SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 06:56 AM   #1
ddeuces22
Advanced Member
ddeuces22 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default 1st and 2nd gen mid-penn cam regrinds

These regrinds are for the flat-tappet cams. NOT the 3rd gen cams. Please do not ask about what they offer for 3rd gen cams, they don't offer anything. He's done some sohc cam grinds in the past, I have a dohc though, so I didn't ask for info about them.

This is for all of you out there looking for a nice set of cams, but don't want to spend the $500+ for gude cams.

A guy with username garland on sixthsphere originally designed these mid-Penn cams back in the day. He used a company called American custom cams and they still have his profile on record. They offer a stage 1 and stage 2 regrind. You simply send in your cams, he will regrind them and you pay shipping back.

Stage 1 is their street version
Stage 2 is their more aggressive profile and would require tuning and solid lifters
Both grinds cost the same. I was originally quoted $200, but a fellow saturnfan and sixthsphere member recently called and was quoted $150. Imo that is one hell of a deal, especially with the limited market that is available to us. Jon is the guy to ask for and their company website is:
WWW.americancustomcam.com
Phone number is on the website and you can expect a 7-10 day turnaround time. I hope this helps some people out, I know a few on sixthsphere are already jumping on this

96 sl2 stage 1 midpenn cams,91/92 header,2.25 ss exhaust, ported and polished head, groundpounder, sda bones, pimped tranny mount, .40 o/s pistons, .25 u/s rods, .25 u/s crank,19mm progress swaybar

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddeuces22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddeuces22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddeuces22 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
MadPuppy
Advanced Member
MadPuppy is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Re: 1st and 2nd gen mid-penn cam regrinds

That is really nice, my car is a DD so I can't really justify cracking it open when nothing is wrong, so I would not use the cams I have now, I'm looking for some other cams I can buy and send. Is this a limited time GB or is American Custom Cams taking orders for Saturn re-grinds anytime?

National Debt is a loan, with nothing of serious value given by the lender in exchange for your time and labor, it's a loan we can't pay off, and the financial system as it is would end if we did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MadPuppy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MadPuppy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MadPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Most of these are ground on an automatic grinder so they stay available unless you throw away the program. There is probably head work required or recommended with this regrind as it changes the base circle.

Interest in this type of project goes up markedly if the cam lift and duration profile info is available.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Most of these are ground on an automatic grinder so they stay available unless you throw away the program. There is probably head work required or recommended with this regrind as it changes the base circle.

Interest in this type of project goes up markedly if the cam lift and duration profile info is available.

Ill be calling Joe up this afternoon, and I'll see if he'll send off the cam card for the Stage I set that i'll be buying.

'02 SL1 [w/ a snail-shaped muffler]
'06 Vue RL
Saturn Night is Special ED.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadPuppy View Post
That is really nice, my car is a DD so I can't really justify cracking it open when nothing is wrong, so I would not use the cams I have now, I'm looking for some other cams I can buy and send. Is this a limited time GB or is American Custom Cams taking orders for Saturn re-grinds anytime?
No buy-in. Call up and place an order. Of course ill hopefully have more information for everyone by 4pm

'06 Vue RL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Find out if the street grind requires sinking the valves.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
ddeuces22
Advanced Member

1996 SL2

@madpuppy if they've kept the profiles on record this long I can't imagine them deleting them now, especially with the sudden business he's getting. It's not a group-buy, but when demand increases for a product, prices tend to increase as well.hopefully that won't be the case, but you never know.

@oldnuc when I called a few weeks ago he made it seem like the stage 1's were a drop in and go. Obviously tuning will help bring out the potential of this mod and is recommended with any cam swap.

My initial phone call with *joe was just to get some baseline prices and to notify the community of what was available. Alex has been in touch with them recently, so he's gonna have the most information for us. Hopefully he can elaborate on oldnuc's question and get us a cam card as well.

96 sl2 stage 1 midpenn cams,91/92 header,2.25 ss exhaust, ported and polished head, groundpounder, sda bones, pimped tranny mount, .40 o/s pistons, .25 u/s rods, .25 u/s crank,19mm progress swaybar

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ddeuces22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

Alright, called back and here's what I've learned:

- He wont release the cam card before the purchase.
- Turn around time at the moment should be a week.
- Stage I's are completely drop in, no valve sinking.
- He has SOHC specs(just needs to locate them).
- He also has 3rd gen(roller rocker) grinds, Stage I & II

'06 Vue RL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
ddeuces22
Advanced Member

1996 SL2

Nice work Alex.... If a mod sees this and wants to change the title to include 3rd gens or take out the 1st and 2nd gen part feel free

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

I thought I recognized the name, this company has been around the racing scene for a long time. They are only about a 1/2 hour from me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness10 View Post
I thought I recognized the name, this company has been around the racing scene for a long time. They are only about a 1/2 hour from me.
Pop in and say hello. Joe seems like a cool guy and is more involved in the Saturn world than I previously thought.

'06 Vue RL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #12
Speedrc99
Speedrc99 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Are these re-grinds going to be a lasting availability? Or is it a more limited time, get them while the gettin's good sort of deal?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Speedrc99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Speedrc99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Speedrc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #13
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

He'll keep making them as long as you guys send in the cams that you want ground.

Ive got an extra set of 3rd gen cams if someone wants to buy them off of me to use as cores.

'06 Vue RL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #14
Speedrc99
Speedrc99 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Very tempting, too bad I need to be saving money for school or else I'd have a set of cams from the yard all boxed up already..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Speedrc99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Speedrc99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Speedrc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:14 AM   #15
BlazinREdSL2
BlazinREdSL2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexofNazareth View Post
Alright, called back and here's what I've learned:

- He wont release the cam card before the purchase.
- Turn around time at the moment should be a week.
- Stage I's are completely drop in, no valve sinking.
- He has SOHC specs(just needs to locate them).
- He also has 3rd gen(roller rocker) grinds, Stage I & II
Yes!! Straight drop in seems amazing.

Now let's hope tuning goes through.
We can make some fairly cheap builds with a kick!

Red 95 sl2 modded. --sold
93 Green sl2m ----stripped
97 sc2m---current
Geo Storm TB, 2.5 Custom Cat back, Custom Ram-air intake,
Pulse wheels 15'',Weight reduction, Lowered .5'', CF Hood

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlazinREdSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlazinREdSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BlazinREdSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:59 AM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Take a look at this. Innovate MTX-L Pn 3844

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #17
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

Just sent my cams in. Ill report back once the transaction/work is all done.

'06 Vue RL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

J/Y run this weekend for a set of cores.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2013, 12:44 AM   #19
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Would someone mind pointing me to informative reading material regarding stages and cam grinding? I assume the goal would be more lift and/or duration, but wouldn't grinding only give less of each; or is the goal to change the circle:lobe ratio and thereby increase both?

Sorry for the intrusion, this just seems like a good mod and I'm not finding much on how or why it works.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

How it works is why I wanted a cam card. It is possible to metal spray a cam to build up the lobes and then grind a more aggressive profile on the result. If you cut the base circle you end up running out of hydraulic adjust unless you increase the stem height. Cutting the base circle will increase both lift and duration. This is why the intake cam mod works as it increases exhaust lift 0.01" and 12 engine degrees of duration.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!