakes. The deer hit low and its head instead of coming UP and hitting the windshield, wrapped around and hit the left front fender. She was by herself and no one else was around. I had her call 911 from her Cell-phone and then had her call me back to get directions to her location. She must have sounded like she was hurt as they not only sent out the Police, they also sent out an ambulance.

I arrived on the scene aobut 20 minutes after her call and the Police officer was taking her information. Her Sentra had front damage but did not look to bad. The car was drivable, also. The officer was VERY nice and said that 4 other people had hit deer in the same area that night. My daughter did not get a ticket and seemed to calm down quite a bit after I hugged her and told her to NOT worry. She kept saying, "I killed Bambi".

As for the deer, it was dead and was about 50 yards behind where she was. So she was not looking at it. The officer had removed some of the deer from her grill and threw it away. IMO, this also helped her to relax.

The officer asked if I wanted the deer and I told him no. I did ask what I was suppose to do about the deer and he said he would take care of it. I was going to park my daughter's car and get it in the morning but she wanted to follow me home and we drove aboout 30 mph all the wya home with me leading her.

Needless to say, neither of us slept much the rest of the night.

Good news is that our insurance company "progressive" came out the next day, about 1 hour after I called them and inspected the car. The Auto repair shops that they have on their recommended list, included the 2 or the 3 places that the Saturn franchise group also owns. I called the owner and he called back as to which shop to take it to. The think it will be ready in a week or so.

I understand NOW why parenting continues throughout one's life. Even after the child grows up, they are still YOUR child.

Al

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ClapDaddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ClapDaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2001, 01:04 PM   #2
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

Al

I am very glad that your daughter is OK (though shook up, naturally)!

I have had good experience with those deer warning devices on my car after a very close call on the PA Turnpike. No guarantee, but I think they have saved me a couple of more close calls (the deer freeze and look right at my car). They are only $5.95 at auto parts stores. Cheap insurance I think.

Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2001, 04:44 PM   #3
Nuke-Em
Nuke-Em is on a distinguished road

When my dad was in Germany before I was born, he smacked a deer with his Fiat. No damage to the car, except the chrome ring around the headlight popped off and landed in the snow. He found it the next spring Glad to hear your daughter was alright

Matt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nuke-Em's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nuke-Em reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2001, 05:50 PM   #4
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Al,

Glad to hear that your daughter's okay! Those deer can be dangerous...it was fortunate that the deer hit low and didn't get the windshield! Sometimes there's nothing you can do...it's better to hit the deer than to swerve trying to avoid it. A guy I work with totalled his car on the way to work when he tried to avoid a deer and instead hit a tree!

Jim,

I did put those deer warning devices on my car a few months ago and I think they do help. I don't think they'll work 100% of the time, but hey, if they help at all, it's worth the few bucks!

On another topic...looks like Baltimore just scored! I hope this is a better game than that last one! Man, that was ugly! I didn't know that one of the Giants players was married to Angie Harmon. Lucky #######!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2001, 09:25 PM   #5
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Al:
I am happy to hear your daughter is well. As far as killing Bambi....I hope your daughter comes to the eventual understanding that over population of the deer herd and sprawling development are often the real cause of the problem. She and the deer just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. A few feet difference and "Bambi" might have killed her.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2001, 09:53 PM   #6
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

>>I hope this is a better game than that last one! Man, that was ugly!

NY 41 - MN Vikings 0

I think they ought to call that one "The Big Choke".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2001, 08:39 AM   #7
ClapDaddy
Advanced Member

Jim,

Thanks!

After talking to some other folks, I found that the section where my daughter was, is a HIGH risk area for deer.

I am going to try and find the deer warning device today. Is there a particular place that would sell them?

Al

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ClapDaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2001, 08:42 AM   #8
ClapDaddy
Advanced Member

Matt,

Thanks for the information!

When I first got to ths site, my ONLY concern was that my daughter was OK. ANY product/tool can be replaced, but I think they broke the "mold" when they made my daughter!!!! (:]

Al

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2001, 08:51 AM   #9
ClapDaddy
Advanced Member

VTHOKIE97SL2,

Yes you are right. I have talked to several people who say that a dear, especially a Buck will try to strike HIGH on the object that it comes into contact with. That is why we usually hear about the deer through the windshield. I don't know for sure if this is true but it does explain comments and stories about deer hits.

REAL good point about the swerving, I have heard too about people swerving and then running into another object sometimes another car/vehicle. I guess the good thing is that it happened sooo fast, she did not have time to do ANYTHING.

NOW after the fact on a humorous note, the officer asked if we wanted the deer. What went through MY "weird" mind was the movie "Tommy Boy" when they loaded the deer they thought was DEAD, only for it to wake up and tear up the car. I was surprised and glad when the officer said that HE would take care of the deer and to not worry about it.

Al

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2001, 09:01 AM   #10
ClapDaddy
Advanced Member

John,

Thanks! My daughter is "strong" in many ways, so I don't think she will worry to much. Though she did have a couple of nights where she has not slept too well.

From what I have found since the accident, we have MANY deer in the area. To be honest, I have not seen to many deer, in the 11+ years we have lived in this area.

She knows that the opposite could have occurred. She was talking about trading her Sentra for a Prelude and now believes that the Sentra saved her life. At the moment, I am not trying to change her mind. The reason why she was thinking about a Prelude, was that a couple of her friends have one and she likes them.

We'll see how she feels after she gets her car back.

Al

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2001, 11:06 AM   #11
HumpMan
HumpMan will become famous soon enough

Mr. President Al,

Glad to hear that your daughter is OK and that things will recover. I certainly know how dangerous animals on the road can be! I have known many people in my area that have hit deer. Some have hit two or three. Once a former co-worker hit one that wound up being the "best one" (antler points) in her neck of the woods. The hunters of the area used rifles and shotguns-- she used a Mazda B2300 pickup!

I've read articles that have argued that the deer whistles don't work, but I don't know for sure. I don't think it could hurt.

Just north of my town, they are trying a new way to try and keep deer from crossing the road when traffic is going through at night. They set up a whole "forest" of plastic poles with light reflectors on them, on both sides of the road and also in the median. The theory is that headlights hit all the reflectors and produce an almost strobe effect in the surrounding woods, which better warns the deer away. They set them up in a small stretch of road that had frequent deer incidents.

the HumpMan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HumpMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HumpMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2001, 11:32 AM   #12
wei_
wei_ is on a distinguished road

Al,
I'm glad your daughter is safe.

You can find the deer warning devices in any Walmart or auto parts store.

Happy inauguration.
- Wei

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wei_'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wei_ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2001, 12:48 PM   #13
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Maybe they should sell those devices for aircraft!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2001/0115/1016908.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2001, 08:36 PM   #14
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

<blockquote><hr><font size="1">Original Post:</font><!--1-->
Jim,

Thanks!

After talking to some other folks, I found that the section where my daughter was, is a HIGH risk area for deer.

I am going to try and find the deer warning device today. Is there a particular place that would sell them?

Al<hr></blockquote>

Al

I buy them at Pep Boys (I have given away about a dozen pair). If your area (like most of the Northern USA) is a high risk dear area you probably won't have any trouble finding them. I have the package out in my garage and can get you the name of the company if you need it. I believe they were originally developed by the Michigan State Police because they were losing officers on patrol to crashes with deer. At $5.95 I consider them a real bargain. Supposedly they will keep pets and other livestock from getting in your way, also. They basically work like those dog whistles that humans can't hear, except the pair of different ones make some sort of noise together that really stops the animals in their tracks. Deer are moving around a lot more this time of year because I believe it is mating season, so it probably will NOT work 100%, but I have witnessed deer at the side of the road turn and look straight at my car.

Let me know if you have trouble finding them!

Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2001, 10:44 PM   #15
ClapDaddy
Advanced Member

Humpman,

Thanks!

I will pass your thoughts to the first Lady &lt;vbg&gt;.

I am going to try the whistle as it is not expensive and if it does stop ONE encounter, then it will be worth it.

I have a brother who has been Deer Hunting in Michigan for almost 20 years and NEVER got a Deer. If I would have been thinking clearly, I would have picked the deer up and taken it to him.

It is sort of funny as he has ALL kinds of equipment/gadgets for Deer Hunting and has only ever gotten one shot off. BUT I don't argue with him as he works for the Post Office!!!!!

BTW, did you ever find the button info??

TTYL,
Al

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2001, 10:49 PM   #16
ClapDaddy
Advanced Member

Wei,

Thanks for the information!

I will pick one up before she gets her car back.

Good thing was that we did not have ANY protests during my moving in to the White House (:]

I was pleased with the number of NEW faces that showed up and we had one of the largest crowds for a meeting at this particular Retailer in the over 5 years we have been a CarClub.

Hope they heard something from our Board that will keep them coming back for more. WE have a NEAT agenda and I hope it will draw more people, and we also add more members.

President Al

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2001, 10:52 PM   #17
ClapDaddy
Advanced Member

Jim,

Again Thanks!

I will be checking for them this weekend and if I have any problem, I will let you know. From the sound of it, I should be able to find them very easily.

Al

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2001, 11:01 AM   #18
HumpMan
HumpMan will become famous soon enough

Sorry if this is OT, but I'm worried about a communications problem here...

Al,

I e-mailed you a preliminary design for your buttons? Did you not get it?
If not, send me your e-mail address again and I'll resend it...

the HumpMan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HumpMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HumpMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2001, 04:01 PM   #19
film52
film52 is on a distinguished road

SL2-2NV

Glad to hear you daughter is ok. I have a teen-age daughter and know what you mean when you say you felt needed by her. I also never see my daughter as her age, I still see her as a small child, makes her crazy, but I guess Iíll always feel that way. It still seems like it was just two weeks ago when we brought her home from the hospital.

Incidentally yesterday in metro Atlanta a car hit a doe and threw it up and back through the windshield of a school bus. The deer landed in the bus driverís lap. The driverís 10-year-old daughter had to direct the driver where to steer since the driver couldnít see due to glass in her eyes

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to film52's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help film52 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread