SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2013, 01:33 AM   #1
kurt5153
kurt5153 is on a distinguished road

Default exhaust system

I want a lil noise but cheap. Im thinking either remove the resonator n keep the rest stock or just chop the muffler off n run it. Witch would give the best sound?
2001 sc2 5spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kurt5153's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kurt5153 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kurt5153 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2
Default Re: exhaust system

I replaced my muffler with a plain 'ole cherrybomb. Not obnoxiously loud and sounds decent to me. Stock cams do get significantly louder and sharper at 3k and again around 4.5k.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I think the stock cams are going slightly lean at those RPMs. Someone with a WBO2 and stock cams could confirm this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt5153 View Post
I want a lil noise but cheap. Im thinking either remove the resonator n keep the rest stock or just chop the muffler off n run it. Witch would give the best sound?
2001 sc2 5spd
neither. a clear understanding of what each part does might help, tho. remove the resonator will change the tone of the exhaust to something you might imagine coming out of a mcdonalds straw. removing the muffler will simply make it sound like a car with no muffler.

there is no decent cheap mod to correct this. but you can try it and tell us what you think...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member
Recycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura about

"Best sound" depends on the opinion of the person listening to the exhaust, I personally have only heard one saturn with aftermarket exhaust that I liked, and he was running SDA race cams.

IMO though a Saturn with no muffler sounds better than the OBX catback. I guess I just wasn't a fan of the sound

1998 SL2-AMR Strut Bar, AEM CAI, and 119,XXX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Recycled Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Recycled Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Recycled Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
Jim97sl2
Jim97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

If you want a little more noise consider looking into an air intake. A short ram is inexpensive and gives a nice note while on the gas but mostly quiet otherwise. They sound good with the aluminum intake manifolds. I am not sure how that Gen 3 composite intake material changes the sound. My guess is it would be a little quieter than Gen 1 & 2. I am sure someone here has one on a Gen 3 Twin cam.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim97sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

so when i take left turns something is rubbing on my new exhaust. was trying to find a diagram, but i think its one of the bars that goes diagonally from around where the muffler is to the wheel. been doing it since i got it, anyway i can fix it? its only when its a real sharp left like a u turn or going up a hill...doesn't always do it

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonky View Post
so when i take left turns something is rubbing on my new exhaust. was trying to find a diagram, but i think its one of the bars that goes diagonally from around where the muffler is to the wheel. been doing it since i got it, anyway i can fix it? its only when its a real sharp left like a u turn or going up a hill...doesn't always do it
I'd talk to the folks that put it on. It may be a hanging too low, or it may need need some more work in order to clear the suspension.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote