SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Suggestions on what to do next for my Saturn

it has about 203k miles. 98 sl2 manual. runs pretty well. I got it at 166k miles in april of 2012.

So far I've done the following:

5th gear swap, new struts, exhaust, changed both o2 sensors, gen 1 valve cover, new fuel filter, new brakes/rotors, hid the antenna, tinted the windows, new michelin tires and wheels, put in a sri, new ects, new soldered on ects connector, thermostat, waterpump, transmission mount, magnacor wires, put in some cheap speakers that came highly recommended on here

I'm running out of things I can think to do. i don't know why but my temp doesn't always read correctly, even with changing the ects stuff. sometimes its at 7/16, sometimes its maybe only a few millimeters above 1/4(needle not touching the line, but maybe at 5/16)- would like it to consistently read 7/16 but i don't know what else to try.

i work at a hotel and a guest there told me i should bore out my intake manifold, said you'd be surprised how much hp you can increase. said he has diamond tipped tools to do it.

overall the paint is good, but there are a few really bad scratches or areas where several scratches are- i heard a "good" paint job is expensive- i wonder if i could get the particular panels done, but then the paint might look too much better than the rest of the car

Thought about a new headunit for my radio. i have a casette player so I bought one of those tapes that has an aux cable at the end of it to connect to my cell phone.

thought about OEM car mats too

perhaps you all have some other suggestions or would do one thing before the other?

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2
Default Re: Suggestions on what to do next for my Saturn

Great job on keeping it in top form!

Are you using any oil? How about a MMO piston soak?

I would have a hard time finding something else to spend money on, but i have too many other hobbies. As soon as I free up capital, I buy something for either my cobra, or my RC airplanes.

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
jhonky

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle View Post
Great job on keeping it in top form!

Are you using any oil? How about a MMO piston soak?

I would have a hard time finding something else to spend money on, but i have too many other hobbies. As soon as I free up capital, I buy something for either my cobra, or my RC airplanes.
Thanks! Not using much oil. usually use M1-EP, but got a deal on some valvoline full synthetic so using that now. Was about 4oz low the other day after about 4k miles. Have done an mmo soak before, did chevron through the brake booster- both about 25k miles ago. cleaned the throttle body twice(once when I got it, the other about 10k miles ago)- tested my oil a few times, blackstone suggested going 10k miles on my next change. didn't test it last time but had a leak because i tightened my filter too much, so changed that oil after about 6k miles. Gonna go about 7500 on this valvoline and test it to see how it ages.

forgot to mention in the first post, that i have the fixed oriface pcv valve, and will change the clutch in another 20k miles or so based on shawnv's recommendation.

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

You looking for more maintenance to do or fun things?

Might try changing the transmission fluid to Torque Drive or Transynd. I have a love/hate relationship with it. It didn't improve my shifting as much as I had hoped (still helped a little). This will also help prevent the lovely diff pin failure.

For fun stuff, you might consider putting on an early DOHC header, a geo storm throttle body, or other bolt-ons. If you feel more adventurous try the dual intake cam mod.

EDIT, looks like you already have most of the bolt-ons done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
Jim97sl2
Jim97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Nice job. Sounds like you have most of everything covered as of now. I would simply enjoy the car as it is for the time being. You have a good amount of work done so why not? Consider yourself lucky you don't consume oil and don't have any mechanical concerns. Bank the money you would spend on extras so you have a fund in case something unexpected comes up.

When I was younger I would mod and upgrade parts on my cars and motorcycles just for the sake of it. Now a days I have much less expendable cash so I generally only upgrade parts as needed. Whenever I change something now it is usually maintenance or repair but I try to buy the best parts I can afford at the time of service.

Maybe go for a new headunit with USB connection. You can have easily portable digital audio without bothering with discs. Or perhaps bluetooth since you use your phone as your music source.

As far as porting out the intake, it's not quite that simple. Yes you can port match the flange and bore the throttle body. This will certainly help but ideally for maximum performance you want the runners balanced if you port the runners as well and that is best done on a flow bench. Also you have to consider the runner length. The wider you make the ports, the more total volume of air you can move but the velocity will slow down and this can hurt the low end. Our manifolds were designed more for lower to mid rpm range power hence the longer smaller runners.

If you don't have one, you may want to consider a scan tool. With the work you have already done you seem to be hands on as well as a Saturn enthusiast (then again aren't we all or else we wouldn't be here?). While not as fun as modding, a scan tool is very useful for auto enthusiasts and DIY work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim97sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:02 AM   #6
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2

New Motor mount
Dogbone inserts (assuming you want it slightly stiffer, may or may not be to your liking)
Head Unit (Those tape adapters work fine, but can't deliver quality sound)
Suspension bushings (control arms, sway bars, rear stuff..)

'95 SL 5 Speed 220k - DD
'95 SW2 5 Speed 230k - Gone!
'95 Camaro Z28 - Project
'00 Tahoe Z71 - Truck stuff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wi111y's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wi111y reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #7
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Speakers. Nothing to crazy, maybe some Cern Vegas H.E.D. units. Replace the paper speakers Saturn ran in the car. A head unit later will sound even better with good fresh speakers. You stock unit will sound better with them too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #8
proveniebam
Advanced Member
proveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2

Dress up the engine interior? Clean it. Add a painted valve cover with matching wires.
Lower the suspension?
New rims?
Add a ricer exhaust?
Swap out the gauges?
Illuminate the interior in a new color?
Reupholster the seats.
Hang up a pair of fuzzy dice and add a nodding dog in the back window?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to proveniebam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help proveniebam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
proveniebam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #9
jhonky

1998 SL2

I'd like to do the geostorm mod, but finding the right throttle body seems hard. i looked on LKQ(don't know if any of you have those nearby) but there were no geostorms. I wanted (i think) the 93 gsi. it had the biggest throttle plate. i don't know jack about wires though, i think you are supposed to splice wires etc etc to get it to work. i would love to do it though

dual intake cam mod is way over my knowledge level too. shawnv pretty much does all the hard things i've done to my car so far(5th gear swap, etc)- but i'd love to do the dual intake cam mod too

i've not only done the struts, i did an entire suspension overhaul, all the sway bars etc.

i think the motor mounts are good, was thinking of doing them but shawnv said he thought they looked good, no cracks, not a big gap where a pen would fit through it, etc

speakers have been done sufficiently. got those 20 dollar speakers from wallyworld that people on here recommended

head unit- would like to do this just affraid i would do that thing where it locks your stereo

idk why people like to paint their gen 1 valve covers. i think silver colored looks much better...goes good with my silver colored aem sri- guess its personal preference

rims i am set on for at least another 66k miles

swap out gauges would be cool. not all my lights behind the gauges work- a few times they have come on for a day or so and i love it, cause i can read them better at night, but thats been like 3 days out of almost 2 years, don't know how to see if there is a short or whatever

interior i don't really care about fwiw. perhaps patch a hole in my carpet on the drivers side, but it is under the floor mat. but i wouldn't mind nice OEM floor mats

porting out the intake and messing with the runners(which i don't even know what those are) sounds like one of those things i don't want some random "ase certified" mechanic doing, but rather someone professional, which sounds expensive

my preference if i were able to do all these:

1. geo storm throttle body
2. dual cam mod
3. head unit
4. porting intake
5. paint job
6. oem floor mats
6. gauge lights

honorable mention: trunk light bulb, the rubber gasket around the doors(rain doesn't get in, but a little bit of water gets through at the car wash)

between the suspension work, exhaust work, wheels/tires, and other stuff, i'm probably in for about 3800, so the other part of me says f it

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2014, 10:26 PM   #10
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

The throttle body wiring is real simple IIRC. If you acquire one we can work that out no problem. Dual intake cam mod isn't hard either. You are supposed to remove the head and grind a nub off, but for simplicity you take the camshaft to a machine shop and have the ring ground off instead. Properly resetting the timing may prove difficult without removing the timing chain cover, I haven't tried it (yet!).

Intake porting isn't hard to do. Pull one at the J/Y and use it (even if just for practice). You want to make the entire internal surface smooth, that is all. This is a cylinder head, but the same principles still apply.

Fixing gauge lighting is easy and cheap. Different Racing has a writeup for how to remove the cluster, and SuperBrightLeds has nice *bright* lights you can put in it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:03 PM   #11
jhonky

1998 SL2

i just don't have the technical expertise, or tools to do this

i just bought a oem radio with equalizer buttons. probably a dumb purchase cause now i want the cd player with equalizer buttons(i don't use cds, but there is some cell phone mount thing that goes into the cd player that i want)

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-18-2014, 09:35 PM   #12
StephenRM
StephenRM is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Just get an aftermarket head unit. They sound a lot better, and like 99% of them have built in AUX jacks in the front (or Bluetooth even).

And you can also fit double DIN size units like this!

Would love something like this in my car!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to StephenRM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help StephenRM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
StephenRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:19 PM   #13
jhonky

1998 SL2

so since i've last bumped this, i've gotten a new clutch, got the amr front tower strut bar, fixed my cluster lights, and gotten an oem cassette radio with equalizer. the darn thing is missing most of the lights though...AND doesn't like my casette to aux adapter. even bought a cleaning tape, which did remove the word "clean" from the display

the cluster lights has been a to do for a few years now

easy to find oem car mats at the junkyard?

i saw a post on here once where someone put the back seat of an ion in our s series, or something like that. it looked nice

after all this i think all that could go would be the engine or timing chain

gonna put the energy suspension in it sooner or later too, need to hit up shawnv!

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #14
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonky View Post
i saw a post on here once where someone put the back seat of an ion in our s series, or something like that. it looked nice
Are you thinking of the SC rear into the SL? If I ever find a first gen SC with a gray interior, I plan on doing that. the center console in the back looks awesome

'95 SL 5 Speed 220k - DD
'95 SW2 5 Speed 230k - Gone!
'95 Camaro Z28 - Project
'00 Tahoe Z71 - Truck stuff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wi111y's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wi111y reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:04 AM   #15
jhonky

1998 SL2

^i am pretty sure it was a totally different car. maybe an ion or l200 or something. it looked nice. might only work on gen 3 though.

just got the energy suspension bushings in

my wish list is pretty much windshield, new oem stereo that works better than the one i got, floor mats that aren't in horrible shape, and paint job for passenger side front fender

lightweight flywheel, geo storm throttle body, cam mod will probably all never happen

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-07-2014, 05:29 AM   #16
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonky View Post

just got the energy suspension bushings in
Hey jhonky, which bushings did you replace?

Can you provide a comparison in ride experience?

Did/are you doing an alignment?

Thanks!

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #17
jhonky

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcher View Post
Hey jhonky, which bushings did you replace?

Can you provide a comparison in ride experience?

Did/are you doing an alignment?

Thanks!
In the waiting room right now, for the alignment.

I haven't had a chance to notice differences yet. I didn't replace all of them. 1 is a serious pita, the other was the control arm I think. I can't remember the exact names, shawnv did most of the work, he would know the exact names

I guess initially it feels like I have more power over the car. Like easier to get it to go where I want it, if that makes sense. I am sure there is some euphemism that if I heard would think aptly describes the increased handling

Total suspension overhaul + suspension bushings + amr strut mount bar + alignment = me happy

And poor

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2014, 05:29 AM   #18
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

If your phone is Android, get a Bluetooth OBDII adapter (find on Ebay or Amazon.com) then get the Torque Pro app ($5, https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en). It's not a free app, but the plugins are free, and plentiful! This is something under $20 total (not including phone, obviously), and is really cool! It's useful too.

1998 Red SL 5spd "The Right Honorable Duke Farnsworth the Functional of Clearfield":165,000 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally": 307,100+ miles
1993 White SW2 5spd "Steve": 234,984 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sallydriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:04 PM   #19
98SatSl2
98SatSl2 is just really nice98SatSl2 is just really nice98SatSl2 is just really nice98SatSl2 is just really nice98SatSl2 is just really nice

1998 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenRM View Post
Just get an aftermarket head unit. They sound a lot better, and like 99% of them have built in AUX jacks in the front (or Bluetooth even).

And you can also fit double DIN size units like this!

Would love something like this in my car!
HEY! just to warn you, I had a double din in mine for all of two days because it barely fits in there. So, it pushed the rear defroster button up about 3-4 mm. I hated how it wasn't flush so I went back to a single din.

98 Forrest Green manual SL1- Rufus
-06/14/11-5/25/14-rear ended
98 Maroon manual SL1- Daphne
-96k miles-115k (10/23/15)- 140k (4/9/18)
-06/12/14-current

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98SatSl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98SatSl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98SatSl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:14 PM   #20
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Drain and fill your manual trans.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote